IGNORED

R1200RT Side Case Question

St0nkingByte

Over the past weekend I took the side cases off my bike and rode sporty style for a few days. Aside from just playing with them its the first time the cases have been really off the bike. Yesterday when I put them back on I noticed a little play in the cases. Before I just sort of assumed they locked on there pretty tight but hadn't checked it. Now I can grab them and wiggle up and down about a half inch or so.

They haven't fallen off yet but I'm wondering is a little play in the cases attached to the bike normal or have I managed to put them on improperly?

I felt the same way about mine. However, I've decided there is a little play in the mounts. The right side is just a bit tighter than the left on mine. They move a bit, but I can't remove them without unlatching them. I'll watch this thread for other comments. If yours is broke, so is nine grin.gif

When my bike was new, both cases were tight.

When I pushed down the latches, there was some resistance to get the handle down all the way.

After a few thousand miles and bumps one of the cases has loosened up some. The other one still is somewhat snug.

I showed the dealer this and asked him if it would be a problem.

He really wasnt sure because its a new model and I guess its a new style mounting system.

I will just see what happens.

Maybe the vibration has worn in the upper mount holes of the case and the holding brackets, and the case is dropping a bit lower on them.

Then you lose the tension on the lower locking arm.

Rich

I took delivery in October 2005, and only 800 miles on it.

Cases seem attached pretty tight, and I really can't say there's any play.

I was told that these cases are designed to come off quite easily when hit something to avoid collateral damages to the bike and rider/passenger. confused.gif

Mine's the same. Started tight, loosened a little. Dealer reckons its OK but has advised to keep an eye on them. There has been no change over the last few thousand miles so I think all is well but I will continue to check periodically.

Paul

Over the past weekend I took the side cases off my bike and rode sporty style for a few days. Aside from just playing with them its the first time the cases have been really off the bike. Yesterday when I put them back on I noticed a little play in the cases. Before I just sort of assumed they locked on there pretty tight but hadn't checked it. Now I can grab them and wiggle up and down about a half inch or so.

They haven't fallen off yet but I'm wondering is a little play in the cases attached to the bike normal or have I managed to put them on improperly?

Mine is the same as you describe,but the movment has not increased. Damm easy to take off and i have large top box and just as easy to remove. Hudo thumbsup.gif.

At ~3500mls (wow, ~2000 miles since I brought it home (01/04/2006)), mine are still very snug.

Mike

P.S. Couldn't believe it as I was proofreading, so I went to check my odo... 3468. Had 1540 when I purchased it. 1928mls in 22 days of work/life/family...Sweet! clap.gif

Same experience here. The cases were tight when new, and then loosened enough to wiggle at 600 miles or so. Now I'm at 6,300 and they're about the same. That's good, because there isn't any adjustment.

Excellent, thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking I was going to have to go out and crawl around under the cases seeing if they weren't latching in properly or something, good to hear a little wiggle is typical.

Archived