IGNORED

AMA Road Racing - Is This the Beginning of the End?

Chris K

The AMA just released their road racing schedule for 2014 this week. Only 5 rounds with a total of 10 Superbike races.

Here are the totals for the last 4 years.

2011: 9 AMA road race weekends,14 Superbike races.

2012: 12 AMA road race weekends,20 Superbike races.

2013: 9 AMA road race weekends,14 Superbike races.

2014: 5 AMA road race weekends,10 Superbike races.

It seems like DMG has lost interest in promoting motorcycle road racing in the US.

russell_bynum
DMG affiliation was the beginning of the end.

Yup.

This isn't the begining of the end, it's the end of the end. At least for now.

The combination of the perpetually awful economy (especially for young people who typically buy sportbikes) and what I can only describe as intentional efforts by DMG to sabotage motorcycle roadracing in the US has pretty much killed the series.

DMG's NASCAR model is to use spec cars and soap opera stuff to sell advertising. The AMA's model is to allow manufacturers to submit models through factory and satellite teams as a way to advertise to potential buyers (race on Sunday, sell on Monday). Obviously, the NASCAR model makes a lot more money for DMG and the French Family than the AMA model. My suspicion is that DMG would like to destroy the current motorcycle racing paradigm and remake it in the NASCAR model. Limited racing and no television contract would be a step in that direction.

This will be a disaster for American road-racers who want to go to WSBK or MotoGP, as a spec machine will have no relation to the manufacturer machines used in those series. Could a really talented US racer overcome this? Sure. Would the manufactures be willing to take that chance? I'd think most definitely not. Given the current economic slump and the lack of easy credit to sell big-bore sport bikes to young people, the manufacturers are going to be very skittish about taking any unnecessary chances.

That's my thoughts on the issue. I hope I'm wrong and DMG figures out a way to make this work.

DMG's NASCAR model is to use spec cars and soap opera stuff to sell advertising. The AMA's model is to allow manufacturers to submit models through factory and satellite teams as a way to advertise to potential buyers (race on Sunday, sell on Monday). Obviously, the NASCAR model makes a lot more money for DMG and the French Family than the AMA model. My suspicion is that DMG would like to destroy the current motorcycle racing paradigm and remake it in the NASCAR model. Limited racing and no television contract would be a step in that direction.

This will be a disaster for American road-racers who want to go to WSBK or MotoGP, as a spec machine will have no relation to the manufacturer machines used in those series. Could a really talented US racer overcome this? Sure. Would the manufactures be willing to take that chance? I'd think most definitely not. Given the current economic slump and the lack of easy credit to sell big-bore sport bikes to young people, the manufacturers are going to be very skittish about taking any unnecessary chances.

That's my thoughts on the issue. I hope I'm wrong and DMG figures out a way to make this work.

That's very well said. :thumbsup:

Sadly the rest of the bike racing world is quickly moving towards spec bikes as well. Spec vehicles mean "closer racing", which is not the same as "good racing", but means bigger TV contracts and more advertising money. I've tried watching a couple Moto2 races and fell asleep (literally) both times: if that's the future of racing, they won't have my money. ;)

Spec racing means "closer racing" but also means cheaper racing.

My problem with Moto2 is the complete lack of brand-name machinery. I can't identify with any of the bikes. At least in MotoGP there are the classic rivalries between Honda and Yamaha, and maybe soon Suzuki will be back in the mix. Brand loyalty counts for a lot. NASCAR has figured that out and while the cars may all be the same, at least a brand name and grille is stuck on the outside.

BTW, some good TV coverage of motorcycle road racing would help a lot. Fox Sports (formerly SpeedTV, etc) has managed to bodge motorsports coverage in general, unless you consider hours of Barrett-Jackson auctions exciting.

pete

russell_bynum
Spec racing means "closer racing" but also means cheaper racing.

I'm not entirely convinced that's true. Certainly, you can control the costs more with spec racing, but you also exclude the privateer/low-budget racers since they likely can't afford the mandatory allotment of bikes, tires, etc. I haven't fully decided if that's a bad thing or not (maybe we just exclude those racers from the big series and let them come up through the ranks in club racing before making the jump?) but I don't think it's universally true that spec racing = cheaper racing.

And I'm not entirely convinced that Spec racing is a bad thing. I grew up racing one-design sailboats and always found the racing to be much more interesting when the boats were more tightly regulated. It makes it a competition of sailors rather than a competition of who can buy the best sails, etc. Part of me would welcome that sort of racing (but on a roadcourse, not the hideously boring ovals that NASCAR uses.) But...if you do that, you lose the brand rivalry and you lose the development aspect of it.

My problem with Moto2 is the complete lack of brand-name machinery. I can't identify with any of the bikes. At least in MotoGP there are the classic rivalries between Honda and Yamaha, and maybe soon Suzuki will be back in the mix. Brand loyalty counts for a lot. NASCAR has figured that out and while the cars may all be the same, at least a brand name and grille is stuck on the outside.

