IGNORED

Master Cylinder 'Topper' - Thread diameter, pitch & length.

libellej8

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me the screw thread diameter, pitch and length for the stock cover for the master cylinder reservoir? The dimensions are almost certainly metric.

I would like to make my own as I have a small lathe.

Also, are the clutch spline problems common to all of the 1150 models or just RT's? Are some models immune? I seem to see a lot of RT's with problems in the archives and have wondered why this is.

T.I.A.

Gerry.

Also, are the clutch spline problems common to all of the 1150 models or just RT's? Are some models immune? I seem to see a lot of RT's with problems in the archives and have wondered why this is.

T.I.A.

Gerry.

On my '02 R1150R the clutch splines failed at 30K miles. Now the bike has a new gearbox. You see more spline problems from RTs because a lot more RTs were sold than the other oilheads. The RT is by far the most popular bike on this DB.

You already have the link to the MiniStan but if what you're after is the sizes of the 4 screws that hold the cover on, they are:

4mm dia, 0.7 pitch and 14mm long countersunk stainless steel, phillips head.

Not sure if you mean the cover to the whole assembly or the plug for the fill hole in the reservoir. If the latter, "rozemab" did the original research on the threads for the "TOP" and found that they were an odd "butress" thread that was very hard to find. I can't find his original thread from MANY years ago, but maybe he'll see this and chime in.

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

I should have made myself clearer. I'm new to this forum so please excuse me.

The dimensions I would like, are for the filler cap part into which I can bond the funnel, so as to make my own version of a filling funnel. I could go to the dealers and buy one - but as I have a lathe (with which I can screwcut any thread) I want to make my own! I could go out to the bike and remove the filler cap and measure it myself but it's too cold!

Cheers,

Gerry

Wareham, UK

No worries, Gerry. Everyone was new here once . . . except maybe Fernando! tongue.gif

You might try Steve's (aka "RightSpin") site at http://www.diymoto.com/

He makes the "MiniStan's" for sale and also provides schematics for DIY'ers. I don't know if he has the particular metric buttress thread pitch etc, but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, you might try PM'ing "rozemab" (check the "User List" link) as he's the one that did all the extensive research on this part initially. If you find out, please post it here so we can save this thread for future reference.

Archived