IGNORED

Electrical question

Lawman

When looking for a 12v switched power source needed to install my motolights I was told I could use what I understood to be the green striped wire on the six wire plug under the passenger seat (diagnostic plug). When I tried that wire it would come on when I turned the switch on but once my test light came on it would not go off even after turning off the switch..Consequently I ended up using the high beam headlight wire for 12v switched power..Today when I again tested the green wire on the diagnostic plug I was not able to get the test light to come on at all regardless of the switch position. Does my 05 R1200RT have a fuse for that plug or is something else going on here? Thanks..

I will be dealing with the same question as soon as some parts come in. Hopefully by then someone will answer the question. I will test mine this weekend to see if it acts the same way.

I just tapped into one of the small (allways on) "parking lights" to get switched power. This I use to power up a fused relay that I installed under the seat. There are probably more elegant ways to do it, but this has worked for me.

When looking for a 12v switched power source needed to install my motolights I was told I could use what I understood to be the green striped wire on the six wire plug under the passenger seat (diagnostic plug). When I tried that wire it would come on when I turned the switch on but once my test light came on it would not go off even after turning off the switch..Consequently I ended up using the high beam headlight wire for 12v switched power..Today when I again tested the green wire on the diagnostic plug I was not able to get the test light to come on at all regardless of the switch position. Does my 05 R1200RT have a fuse for that plug or is something else going on here? Thanks..

Works fine on my 12GS. I used the green wire and the relay turns on and off with the key. I never tried it with a test light because the test light may pull too much power and cause a fault in the canbus.

Jim cool.gif

Works fine on my 12GS. I used the green wire and the relay turns on and off with the key. I never tried it with a test light because the test light may pull too much power and cause a fault in the canbus.

Jim

If that's what's going on here what will need to be done to correct it? or is the bike now worthless? eek.gif

I tried the red wire on the diagnostic plug for hyper lites and that is obviously always on so it did not work. Then i USED THE POWER FROM THE AUX SOCKET which is switced with delay and that is fine.

Jim

If that's what's going on here what will need to be done to correct it? or is the bike now worthless? eek.gif

I responded a while back to Lawman in PM, but basically it just records the fault code in the computer. It shouldn't actually hurt anything. At worst, disconnect the battery and reconnect it, but you shouldn't even have to do that.

Jim cool.gif

Archived