IGNORED

Think I found my oil leak Finally!!!

drtnsnw

I have been chasing an oil smell on my RT from day one. Always thought it was the rear shock but after trailering the bike for 300 miles I found it!!

The front shock is so badly blown it is leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold and making an oil smoke smell!!

So, my question is, what is the easiest way to pull the front shock? under the fuel tank? That top bolt looks like a real bear to get to!!

Chris

You will need to remove the fuel tank (or at least move it back some). Then it is not that bad actually. Just replaced my shocks this past summer and I have minimal skills of any kind.

You remove the fuel tank and the top mounting nut is right there. Just be sure to support the front of the bike when you remove it or the front suspension will drop when it releases. It won't do any damage, but could cause things to be unsettled for a second.

The lower mount is just a bolt/nut on the A-arm.

Afternoon Chris

Are you sure it isn't a fork seal leaking? When those things leak they can blow oil back all over the exhaust system as well as on the front shock.

I have seen w-a-y more fork seal leaks than front shock leaks.

Afternoon Chris

Are you sure it isn't a fork seal leaking? When those things leak they can blow oil back all over the exhaust system as well as on the front shock.

I have seen w-a-y more fork seal leaks than front shock leaks.

pretty sure the shock is bad. It was COVERED!!in oil, running down like crazy and on the forks like you would expect. I have had fork seals blow on other bikes and it always runs down the forks at least some

I will try and snap a picture

Chris

Archived