IGNORED

Anything to check on 12k Service?

Deek

I've put quite a few miles on my 2013 RT. Seems like it just had the 6k service and new Michelin PR tires, now my dash tells me it's time for the 12k service.

Anyone give me suggestions on what additional things I need to have checked or serviced, even if the manual doesn't call for it? I do NOT do my own service, but I take it to a dealer I trust.

I recall on prior RT's I've had the final drive fluid inspected/replaced. Consensus on whether this is required?

Any other thing to which I ought to pay particular attention? So far I have had no issues with the handlebar switch gear, although the turn signal is a bit stiff, and the cruise control "paddle" is flimsy. But all works as it ought to do.

Thanks.

I do the final drive fluid at every oil change. Doesn't take long and the fluid needed is inexpensive.

Yeah, I'm going to have them change and inspect the FD fluid. Seems like cheap insurance as long as they actually inspect it.

Morning Deek

The best time to do the final drive service is at rear tire change time. (usually not a whole lot longer than oil change times)

To access the final drive the rear wheel has to come off & the muffler needs to be swung out.

At rear tire change you are most of the way to the final drive service. At engine oil change you still have to remove the rear wheel & partially remove the muffler.

I don't have the official list of services for 12K but when I had mine in last fall they did a transmission oil change, rear drive oil change (done at 6K, too), a brake fluid flush and they did a clutch fluid flush (probably not needed and I didn't ask for it but they did it anyway) And engine oil and filter, of course, using semi-synth.

Pricey for all that and I'll be doing the next service myself but glad to have a competent, trusted tech do the work this time.

pete

Morning Deek

The best time to do the final drive service is at rear tire change time. (usually not a whole lot longer than oil change times)

To access the final drive the rear wheel has to come off & the muffler needs to be swung out.

At rear tire change you are most of the way to the final drive service. At engine oil change you still have to remove the rear wheel & partially remove the muffler.

Rats - I had a tire change when I had my 6k service done at 7500 miles......never thought about having the FD checked then.

I don't have the official list of services for 12K but when I had mine in last fall they did a transmission oil change, rear drive oil change (done at 6K, too), a brake fluid flush and they did a clutch fluid flush (probably not needed and I didn't ask for it but they did it anyway) And engine oil and filter, of course, using semi-synth.

Pricey for all that and I'll be doing the next service myself but glad to have a competent, trusted tech do the work this time.

pete

Yeah, not cheap. For for those of us who are lucky enough to have a good, honest service department, and don't want to, or cannot do their own maintenance it's worth it.....at least for me. I could probably do the oil change myself, but I figure that wouldn't save me much of the 12k service fee.

Archived