IGNORED

replacing 'only' clutch disk

Twinsig

Saw info on this somewhere, tried searching, sorry for any repeat thread. Im working on/preparing for a trans project.....

What are the pitfalls of changing only the disk?

ok, since youre here....

Any sources for the disk other than the $168.00 unit from AScycles?

Thanks

Do you ever talk to yourself?

Do you ask yourself questions AND answer them?

Twinsig, I don't think you can decide until you have the clutch apart. If the driven plate and the cover have scorched spots and fine cracks, I would change them too. If the metal surfaces look fairly pristine, then just the clutch disk. These parts on my 99 RT were looking pretty worn at 97,000 miles, so I did the entire clutch pack.

Consider also the amount of work required to split the bike, replace the clutch, and put everything back together again — if you value your time, you may prefer to replace the whole pack and not worry. Peace of mind has quite a high value for me, and this is a job I hope never to have to do again! I'm 67, and currently put on about 5000 miles a year, so the clutch is likely to last longer than I will.

Afternoon Twinsig

If you plan on re-using the housing & cover (first) mark the position of the originals BEFORE removing them.

Those parts have balance paint marks as built but in a lot of cases the paint marking is gone or rusted over.

If you mark position before removable you will be glad you did at re-assembly time.

Thanks y'all, this issue is part of a rebuild project on my orig trans (80k), which also includes the orig clutch components, disk is 5.8mm. I'll take pics of the (80k) parts and post em.

Current clutch parts in bike have 114k, no issues. No telling how many mi on the current Trans, i doubt PO bought a new one.

I seem to have the rebuild itch and if successful i can leave it alone for a long time. Maybe.

Bump/repeat question:

ok, since youre here....

Any sources for the disk other than the $168.00 unit from AScycles?

It just seems pricey, and along with $160 in bearings + $40 or so in seals this is going to be a pricey "project".

Maybe i should sell it and get into basket weaving..

Archived