IGNORED

Alaska

SandersWalker

Has anyone ridden an R1100rt to Alaska 2 up?

Looking for input.

My wife & I will be doing so in late June thru July :grin:

basketcase has it right... there are tons of ride reports available, and the bottom line is that it easily be done on about any bike, including harleys and scooters (seriously, if you didn't already see those threads).

Question is no longer how rough the ride is, as its really pretty good all the way up, but range is a factor for planning, and the RT does well with that compared to the majority of bikes. The RT is obviously not a GS, but it handles plenty fine on gravel (i live on a gravel road, and used to live in alaska), which is the worst you'd see if you just want to do the normal trip up there.

Where the ADV bikes are a plus is when you venture away from the main roads, and that starts a whole different topic.

In short, I've done that ride a couple times, and ridden around Alaska and the Yukon, and the RT is fine for the roads, with the only caveat being the oddball potential nasty stuff that may come from a wet, torn up construction site.

Get the MilePost, if you don't already have it.

Has anyone ridden an R1100rt to Alaska 2 up?

Looking for input.

My wife & I will be doing so in late June thru July :grin:

Welcome to the board. With a little looking you can read other folks posts about their travels, some of whom have posted trip reports about an Alaska ride.

HOON ON THE LOOSE

If you go to the Forum titled Ride Tales and then scroll to the bottom of the page you'll see you can reset your view so that you can see older posts. Happy reading.

If you look at that Ride Tales Forum you'll see there is a sticky thread at the top RIDE TALES THAT LAST . Happy reading.

You can get to AK on pavement. However, be prepared for very long open grate bridge sections, road construction, long distances between services, limited services, and adverse weather. Always talk to folk about the road ahead and plan accordingly.

If you want to go to the arctic circle, or other points north (Dalton Hwy/Haul Rd to Deadhorse/Prudhoe or the Dempster to Inuvik) you need to be prepared for long rides on dirt in variable conditions, which so far as I have read (we didn't go up there) can include deep gravel, extremely slick surfaces, mud, and high speed trucks.

As indicated above, The Milepost and other's ride tales are your friends.

I am looking forward to trying again in an RV!

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=789818&Searchpage=2&Main=70750&Words=Twisties&Search=true#Post789818

Michelin Pilot Road 2s. However, the only gravel I rode on was the construction stretches, probably no more that a total of 50 miles. I got back to Denver, after 6200 miles, with plenty of tread left.

SandersWalker
Michelin Pilot Road 2s. However, the only gravel I rode on was the construction stretches, probably no more that a total of 50 miles. I got back to Denver, after 6200 miles, with plenty of tread left.

ok thanks for he info.

Hi Sanders

I was Litigators riding partner on the Alaska ride from my home in Calgary, the tires I used were newly installed Dunlop Sportsmax Roadsmart 2s.

The Alaska trip for me was about 7000 Kilometers and I put om another 3000K after that. Both tires are showing the usual flat bottom wear pattern but I expect to get another 5-6,000 K this summer and will probably put a new set on next winter.

When I purchased the bike it had about 3000K on a set of Roadsmarts and I racked up another 14,000 on a very hot and high speed (and slightly under inflated) run to Key West Florida.

While I ride 99% solo, I suspect fully loaded for for two weeks on the road I'am using up about 300lbs of the bikes total GVW.

Litigator was right about the frost heaves on the Yukon section of the trip, a collapsed shock, lost saddle bag and a flat spot on the rear rim made for an rough ride.

The trip was well worth the difficulties and I would not hesitate to do it again, I would be glad to answer any questions you may have on your planned trip.

Ron in Calgary

Archived