IGNORED

GoPro Training

TEWKS

I got a Gopro from Santa and just set it up today. Got some learning to do by the quality of the video no doubt, but, if you're bored.

Pat

That's cool. I'm hoping to get one as an early Father's Day present for a planned ride into the Alps this May. I will be watching this thread intently to learn best practices, ...

Mike

Thanks Mike! Yes, the Alps would be a worthy location to try one out! :thumbsup:

A very good tutorial here on how to get you started.

And, I guess I should have put this in Bike Related Things. :dopeslap:

Pat

1080 s or super wide is where I had the camera set. Thinking, that was part of the distorted look in the clip? Handlebar mount probably didn't help either.

Any suggestions on settings?

Pat

720 at 60 fps lets you do slow motion in post processing. For most PC viewers, 720 will look great and is quite sufficient as HD quality.

Hey Tewks,

Nice gift someone got you. I've done a lot of testing and found that having the camera mounted to your helmet somewhere is going to give you the best effect for smoothness. My favorite mount is on the Chin of my helmet with the gopro hanging down from the mount. It feels like it is way too low, however, it gives a great perspective of the ride. The viewer gets a better feel of the ride. Here is a link to a sample video I made using setting 720 @ 60fps.

iframe>View Sample Video

Tewks,

In this video, you can see the chin mount and how the camera hangs down.

The homemade spinning apparatus was made to get some crazy perspectives.

Cant ride the bike more than 50 mph with that on your head and it is not very comfortable trying to keep it balanced. Was a fun project though. Some pvc pipe and a rollerblade bearing and some hardware.

Tewks, as I have a new one to learn also, I'm wondering why when I play your video it plays back in 4:3 and not wide view? All the other videos posted playback in wide or 16:9.

Thanks Bigfish, some cool effects you have there! :thumbsup: Where do you edit your videos with text & music? My goal is to make a slide show with pics, music and video all rolled together. Sounds like 720/60fps is where it's at. :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

Pat

Tewks, as I have a new one to learn also, I'm wondering why when I play your video it plays back in 4:3 and not wide view? All the other videos posted playback in wide or 16:9.

I think it may have asked me how I would like it viewed and I didn't understand what they were asking. Probably picked A when B was the obvious answer! :dopeslap: Gonna be some work getting to where I would like to go with this.

Pat

Where do you edit your videos with text & music?

I use a MAC which came with iMovie (Application for Video Editing)

I'v since graduated to Final Cut Pro X and Motion 5.

There are many options out there. Have fun with it.

How about the http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio or Gopro studio 2.0? It seems to function a little bit like windows movie maker which I'm use to.

I have not spent much time with the gopro app so really can not comment.

Just remember, once things are digital, you can do pretty much anything.

You can make multiple short movies and then bring those movies into another final movie. i.e. Make an opening movie and save it, make a separate slideshow and save it, then import those pieces into your final project along with your gopro videos.

One HUGE piece of advice... trim down your original video to only the parts you want to use. The time doing this up front will save lots of hard drive space and make your post editing more enjoyable.

BTW, you are not bothering me. I just hope my advice makes sense to you.

One more question and I'll stop bothering you. :grin: How about the http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio or Gopro studio 2.0? It seems to function a little bit like windows movie maker which I'm use to.

Thanks.

Pat

I use Windows Movie Maker, it lets me do longer videos with out a problem, but then I also do very simple videos and don't do a lot of shortening and splicing. HD uploads to YouTube are simple also from Movie Maker. The GoPro Studio locked up on my computer the last time I used and I had to redo everything. I need to give it another try, one day.

I got totally frustrated with the GoPro Studio - crashing, resetting, slow, wouldn't let me do what I wanted, etc. I found this PC based tool much easier and way more reliable - AVS Video Editor. Since getting this I have been able to easily edit, create and publish some of my rides. You can view one at, http://youtu.be/Nsp5Nn1hRnE

Hey Tewks,

Nice gift someone got you. I've done a lot of testing and found that having the camera mounted to your helmet somewhere is going to give you the best effect for smoothness. My favorite mount is on the Chin of my helmet with the gopro hanging down from the mount.

Bigfish, I like the view this mounting position provides.

How did you mount the camera to the helmet and did it interfere with the chin vent?

I gave Gopro Studio a try and wasn't too bad. Much to learn but was able to splice some bits of an hour ride I did today. 720 / 60fps looked great on the computer but YouTube killed the quality. :(

Some minor foul language in this one.

Pat

Bigfish, I like the view this mounting position provides.

How did you mount the camera to the helmet and did it interfere with the chin vent?

A picture is worth a thousand words

Again, it really seams like the camera is way to low, however, the effect is nice.

HelmetMount_zps7db7c73b.jpg[/url][/img]

Parts_zps6812d49c.jpg

step1_zpscc8f0d41.jpg

Step2_zps57f18490.jpg

Step3_zps2ea85073.jpg

Step4_zpsf14e24b1.jpg

Pat

Much improvement with the smoothness. It's pretty amazing how well our necks work as shock absorbers.

What the heck is that white looking stuff on the side of the roads?

Pat, ever ride through Shrewsbury? I've 14 cousins living out there.

Liked tge test video at 720/60. Very clean and sharp. Also liked that you inserted what effects you were doing, e.g., 400x, etc. Also, will try the chin mount too. Think that's a very interesting perspective.

Thanks for sharing.

What the heck is that white looking stuff on the side of the roads?

