IGNORED

removing both wheels

drtnsnw

Does anyone have a fool proof way to remove both the wheels on the RT?? I just ordered up a set of Angel GT's and only want to make one trip to the shop for mounting. Read about putting the axle back in the front then using a center stand there then a jack on the FD. Does this sound like best practice??

Thanks

Chris

Does anyone have a fool proof way to remove both the wheels on the RT?? I just ordered up a set of Angel GT's and only want to make one trip to the shop for mounting. Read about putting the axle back in the front then using a center stand there then a jack on the FD. Does this sound like best practice??

Thanks

Chris

I've been doing it for years on a variety of bikes.

The trick is all in raising the front securely enough after removing the rear wheel.

There are a variety of methods you can use: a car jack with a small bit of wood under the engine (to avoid breaking the cooling fins at the bottom) is cheap and works well. I've used it for years until the cheap car scissor jack I was using (10€ from a breaker's) broke.

Right now I've shifted to a scissor jack designed for H-D and similar bikes which is much more robust and due to a a wide area of contact allows to spread the weight well, meaning no more bits of woods.

Here's an example using in combination with my ABBA stand.

2013-05-13122411_zps49e6a2b0.jpg

It's very, very solid and also allows for various front end works, like removing the forks.

My way is similar to Kakugo's.

Except I use my lift to raise the rear end--

Wood blocking under engine--

Nylon straps from hand grips to lift--

That's it, remove wheels

"Same thing only different"

If you do not have a lift…

It is not at all hard to remove the rear wheel first… this will let the bike rest on the front wheel. Then use 2X4 wood or other firm things under the exhaust crossover pipe to raise the front wheel for removal. (Lift and slide it under)

The bike is naturally front heavy so the rear will remain in the air… if you feel more comfortable you can slip a small child or other item under the final drive housing just to be safe.

Morning Chris

I usually do both wheels on my bike lift using dedicated M/C jacks but on the few occasions I do it on the pavement or floor I do it pretty close to what is mentioned in the posts above.

First & foremost, I usually break all the front & rear attachment bolts somewhat loose & remove the front fender extension BEFORE lifting the bike off the ground (that alone goes a long way towards preventing knocking the bike off the stand or jack).

Next, I put the bike on the center stand & use a ratchet strap (or rope) to attach the center stand to the front frame work to prevent the center stand from going back over center while working on the bike (personally I consider this a very important step)

Then with the front wheel still on firm ground I remove the rear wheel.

Then, I place a jack under front of engine & lift the front just enough for the wheel to come off, then remove brake calipers & clamping hardware & pull front wheel out.

If the front jack is hydraulic I then block the jack so it can't bleed down. If mechanical jack then OK as is.

Thanks for the info. I don't have a MC jack just a floor jack so I will have to use the center stand. Last time I had to pull both wheels off a bike (KLR) I just hung the dang thing from the rafters of my garage with straps on the bars and the grab bars then put my floor jack under for support. The RT is a little TOO FAT to do that with HAHA!!!

Thanks for all the help and will give an update after my Angel GT's get put on her

Chris

Hi Chris,

I use exactly the method you describe - front axle in, supported with an axle stand, and a jack keeping the back end up.

If I take the front wheel off first, it also means I can get the back end lifted slightly higher than with the wheel on,

which makes clearing the mudguard / fender with the rear wheel easier.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got around to pulling my tires today. Snowing and raining out so it was the perfect time.

Pulled front tire off first. Put jack stand under axle then used floor jack under the cat to put a little foreward pressure on it.

Called up Sierra BMW in Sparks Nv and they said 57.00 to put tires on. Head down and drop off the tires and wheels. By the time I got out of there it was almost 90.00 to mount 2 tires!!! I sure wish they would have used some of that tire lube on me before they stuck it to me like that!! Last time I ever have them do anything. The place I usually have them done said 60 OTD guess I know beeter next time!!

Chris

$90 to change tires? Wow. If you have a Cycle Gear nearby, they will change them for free if you purchase the tires from them.

I've always found their prices to comparable with anyone else.

Mark

yeah, I just went and got the invoice. They charged me 13.00 for wheel weights!!! 12 dollars for valve stems and 2 bucks for shop supplies!!

IT WILL B THE LAST TIME I GO THERE FOR SERVICE!! I am pretty sure they were pissed I brought in parts from the internet. Guy almost spit that word out when he asked me

Live and learn

Chris

Chris wrote:

I am pretty sure they were pissed I brought in parts from the internet.

---------------------------------

I have heard of shops refusing to mount tires they don't sell.

yeah, I just went and got the invoice. They charged me 13.00 for wheel weights!!! 12 dollars for valve stems and 2 bucks for shop supplies!!

IT WILL B THE LAST TIME I GO THERE FOR SERVICE!! I am pretty sure they were pissed I brought in parts from the internet. Guy almost spit that word out when he asked me

Live and learn

Chris

So you bought the tyres from the internet and went to a dealer to fit them?

How much would you say would be a fair price?

I guess you were under the impression that the $57 included removal, cleaning, valve replacement, refitting, balancing, weight fitting and disposal of the old tyres?

If so, did you politely discuss this with the workshop / store manager?

I generally confirm that the price is 'all included' before I authorise any work. This is a reminder to all of us.

The other shop I use is 30 per tire mount and balance and 2 a piece for stems. Was going to Sierra to pick up some parts anyway so with a 57.00 quote I thought it was good to use the dealer and build up a rapport with the service dept. I know better next time.

BTW, I spent almost 100.00 in there an misc. parts and was going to spend more but a couple of things were out of stock I wanted. It was not like I was trying to take advantage of them.

Again, lesson learned

Chris

Tire mounting pricing seems to vary with the culture of the area shops. Some states i've lived in it seemed all the area shops charged zero to mount tires bought from them, as i assume market pressure makes them all want to match what others do, while in other places (like where i live now) all the shops charge for the tire plus for the R&R, and the pricing isn't even reasonable... Based on the price of tires and R&R at local shops here it didn't take long to justify the price of upgrading my tire tooling some years ago.

chris - your idea of hanging stuff from the rafters is not necessarily horrible, if done right (use straps to steady, not to support). Years ago i did the same when I lived in a house with a garage with exposed rafters. I still used the motocycle jack, but added the straps to the rafters as the stabilizers/insurance. Was easy and worked. The straps used by themselves without a stable jack, ya, probably not a great plan.

Harbor Freight (junky) tools sells the moto jack which is affordable and works fine for home use.

another thought: I have my own setup which works great for most of my tire changes, but i have a couple of tire/wheel combos that are especially difficult to work with. In those cases i've been able to remove the old tire (from the bike, then from the rim) at home, then I pay about $10 to have the local shop mount the tire for me. Doesn't make sense that they charge so much for the full meal deal and then so little for the mount, but that's been working for me.

Archived