IGNORED

Cold Weather Riding

Rougarou

The low tomorrow is estimated at between 5*-9* here in central NC depending on the weather guesser you choose. I've ridden as low as 17*. Is there anything I should be aware of going down into the single digits,....besides any lingering ice that may appear? (not likely, roads should dry out today).

My commute is about 45 minutes one way, so I won't be exposed too long. I've got decent snivvle gear and haven't had a "cold" complaint yet but I also don't want to look like the Michelin man riding in.

You will get some pretty strange looks from car drivers and I'd keep an eye out for the men in white coats who may be following you :)

But seriously: 5 - 9 degrees in NC? Wow!

pete

(in MA where it is 50 today but was -5 a few days ago)

The roadway can be slick, even without visible ice. 45 minutes is long enough to get frost bite. At 45mph the National Weather Service says it will be - 23 degrees on your ride.

I've ridden 30+ minutes at 28 degrees, without electrics, and I'd never do that again. Looking like the Michelin Man is the least of your problems. Electric gloves, pant liners and jacket liner, maybe. Personally, I wouldn't ride that far, in your temps, without them. Then again, I just wouldn't ride in those temps.

Fingers, toes, ear lobes, or the tip of the nose are the areas most susceptible to frostbite. Your body works hard to keep internal organs and your head warm, and sometimes extremities get left behind.

That cold, I would be wary of my tires. I have ridden down to 0 before and felt that my tires never warmed up to the point that I trusted them enough to push them in the curves on my 40 minute commute. No hard data, just seat of the pants. Also, if you park outside at work, try to shelter your bike, the cold and your battery will not get along well.

The roadway can be slick, even without visible ice. 45 minutes is long enough to get frost bite. At 45mph the National Weather Service says it will be - 23 degrees on your ride.

I've ridden 30+ minutes at 28 degrees, without electrics, and I'd never do that again. Looking like the Michelin Man is the least of your problems. Electric gloves, pant liners and jacket liner, maybe. Personally, I wouldn't ride that far, in your temps, without them. Then again, I just wouldn't ride in those temps.

Fingers, toes, ear lobes, or the tip of the nose are the areas most susceptible to frostbite. Your body works hard to keep internal organs and your head warm, and sometimes extremities get left behind.

Like I said, I've ridden down to 17* before. I've also done some 2+hour

The gear I have worn is nothing more than a base layer, fleece jacket covered by a Tourmaster Transition jacket. For the bottoms, base layer, pants and then ski pants. I have decent enough gloves for the cold.

At 17* (coldest it got that year), I didn't even feel cold, slight chill yes, but cold, nope. But I do know that 10* can make a difference. (Cold weather training Ft McCoy, WI,...brrr).

I do have a gerbing jacket liner that hasn't been worn in nearly four years, I'm likely going to dust that off and use it along with the proper layering.

You will get some pretty strange looks from car drivers and I'd keep an eye out for the men in white coats who may be following you :)

But seriously: 5 - 9 degrees in NC? Wow!

pete

(in MA where it is 50 today but was -5 a few days ago)

Ya, I get strange looks when I pass them at 75+ in the rain at 35-40*.

John Bentall
Is there anything I should be aware of going down into the single digits,....besides any lingering ice that may appear? (not likely, roads should dry out today).

Reduced grip before the tires reach their normal operating temperature.

In Germany they are trying to mandate "winter tires" for motorcycles that are designed to operate more effectively at those low temperatures.

Typical Austria again -

"When driving in Austria it is compulsory for a vehicle to be fitted with winter tyres – which have a minimum tread depth of 4mm (1st November – 15th April) and at times outside these dates when there is snow, slush or ice on the roads."

Missouri Bob
the cold and your battery will not get along well.

+1

Thirty-something years ago, I carried a set of jumper cables on my R60/6 so that I could start it when the temperature dropped into single digits. Back then, car drivers were always willing to let me connect to their vehicles' batteries.

Still, it was not much fun.

Bob

When I was using the bike for a daily commuter (60 miles each way), the lowest I left the house was 7 degrees. I wore my Gerbings liner, a light fleece, and my First Gear Kathmandu. Pants were just First Gear HT overpants with their thermal liner over business clothes. I always just wore my normal TCX waterproof riding boots with normal socks. My feet were the only thing that ever got cold, and I'm sure that could have been fixed by decent socks.

The only thing that ever bit me was black ice. I hit a spot turning on to the main road near my house and was on the pavement before I could blink. No damage or injuries, but it certainly got my attention.

Also, make sure you don't have ANY exposed skin around your neck or chin. If you do, you will have frostbite within minutes. Other than that......just let them stare :grin:

Balaclava, neck gaiter, silk turtleneck, Gerbings heated liner and gloves, Transition jacket, fleece warm up pants, HT textile overpants w/liner, wool socks, possibly w/silk liners, silk liners with gloves, and if ride over 30 minutes, Aerostitich triple digit rain gloves over the Gerbings to reduce wind/heat loss.