Pat, ever ride through Shrewsbury? I've 14 cousins living out there.

Wish I could say it's cotton but, it's not. :(:)

I pass through Shrewsbury quite a bit but, it's always just to get to some other place though. Are you from the area?

Nice mount set up, I use a flip-up so it may not work for me. Have to learn to stop nodding when talking on the Sena. :grin:

Pat

I pass through Shrewsbury quite a bit but, it's always just to get to some other place though. Are you from the area?

Nice mount set up, I use a flip-up so it may not work for me. Have to learn to stop nodding when talking on the Sena. :grin:

Pat

Spent my childhood summer vacations there in the early 80s.

Need to visit more often.

The flip up helmet might allow you to shoot backward also. Giving you another perspective.

The flip up helmet might allow you to shoot backward also. Giving you another perspective.

Ah, didn"t think about doing it like that! :thumbsup: Did mount a plate to the back of the helmet thinking, it would make a cool change-up shot. I'll see if I can rig something.

Thanks

Pat

I got a Gopro from Santa and just set it up today. Got some learning to do by the quality of the video no doubt, but, if you're bored.

Pat

Nice Pat, nothing like having a track right in the 'hood : ) I think I'm about ready to ditch the stills and go that route too, turn it on and forget it, course the real work begins when ya get home!

We had a little of the white stuff (off-white) at the umm, Polar Bear Rally (we missed ya too). Lot of guys had Go Pro's so there should be a rash of footage coming, but you'll get a kick out of this, it's pretty good. :grin:

We had a little of the white stuff (off-white) at the umm, Polar Bear Rally (we missed ya too). Lot of guys had Go Pro's so there should be a rash of footage coming, but you'll get a kick out of this, it's pretty good. :grin:

Nice one, was getting to the top of the sand dune worth a point? :) Yes, sorry I missed it too but looking forward to seeing any and all vids/pics! :thumbsup:

You probably know the GoPro can snap pics also so yeah, I'm hoping I have a do it all camera here.

Pat

Nice one, was getting to the top of the sand dune worth a point? :) Yes, sorry I missed it too but looking forward to seeing any and all vids/pics! :thumbsup:

It was the Friday catch-all/warm-up ride, I warned them and gave'em an option ride-around but only one took it. The 3 big bikes (good riders, and good sports) all would've made it but got hung up and lost momentum.

Remember Kubano's video from the Trans-Fla., here's his teaser (I think he's a Pro). May want to turn the sound down a little : )

...looking forward to seeing any and all vids/pics! :thumbsup:

You'll probably regret that, just tell me when to stop ok : )

Here's a longer one, and admittedly 2-4 minutes seems to be an optimimum viewing time depending on the subject. Of course when it's you or your buddies it obviously holds your attention longer. As a test, lemme know if this is at all, or maybe really boring. I like it because it portrays the feel of the rides. Really like the 2 instrumentals he used, if anyone recognizes the artists please let me know (and don't say Steppenwolf) :grin:

And one more from Kyle B. On Saturday he was the only big bike on the small bike "B" ride.

You'll probably regret that, just tell me when to stop ok : )

Here's a longer one, and admittedly 2-4 minutes seems to be an optimimum viewing time depending on the subject. Of course when it's you or your buddies it obviously holds your attention longer.

I get that. I remember years ago showing off a rather long video of my european ride vacation to some coworkers. Older gent patiently watched and at the end said that was interesting FOR YOU because you were there and can relate. Boring as heck for him.

This is good stuff Bill, I can relate! :grin: You should box it up and post in Ride Tales. :thumbsup:

Pat

This is good stuff Bill, I can relate! :grin: You should box it up and post in Ride Tales. :thumbsup:

Pat

Well, I know You can relate, will give it some thought. But you, Keith, and a few others already know how punctual I am about Ride Tales. :grin:

Slowly but slowly :) I think I'm making forward progress. The camera was tipped forward a bit and ending the music at the appropriate place still needs some work.

Pat

I got hot on the gopro before going to Alaska, but turned out to be too much work. I got (still have) tons of 32 min vids of going down the road. Jean even got sick of it, LOL. I have one of the first, so no wifi or bluetooth, never knew if it was on for sure or not.

I still use it some, but takes a lot of time to edit, and then post on vimeo or youtube. Just never seems to look like the real thing.

Bill, if I lived down there, I would have a small dirt bike, (well 450ish MX type) to ride with your bunch. I did enjoy MX in the old days, but I was young and working, so had to be careful to make it to work mondays.

Yeah, takes time, you can sure do it. I use the mac and imovie, but stopped short of putting music. I have finally learned how to remove crud from the middle of the vid, ends are easier to trim.

I have found, most people get tired of watching anything over about 2 or 3 minutes. I even don't finish some of the short dakar videos, just want to see the meat. LOL If there is some suspense, then an ending is good.

Bunch of edits from 2014 Dakar.

I have found, most people get tired of watching anything over about 2 or 3 minutes.

This is true. I only put that 13 minute PB vid in Ride Tales because the guy that made it is good at editing and the the music was enjoyable.

Hey, you need to bring that 1190 down here in about six weeks and do this, we had a blast last year. Pat, that goes for you and Jim too, again. Much of the big bike route is different this year, some good stuff.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944411

I sent the link to our local club, we do have a few offroaders and some that go to Daytona each year. Pretty long trip for the small bikes, but you never know.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived