IGNORED

2011 RT 12,000 mile valve adjustment advise needed

Dirtmerchant

At 7,250 miles the Right Bottom Intake was a snug .15

At 12,000 mile check the Right Bottom Intake valve is tightening up, .13 fit on the loose side but .15 was a no go. Semi-Spher is 5350x

All other Intakes valves were loose .15 but .20 was no go; probably .16/.17….

All Exhaust were .35 some loose some snugger….

Advise needed on Right Bottom Intake, I know it is technically within spec but on the tight order, I'm thinking I need Part Number 11347721189  SEMI-SPHERE - 5,30

Thoughts????

Thanks,

Rodney

Morning Rodney

That 5.30mm is basically your only next choice if ordering through the BMW parts system.

At that .13mm now you might end up a little on the tight side by next check if it hasn't settled down yet (personally I like them a little looser than tighter)

If you are friendly with your local BMW parts manager or service manager you might talk them into allowing you to mic. the take outs that they probably have laying around in a box or bag. BMW has used some 1/2 sizes on factory builds so maybe something a little closer in the bag.

D.R.

Thanks for the reply. What should I be looking for? Something in the 5.325 range?

Have you had any luck re-gapping plugs on these motors? Most gaps were at 1.mm, some slightly more, some wear but not too bad.

Thanks,

Rodney

My bike had several of the half sized spheres in it from the factory, but (as you know) not available to buy.

I mix and matched 6 of the valves and made them the best I could. Beyond that you're overthinking it. If it's within the spec it's fine. You'll check it again soon enough.

D.R.

Thanks for the reply. What should I be looking for? Something in the 5.325 range?

Have you had any luck re-gapping plugs on these motors? Most gaps were at 1.mm, some slightly more, some wear but not too bad.

Morning Rodney

You will just have to take mic to the dealer & see what they might have that is close. Anything closer than what is available would be great & if nothing available then go with the closest full size available.

Re- gapping those plugs is not suggested (especially in the tighter direction). I have opened them slightly for some uses but tighter is very difficult without chancing future electrode fracture.

Greg and DR,

Thanks for the input, picked up a new 5300x and it is at .15 so all is well.

Went to NGK website, they do not recommend re gapping these plugs so I picked up a new set.

Thanks again!

Rodney

Archived