Ridden all day in teens and 20's with snow and was warm.

My cold weather riding rules are: 1) if it will take longer to get ready for the ride than the ride itself, don't even think about it, and 2) if will take longer to clean the bike (salt, etc.) after the ride than the ride itself, don't even think about it.

Of course, when I was 20 neither rule applied. Now, 50 years later, they sure do. With age comes wisdom.

pete

Guest Kakugo
The low tomorrow is estimated at between 5*-9* here in central NC depending on the weather guesser you choose. I've ridden as low as 17*. Is there anything I should be aware of going down into the single digits,....besides any lingering ice that may appear? (not likely, roads should dry out today).

My commute is about 45 minutes one way, so I won't be exposed too long. I've got decent snivvle gear and haven't had a "cold" complaint yet but I also don't want to look like the Michelin man riding in.

So, how did the ride go? :)

So, how did the ride go? :)

No joy!! Got fully dressed, bike's been on tender since mid-December (family visits out of state), unhook tender, bike barely turns over :( So now, I sit at work with my base layer and wool socks on,....a bit warm in the office for no reason although I did do a two mile walk at lunch 13* with a windchill of 0* :)

Time to order a battery!!

You may still need a battery but, since you live in a warmer climate, you may not know that there is a different technique for starting such a cold bike. If you open the throttle slightly while cranking the starter it has a much better chance of starting when below freezing. It's stated in the manual, but who reads that!

I live in Montana most of the time and while I have ridden at those temps it is always an "adventure". You will need: a very thin stocking cap that covers your whole face; modular helmet; electric vest; down jacket; armored jacket; hi vis yellow raincoat; long underware; insulated jeans; chaps; rainpants; good gloves with long cuffs; electric hand warmers or chemical handwarmers; good boots; and an adjustment of your helmet to keep things from fogging over. A sneeze in your helmet can fog your whole visor fast. You MUST keep very good lookout for slick spots. If a slick spot creeps up on you unnoticed you must ride over it with zero turn, zero acceleration or deceleration, no brakes, etc. The rain gear makes a wind break. The modular helmet can lifted quickly if you fog up or have to sneeze. By the way close all helmet vents.

Guest Kakugo

No joy!! Got fully dressed, bike's been on tender since mid-December (family visits out of state), unhook tender, bike barely turns over :( So now, I sit at work with my base layer and wool socks on,....a bit warm in the office for no reason although I did do a two mile walk at lunch 13* with a windchill of 0* :)

That's not good... although it probably saved you catching a cold. ;)

I'm a year round rider as well. I've found that in the temperatures under 20 even a good battery has troubles. I'm not well versed in batteries but it's my understanding that the "cold crank" amps of a motorcycle battery just aren't suited to below freezing temps. When it's in the 20's or below I typically hook up my battery charger to get it started first thing in the morning. Typically once the sun is up and the day is moving along I don't have an issue...unless it stays in the teens or less.

I've ridden 90 minute runs at -5 F but have nothing to add to the good advice already given. Today's gear makes it possible but its extra effort.

You're pushing sane limits at what you're considering. Risks and discomfort can go up exponentially as you get colder.

Evaluate carefully and stay safe! Adding to your experience range isn't worth it if you get hurt. And I can tell you from personal experience, once you find your lower limit, you're not likely to be jumping to repeat it just for fun..

Got stuck riding the F650 with a broken windscreen at 14* once in the Sierras. It essentially was like riding an ice cube in a freezer. I'm sure the RT would have been more comfortable, but the thought of riding in that kind of weather has no appeal to me.

Others have great tips. My tip is: save it for a warmer day.

My cold weather riding rules are: 1) if it will take longer to get ready for the ride than the ride itself, don't even think about it, and 2) if will take longer to clean the bike (salt, etc.) after the ride than the ride itself, don't even think about it.

Of course, when I was 20 neither rule applied. Now, 50 years later, they sure do. With age comes wisdom.

pete

Yup, wisdom!

• 2 weeks later...

I commute all winter long regardless of the temps. Ice is another story. Winter riding gloves and layers are key. I try to not use my heated gear until I need it (teens and below) and limit my heated grips until it's in the low 30's. Balaclava is nice and make sure to have a fog free shield insert.

Take it easy and enjoy the looks from everyone not expecting a bike rolling by them.

Stay safe!

