IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Now that we know what you had for breakfast in 2010...

What's for dinner tonight?

Spaghetti for us. We've got a great sauce recipe, sort of Bolognese, sort of arrabbiata. Lots of diced onions, some diced green pepper, diced poblanos, a blend of diced fresh tomatos and a can of tomato paste, some Italian sausage and some ground beef. Oh, and a fistful of spices, including crushed red pepper flakes. Light on the meat - works out to just two ounces per serving - so it's fairly healthy.

Homemade chicken fajitas, a bowl of homemade vegetable soup, and a Rye Krisp to push around the last pieces.

Good thing you didn't ask about last night. Babyback ribs, funeral potatoes, and garlic bread. Jeans were snug this morning.

Stew served over rice, home made apple pie, little Irish Creme for nightcap.

Still snowed in, so will make do with pork tenderloin tonight.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Good thing you didn't ask about last night. Babyback ribs, funeral potatoes, and garlic bread. Jeans were snug this morning.

What's a funeral potato?

Meatless Monday! Last night it was black beans over a baked potato with cheese and salsa, salad, and bread with olive oil for dipping.

Pizza, Stromboli, Calzone, various combos of Pepperoni/Meatball/Artichoke/Spinach/Onion, and large Greek Salad, from Mike's.

Game day tradition as we ordered from there 26 of past 28 games.

26 and zero with Mike's.

Oh for 2 when we didn't...

:dopeslap:

Joe Frickin' Friday

What's a funeral potato?

Never mind, I found the answer.

At dinnertime I typically have a cup of tea and toast/fruit, or a glass of wine and a small bowl of mixed raw nuts/fruit. Lunch time is my "dinner time".

DaveTheAffable
At dinnertime I typically have a cup of tea and toast/fruit, or a glass of wine and a small bowl of mixed raw nuts/fruit. Lunch time is my "dinner time".

Mini-Hijack... I have read SO many articles recently on the health benefits of nuts. :) Happy New Year!

Mini-Hijack... I have read SO many articles recently on the health benefits of nuts. :) Happy New Year!

That's what my friends say. :grin: Happy New Year to you too!

[releasing hi jack]

Mitch, coincidently we too had spaghetti prepared much like yours but without the sausage and poblano's. What we did have new to the receipe was ji yuon (sawtooth herb) left over from an earlier Cambodian meal of delicious congee prepared by a visiting Cambodian student. While I enjoyed the sawtooth in the congee it was a bit overpowering (it's much stronger than cilantro) in the spaghetti mix. Next time we'll go for the poblano's and save the sawtooth for congee.

Thought you really meant that night.

:D

We range from soy product w/brown rice and veggies to brisket on french bread topped with fried eggs, bacon, cheese, and a sauce made from hot/spicy/sweet mustards and remoulade.

Angel hair pasta w/sauteed artichoke hearts, onion, (bacon if want meat) is ez and fun.

Quinoa has become part of the staple this past year too.

Got the bug to cook yesterday and spent this morning making stew....Used flat iron steak and after checking over many receipes....Created.........We'll see this evening but have the half bottle of very good cabernet left over from the stew so that'll help.......Left kitchen clean too.......

CoarsegoldKid

Crab and clam chowder from San Francisco with sourdough bread and either Red Tail Ale or perhaps a blush wine(friends don't let friends drink Chardonnay) and for desert lemon bars with dab of Ficklin Madera port.

Tomorrow it's roast leg of lamb, yams, green string beans, green salad with raspberry vinaigrette and a bottle of Bogle Zinfandel.

I forgot what Thursday was going to be. I'm on a diet. :rofl:

What's a funeral potato?

Never mind, I found the answer.

My mother would prepare food for all the funerals at her church. Her specialty was the potatoes. The ones she made were sliced lengthwise laid in a single layer in an 9x13 and covered with a butter Parmesan cheese and spice mixture. They are very good and actually named Golden Parmesan Potatoes. She would make them for the family and we always referred to them as Funeral Potatoes despite Mother's objection and effort to get us to use a different name. They are now a three generation family tradition and we still take the every opportunity to tease mother about the name.

What wine goes with waffles? In our house sometimes, as tonight, breakfast is dinner.

Why that would be Golden Maple wine from Maple Moon Winery . Just goes to show Canadians will make just about anything out of maple syrup. :Cool:

Maybe you're thinking of the GOMBBS diet. Greens, onions mushrooms, beans berries and seeds (I think he includes nuts here). A guy on PBS has been touting this diet as the fountain of youth. I've started buying hemp seeds myself, though they aren't allowed to be grown domestically yet. When will this friggin' country grow up?

As I get older I have less interest and tolerance for eating huge amounts of fatty animals- keep that for events, these days, like the prime prime rib I did at Christmas.

Tonight's dinner was eggplant parm with some of those tender french beans sauteed in truffled olive oil with honey and spices. Plus a nice pinot noir for some more anti oxidants.

Hey, it makes a plausible justification....

As I get older I have less interest and tolerance for eating huge amounts of fatty animals- keep that for events, these days, like the prime prime rib I did at Christmas.

Tonight's dinner was eggplant parm with some of those tender french beans sauteed in truffled olive oil with honey and spices. Plus a nice pinot noir for some more anti oxidants.

Hey, it makes a plausible justification....

Perhaps you read about the study on red meat consumption and it's contribution to early death that came out a couple of years ago. Here is a little excerpt:

Eating a serving of nuts instead of beef or pork was associated with a 19% lower risk of dying during the study. The team said choosing poultry or whole grains as a substitute was linked with a 14% reduction in mortality risk; low-fat dairy or legumes, 10%; and fish, 7%.

The study was originally published online in The Archives of Internal Medicine, and the excerpt above was from the LA Times

The bottom line as I saw it was: Eat more nuts, poultry, whole grains, low-fat dairy, legumes, and fish, and cut out red meat, especially processed red meat like bacon, ham, bologna, and sausage.

Tonight was king salmon in butter and dill. Last week the spousal unit and I made a Turduckhen. Incredible amount of work. Turned out great. Not sure I'll do another.

Mine will be happy . . . she married one. :dopeslap:

Archived