IGNORED

FM radio antenna keeps coming loose

Over

So I have almost 1500 miles on the 2013 RT SE with factory radio.

It replaced a 2008 model which had 80,000 miles (also had a factory radio).

I swapped my CeeBailey wider and taller screen, but for some reason the 2013 model seems to flap around much more and this causes it to un screw, and it nearly fell off today ( cruise control let me tighten it up as I was riding on a freeway( motorway) with no safe stopping places...

Anyone else had this ? Should I nut lock it ? Should I try and stiffen antenna with some heat shrink tube?

I think the screen has something to play, as when fully retracted the antenna is much less disturbed by wind.

So I have almost 1500 miles on the 2013 RT SE with factory radio.

It replaced a 2008 model which had 80,000 miles (also had a factory radio).

I swapped my CeeBailey wider and taller screen, but for some reason the 2013 model seems to flap around much more and this causes it to un screw, and it nearly fell off today ( cruise control let me tighten it up as I was riding on a freeway( motorway) with no safe stopping places...

Anyone else had this ? Should I nut lock it ? Should I try and stiffen antenna with some heat shrink tube?

I think the screen has something to play, as when fully retracted the antenna is much less disturbed by wind.

Odd. Not heard of that. I had a similar problem with my Hex Head, so I check the antenna on my Cam Head often; it's tight. I have the OWM windshield. You might run by the dealer and see what they say....although they might blame it on the CeeBaily, they might suggest a cure.....they've seen a lot of odd-ball stuff over the years..... ;)

The same thing happens to me on my 2012. I'm using the smaller CeeBailey screen. I have to regularly check and often tighten my antenna, in addition, I found that adjusting the antenna forward helps keep it still while riding.

Tuck

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the antenna, and see it's an M6 thread, but it's not wide enough to get a star washer on, but a small split washer and a pair of pliers ( with padding) seems to have tightened it up.

I also put the antenna in its forward ( more upright) position.

Only did 50 miles today, but song far so good...

Archived