IGNORED

Oversize Cargo: golf clubs

Zac in NV

My first thought is would my insurance company cover them in the event they fell off or worse.

If you google motorcycle golf clubs you'll see a dozen photos

No affiliation: somebody is doing it

(scroll and click smaller photo in that link to see a KLR mounted golf bag)

Yes.

No.

I use a soft travel bag that covers the clubs and golf bag.

Bmw even makes one.

bmw_golf_club_travel_bag_cover_5_2.jpg

Mount it sideways across pillion seat and saddlebags.

I use some drawer liner (mesh design) under the cover to keep the sadlebags from chafing.

Secure w/loops and rokstraps/H2W ties.

Only issue was coming over a hill at 108 and I think we strted to generate lift...

:grin:

Mount it sideways across pillion seat and saddlebags.

Tim rides an old school KGT with mirrors mounted to the top of the bars and so can see above the load (golf bags).

The RT's mirrors are mounted much lower and likely the load will obstruct your rear view.

Not sure if applicability to the 1100 but on my 03 RT, the workaround is to mount mirrors from a GS, KGT, or KRS (of the same vintage) to the unused mount holes in the hand controls. (Note the KRS left mirror needs modification with a dermel to allow the fast idle to work).

I sure appreciate the suggestions. The rear mount looks like a nicely balanced and secure system. Not sure I want to deal with having to wire and moount an external brake light. I can see an issue with a golf bag mounted lateally across the pillion obstucting the mirrors. Although I have considered mounting an additional mirror aboce the right handlebar anyway.

I may at some point see if I can take the framework from an old golf bag pull cart and modify it to mount vertically on the luggage rack, high enough that it won't interfere with the brake light. Or just use a car when I need my clubs...

Thanks for the responses!

• 2 weeks later...

Really easy on a GSA. Strap em across the pillion position (seat removed) and paniers with roc straps. I've ridden hundreds of miles that way.

I put my clubs in a soft bag and lay them across the rear pilon also.

This is a carry bag not a giant cart bag. I installed two bungee Buddies on each saddlebag and use two strong flat bungees to secure the clubs. The clubs have been carried in this manner from Reno, NV. to Santa Barbara CA then up HWY 1 to San Jose and home with no problems.

Don't be dragging the pegs in corners or lane splitting in traffic.

Forgot to mention, you will need high mounted after market mirrors also. The clubs completely block the stock mirrors which suck even without the clubs.

Love the oversize load sign. :grin:

Hey, Pat...Reno! Thanks for the tip. Not taking the bike, but going to try and golf today in Carson. Come on down!

Put mine with the bag bottom on the pillion right foot rest then strap it down to the side of the top case...usually over-strap it...just in case...

Really easy on a GSA. Strap em across the pillion position (seat removed) and paniers with roc straps. I've ridden hundreds of miles that way.

Did the same on my VSTROMs. Only problem I ever had was a soft cover on my bag shredded from the wind. I did get some funny looks while passing cars with my clubs on the back.

I have carried the clubs by wearing the shoulder strap with the clubs on my back. I only do this when going to the course that is less than mile away. Some times I use the scooter instead of the RT.

Hopefully some of those miles was not while lane splitting.

Archived