IGNORED

Dry Clutch Gone

Mr. Frank

Now that the bikes that are replacing the oilheads have a wet clutch, is the BMW dry clutch gone? Are clutch spline failures a thing of the past?

Morning Frank

On the BMW wet clutch boxer bikes the conventional trans spline failures are probably pretty well gone but with BMW's engineering past history I'm willing to bet that it will just be replaced with another engineering or build snafu. I think there is already some clutch issues that BMW has had to address on the wet clutch boxers.

Now they've got water pump failures instead. :)

That's the 1600. Do the wasser boxer water pumps leak? Other than switchgear problems, I haven't heard of anything bad about the water heads.

Come on you guys. Don't underestimate BMW.

Even if the clutch splines don't fail, there will be other bugs and faults that will come.

Don't worry, we will have plenty to post. And fun rescuing those stuck out there wherever.

dc

That's why I usually ride a nine year old 1150GS. I can anticipate the failures and plan accordingly. I don't like surprises.

There is a lot to be said for this approach.

F650gs single dead WP at 18k

F650gs twin, leaking WP at 11,500

I have no faith in bmw water pumps.

Just sayin.

I hope they get it right this time but......

I joined the BMW family in 94 with a K75rt. 138 thousand miles later I purchased a R1150rt with only 5 thousand miles. two years later it has a little over 40 thousand. I have now a little over 178 thousand miles on BMW bikes. Looking to sell the 1150 for a 2014 Rt. I have only bought oil, gas, tires, brake pads, spark plugs, different fluids and one fuel pump for the k75. I figure I wrecked the fuel pump. Ran her near dry 3 times on one out west trip. I heard it squeal for miles as I looked for gas. Very bad planning on my part. The bike had over 100 thousand miles at the time. It never died on the trip but later gave up the ghost at home. They sure have not been bad for me. I do not mind returning to wet clutches but I will miss the paddles for the turn signal. I hate the button set up. I love the idea of no more spline lube.

I will miss the paddles for the turn signal. I hate the button set up.

I hate the paddles for turn signals. Give me a single switch on the left handlebar any day!

I hate the paddles for turn signals. Give me a single switch on the left handlebar any day!

Me too.

BMW water pumps do not leak. German water is simply not permitted to leak. Of course, if you have added or replaced the German water with something else, well...

pete

BMW water pumps do not leak. German water is simply not permitted to leak. Of course, if you have added or replaced the German water with something else, well...

pete

Oh, german water and ethylene glycol leak alright. My guess it's in protest of temperatures beyond what is experienced in the fatherland.

Me too.

Me 3. I still hit the wrong switch for the horn sometimes. :(

Archived