IGNORED

Spectacular Surf Video

JohnnyJ

Taken at the North Shore of Oahu, Pipeline

Music: Lindsey Stirling - Crystallize

Filmed with GoPro mounted to quadrocopters.

Johnny J

Very nice! :clap:

I have never learned to surf, but always thought it would be cool. Here on the East Coast though, we get nothing like that!

Very nice! :clap:

I have never learned to surf, but always thought it would be cool. Here on the East Coast though, we get nothing like that!

My daughter grew up surfing in California, but now lives in NYC. On occasion the surf is good at some spot within a subway ride distance away. She says she gets some funny looks while carrying her surfboard aboard the subway.

Johnny J

Joe Frickin' Friday

Gorgeous, very well done.

Anyone with even a passing interest in surfing might also enjoy a couple of full-length documentaries from about ten years ago:

Step Into Liquid

Riding Giants

I watched these shortly after they came out and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Wow! That's a great use of a drone! What an awesome perspective.

Never having surfed, I wonder how the riders manage to avoid all the other surfers and floating photographers. How often do they have to bail out on a wave because of them?

To Mitch's list, I feel compelled to add the original surf-doc:

Gorgeous, very well done.

Anyone with even a passing interest in surfing might also enjoy a couple of full-length documentaries from about ten years ago:

Step Into Liquid

Riding Giants

I watched these shortly after they came out and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Both are quite interesting. In "Step Into Liquid" (I'm pretty sure that was the one) they were surfing the wake of supertankers in the Gulf of Mexico.

Johnny J

Joe Frickin' Friday
Both are quite interesting. In "Step Into Liquid" (I'm pretty sure that was the one) they were surfing the wake of supertankers in the Gulf of Mexico.

Yes, I remember that now. A perpetual wave, lasting as long as the tanker is in motion. Not huge, but once you catch it, you can ride it for as long as you can stand up!

Yes, I remember that now. A perpetual wave, lasting as long as the tanker is in motion. Not huge, but once you catch it, you can ride it for as long as you can stand up!

I recall just a couple of fun items from "The Endless Summer" (which I last saw many, many summers ago):

1) There was a beach they christened "Ins & Outs", where the shape of the beach perfectly reflected incoming waves. The result was that you could surf both in, out, or, when you met a wave coming the opposite direction, up.

2) There was another beach/reef with a break that went on for ages. The line was something like "You can get two rides a day: one after breakfast, and one after lunch. Try for three and you'll starve to death."

3) "Boy, you guys really missed it! You should have been here yesterday!"

Just got an text that the Mavericks Invitational is on "Yellow Alert" for this Friday, Jan. 23. if the forcast remains good for Friday, The Mavericks Invitational will receive the Green Light for the event to go. If the surf today at Mavericks is any indication of running the event, chances are really good. Universal Sports has partnered with Mavericks to broadcast the finals live on television.

If you like BIG WAVE action this is the one to watch. FYI: Mavericks is located north of Santa Cruz, Ca. & is close to Half Moon Bay if your inclined to make it a ride destenation.

Archived