IGNORED

Autocom in fairing box

KDeline

No reason - I've had mine in there for over a year and it works fine - never gotten wet or damaged. I run the lead for my helmet under the plastic and put a coiled extension on it, bring it across the front of the handlebars and plug in from the right side of the bike as I am looking forward. I take power off the battery and run the wire under the right side tupperware. It's a great arrangement! Good luck!

OH - SINCE MY XM Roady is right between the handlebars I got a shortened XM antennal lead and it runs right down into the autocom unit no problem. Garmin 2710 is on a ram mount between the handlebars as well, again a short cable run to the Autocom.

Beyond wanting the storage space available for something else? No.

You have to think a bit about when the bike has to be disassembled for something (like tank removal for ABS servicing) and how having the box 'hard wired' in place may effect the procedure, but with some planning of wire routing that can be worked around too.

When I had my 1150RT that's where I stuffed the Autocom and it worked fine. I ran the wires out through the big rubber grommet in the front of the fairing box. On the 1150RT there is a switched power source a few inches in front of the fairing box, so it made for short power leads. The Autocom Pro M-1 didn't take up much space, so there is plenty of room for other stuff. The new Autocoms take up even less room.

I carefully stretched the grommet so that I could run all the Autocom cables through it and maintain the watertight seal.

If you have an 1100RT, there are two wires taped onto the oil return line that runs from the oil cooler past/behind the glove box. One is purple (hot), the other is brown (ground). This is filtered power for what was then the optional factory radio. It is a perfect place to get clean power for your Autocom. The only downside is that the power stays on when you shut off the key. You have to turn the key further, to the fork lock position, in order to shut off the power. (I haven't done this to an 1150RT, but I believe if you have/had the factory radio wiring harness on your bike, there are similar wires -- I just don't know the colors used).

I run my Autocom, XM and V1 in my tank bag. But I took my power from these two wires. I ran the power to a 12V lighted rocker switch (Pep Boys) that I installed on my dashboard. I put an inline, gold-plated Dean's Plug between the power source and the rocker switch to make it easier if I ever have to remove my dashboard. This way, the ignition key doesn't have to be turned to the fork lock position to shut everything off. All I have to do is flick the rocker switch. And if I forget, the lighted switch reminds me.

If you're looking to install your Autocom in the glove box, you could easily run a similar system with the power going back to the glove box rather than out to a tankbag, such as I did. It gives you complete control.

My autocom is in the fairing box, as well as the valentine audio unit, a cell phone holder, and a cigarrette lighter socket for the cell phone charger. still have room for stuff. I run the autocom lead for the helmet up to my touratech GPS mount and have it secured there. easy to get to, no dangling wires.

My autocom is in the fairing box, as well as the valentine audio unit, a cell phone holder, and a cigarrette lighter socket for the cell phone charger. still have room for stuff. I run the autocom lead for the helmet up to my touratech GPS mount and have it secured there. easy to get to, no dangling wires.

Pictures! We need pictures !!

Alan

• 1 month later...

with autocom in fairing box with radio removed can I use the power wires from radio to power autocom and V1. looks like brown comes from battery and red wire w/ white stripe is hot all the time and thinner purple wire w/ black stripe shuts off when key is turned to fork lock

I used a BMW stereo plug to tap the power in the radio harness, about $15, I think. It runs the XM, cell, whatever else has an adapter. I got much better sound with the Autocom power wires connected directly to the battery. The whole enchilada fits in the box with room to adjust the Autocom knob. 650151-DSC00137.JPG

650151-DSC00137.JPG.b642305358b2dbd7467a8c2dac0c80a0.JPG

Archived