IGNORED

BMW Navigator V maps and data cards

Haynes

I have a new Navigator V and it comes with the maps installed on the 1Gb MicroSD card. I want to use a 32Gb card but when I copy the maps and related files to the larger card it states that the maps are locked.

I thought that I was GPS savvy having owned and extensively used many other units.

Is there a method of copying that is not obvious to me?

Don't know. Here in the states the maps are loaded internally. It doesn't come with an sd card. I use a 32Gb card for music and books.

Don't know. Here in the states the maps are loaded internally. It doesn't come with an sd card. I use a 32Gb card for music and books.

Ditto. When I bought one (Nav V), just a few days ago, the maps were pre-loaded (to the device's internal storage), but when I hooked it up to my Mac and ran Garmin Express, it indicated that there was an update available. I then chose to load the map update to both the device and my Mac. Here, if you want the extra storage of a micro SD card, you have to go out and buy it yourself; the unit does not come with an SD card.

Wonder why maps are pre-loaded on a card there?

Have you copied the unlock code to the larger card along with the map file?

The SD (Secure Data) cards have (in layman terms) a unique serial number. The maps are copied in the factory to the sd card. The map serial number is generated using the sd card serial number. The GPS checks the map serial number and the sd card serial and is able to determine if the sd card is the original one or not.

I have found unlocked maps on the P2P sites (i.e. bittorent) that will work mostly on any device. Word of caution: they may contain viruses or malware. They work.

Not aware if there is any map unlocker out there that can modify the map and open it up.

My $0.02

Thank you for your replies.

It's logical what has been suggested: that the data card is encrypted so it is dedicated to the unlocked maps that it stores.

I'm hoping that I can solve this issue and then share with others; even just for interest.

Archived