Personally...I laugh at that whole thing. A "Toyota Camry" race car...except it doesn't look like a Camry, isn't shaped like a Camry, doesn't have the same powerplant or drivetrain configuration as the Camry, etc. They might as well start calling my dog, the jambalaya I had for lunch, and the computer keyboard I'm using right now a "Toyota Camry" since they have about as much in common with an actual Camry as a NASCAR race car does. I see that and I can't take it seriously.

With production-based racing...yes...the bikes are modified, but at least they started out as the bike they're pretending to still be. And obviously...the class rules make that more/less true...a Supersport is more like the street bike that it is based on than a Superbike, etc.

So...for me, that whole thing's a bunch of BS and it would not add to the enjoyment of the racing for me if Moto2 teams all pretended to be running different bikes. But, I'm routinely amazed at the difference between what I care about and what other folks care about...maybe the DMG guys have that figured out.

BTW, some good TV coverage of motorcycle road racing would help a lot. Fox Sports (formerly SpeedTV, etc) has managed to bodge motorsports coverage in general, unless you consider hours of Barrett-Jackson auctions exciting.

Absolutely. Fox taking over Speedvision has been every bit as horrible as I predicted it would be.

Absolutely. Fox taking over Speedvision has been every bit as horrible as I predicted it would be.

+1 The main reason I now have a tablet to stream video to my semi-smart Sony.

As for Moto 2, I suppose it's a good nursery for up and coming riding talent like Marc Marquez for example. That said, I don't watch the series for the same reasons already stated.

I really like the WSB series & Moto GP, but apprehensive they will soon mess it them up as well. :dopeslap:

A dissenting opinion

I watch riders, not machines. The possibilities of multiple lines and pass/defend situations is what makes racing interesting. Maybe that's because I've got a bunch of track hours and don't find plain speed all that fascinating. Watching people go at it is more fun.

With that in mind, I've seen more interesting use of options and skill on the simpler Moto2 bikes than in GP where there too few bikes, only 1 possible line due to extensive use of electronics and the winner is usually ahead by so much that second place isn't even on camera at the same time. I don't think Moto2 does much for bike makers though with its spec engines and limited chassis numbers, none of which are any actual bike sold by bike makers.

Rarely see US bike racing- AMA wrecked it years ago trying to keep antique design American crap competitive, one of several reasons I will never be an AMA member, and DMG is driving the last nails.

I've not been paying attention to the AMA for a number of years now. WSB and MotoGP are much more entertaining. This is sad, because I really miss going to Mid-Ohio and it seeming like the big boys were there. Of course, those memories will have to do.

Spec racing ( approved crate engines ) has NOT caused cheaper dirt track car racing so I expect the same with bikes. It just means it costs more to cheat. Head bolts for Chevy spec series engines are one-time use ( they break when removed ) and are closely regulated by the sanctioning body. Manufacturer and approved rebuilders only have access. So no one can open the engine and modify it.

Race winners will often have 30 more horsepower than the spec engines in the rear. For a substantial price these special head bolts and the

"seals" the inspectors use are available on the black market....

Spec racing ( approved crate engines ) has NOT caused cheaper dirt track car racing so I expect the same with bikes. It just means it costs more to cheat. Head bolts for Chevy spec series engines are one-time use ( they break when removed ) and are closely regulated by the sanctioning body. Manufacturer and approved rebuilders only have access. So no one can open the engine and modify it.

Race winners will often have 30 more horsepower than the spec engines in the rear. For a substantial price these special head bolts and the

"seals" the inspectors use are available on the black market....

Ron Dennis of McLaren fame once said "Tighter regulations always plays into the hands of the better funded teams".

Given he ran one of these "better funded teams" for a number of years, it's hard to argue with that logic.

The same applies to motorcycle racing. I know the local Ten Kate dealer and he said that, no matter what you do, no privateer will ever build a CBR600RR engine in Super Sport trim that's as powerful as the Ten Kate and Moriwaki "works" bikes: both have a close "working relationship" with Honda and have access to funding/technical expertise nobody else has.

Given he takes enormous pride in his technical knowledge of Honda engines (which is quite impressive), you know the variables of engine tuning that can be exploited by whoever has the best money and/or connections are almost endless.

The AMA just released their road racing schedule for 2014 this week. Only 5 rounds with a total of 10 Superbike races.

Here are the totals for the last 4 years.

2011: 9 AMA road race weekends,14 Superbike races.

2012: 12 AMA road race weekends,20 Superbike races.

2013: 9 AMA road race weekends,14 Superbike races.

2014: 5 AMA road race weekends,10 Superbike races.

It seems like DMG has lost interest in promoting motorcycle road racing in the US.

The 2014 AMA Pro Road Racing schedule is as follows:

1. March 13 - 15 - Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, Fla.

2. May 30 - June 1 - Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wis.

3. June 21 - 22 - Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, Ala.*

4. July 19 - 20 - Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio*

5. September 13 - 14 - New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, N.J.*

If my geography is correct, there is no AMA Pro Road Racing anywhere west of Wisconsin :cry:

Johnny J

Archived