IGNORED

Differences in GSA years

ncsonderman

I'm pretty sure that I've decided to add a GSA to my stable. That being said, I don't have off road riding experience. I'd like to inquire about the major design changes in the GSA line between 2006-2013. I'm aware that the new GSAW is a phenom, but I would like to cut my teeth on a used bike.

I am a very aggresive streetbike rider having taken roadrace schools and done multiple track days over the years.

I've been looking at great bikes for sale for a while and am ready to jump.

Thanks for the help.

BTW - I'm tall and physically capable of handling a big bike.

2006/7 Hexhead motor.

bmw-r-1200-gs-adventure-front.jpg

2008/9 Slight restyle in beak.

bmw__r_1200_gs_adventure__navi__sports_exhaust_2008_1_lgw.jpg

2010 Camhead motor. Different valve adjustment procedure.

2012_BMW_R_1200_GS_Adventure_307900.jpg

Pat

Are the valves on the 2010 and later now adjusted with the shims? Are there any items that need to be paid more particular attention in different years such as final drive failures or ABS module problems?

I see the 06/07 pic got nuked. Different beak as far as styling goes. Brakes were updated in 07 or 08 I believe, Simpler system no power assist, forget the terminology at the moment.

Valves use a semi sphere instead of a shim. Basically same function. A great pictorial here.

There has been some concern about valve adjustments on the new 2010 R1200 GS and RT, the job is very straight forward as show here. Head with the valve cover removed.

Not sure why the link isn't linking, cut and paste should work.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Settled on a 13 GSA Triple Black. Loved the look and also the fact that it's the final year of the camhead. Seams like they'll have worked out all of the kinks by this point. Really love the 14 GSAW, but can't justify the extra $3,500 to step up. I'll love this bike even more knowing the deal I got on it :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

The 10- newer is smoother, faster.

The best part, I think is the cost of operation is lower on the 10- newer due to the extended service intervals overall.

There are styling changes, aux. lighting changes, etc. but the less cost per mile on the 10 and newer I think will pay for itself compared to a say a 2009.

Best to call a dealer and ask what it costs to do the minor and major services on the year models you are considering and what the intervals are.

What are the extended intervals?

Quick check at A&S site and nothing jumped out comparing 6k& anuual, 12k and annual wrt fluids/valves so I guess I missed it.

Thanks.

Settled on a 13 GSA Triple Black. Loved the look and also the fact that it's the final year of the camhead. Seams like they'll have worked out all of the kinks by this point

That's true, but better said that they've worked out all the kinks they're going to work out, as it's now a superceded model.

Unless of course some safety or emissions issue causes the guvmint to force a recall.

Archived