Even on the battery tender and in an insulated (unheated) garage, the battery turns over a bit slow and often won't allow the ABS to run the initial test. I cover the bike at work on days in the 30's and windy (probably doesn't help other than my placebo mind trick). I'm not worried about cleaning my bike after each ride. It's lucky to get washed every other month in the winter. That's just me though.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Even on the battery tender and in an insulated (unheated) garage, the battery turns over a bit slow and often won't allow the ABS to run the initial test. I cover the bike at work on days in the 30's and windy (probably doesn't help other than my placebo mind trick). I'm not worried about cleaning my bike after each ride. It's lucky to get washed every other month in the winter. That's just me though.

Hi Joe

You may already be aware of this but-------------

I have found that if you can keep the wind away, a 3oow bulb on top of a nonflammable support that keeps the bulb under and close to the oil pan will make your bike smile :) when you thumb the starter button. I'm sure the little bit of warmth the batt. gets can't hurt as well.

I use Amsoil 10w-40 Syn. motorcycle oil in the winter. All is happy happy. :grin: I'm good down to approx. -15*C / 4*F. Lower then that, the bike will still run but me, not so much. (P.S. my garage is unheated and uninsulated)

Happy Trails to you!

Dave

How long do you leave the 300W bulb under the oil pan? I could always put a little portable heater under the belly pan before I shower in the morning or while on the treadmill. Tomorrow is the perfect day for a try. Commute looks like 3 before windchill :grin:

Dave_zoom_zoom

Hi Joe

I plug the bulb in the night before I'm going to ride. I think that when the bike is stone cold and at very cold temp's. it will take a long time for the heat to soak throughout the engine and somewhat the batt. A higher source of heat could possibly be detrimental to the bike particularly if forgotten.

I did try a 200w bulb and found the 300w was a marked improvement. I'm concerned that a higher wattage source of heat would require a fan that would not focus the heat where I want it or if it were forgotten it could be a hazard I'm not willing to accept.

Please be aware that any time we use something for an application which it is not intended for we expose ourselves to a higher level of risk. I'm always very careful to stabilize the bulb in a manner that it won't drop to the concrete floor and possibly break.

The risk level is quite acceptable to me, but should be a consideration. It definitely gives me a big smile when I thumb the starter in the morning.

Happy Trails!

Dave

Last week we had three days of single digit morning temps, very unusual here. And on all three mornings I saw a guy on an HD bagger riding to work. I would say my hat is off to him, but it was too cold to take my hat off.

And today a guy on a Ural hack rode by me on a 9 degree morning. I hope he had a 64 oz coffee cup waiting for him at the office.

Well being from Montana I have rode at pretty cold temperatures before. The coldest being -20F. At that temperature I was hypothermic in about 5 minutes at less than 40mph top speed with my legs being so cold I almost dropped the bike when I stopped at 5 minutes into the ride. I had a horrible time getting the key in my shop door due to shaking and dropping it numerous times and did not feel warm for 2 or 3 hours afterwards. The roads were dry and I had 4 layers on top and 3 on the bottom with gloves and mittens on my hands. Never again, but I am glad I tried it to see what it was like. I have ridden about 200 miles at a time in the winter but the temps have to be above freezing (prefer above 40) and I wear an electric jacket plus all the above layers. If it rains or snows you have interesting choices to make. I once spent a week camped out under 12" of snow in April. The local ranchers (some) thought I was crazy and kept offering me space in their bunkhouse, basement, etc.. But in my tent it was actually quite warm at times and I had a -20F bag and a 2" foam pad. It was a pain to get unfrozen water though. Finally had to sleep with a water bottle. The chief enemy was boredom after I read my only book. It is interesting to try to walk through a 6 foot drift and even the coyotes were quiet at night. Then a Chinook came through and it all melted in a couple hours it seemed like and everything seemed to turn green fast. I have camped at -29F (in town, god knows what it was in the mountains where we were) but that is a dull and painful tale for another time.

I have not read every one's response, but mine 2 cents is Gerbings heating clothing. Love that stuff and still have orinigal everything and going over 15 years on some items. I have the Gerbing suit and best money spend.

I have not read every one's response, but mine 2 cents is Gerbings heating clothing. Love that stuff and still have orinigal everything and going over 15 years on some items. I have the Gerbing suit and best money spend.

The coldest i've ever been on a bike was when i got caught in rain on my '72 Honda CB 350. i was 50 miles from home wearing blue jeans, tennis shoes, a jean jacket, and an open face helmet. By the time i got home i could barely put my feet down to get off the bike.

pete

Yup, wisdom!

I agree with the above and will add don't forget if you are not successful at staying warm, YOUR REFEXES GO TO HELL! IMHO not really worth the risks unless absolutley necessary. One last rule I abide by is the ride should still be fun! :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Will try out the GSA in the morning. Should be around 9-10, but warm up nicely to mid 30s by the ride home. I've been looking at adding some (elephant ears or similar) to help keep wind off of my hands. I've heard that the GSA offers nearly as much wind protection as the RT.....

We will see. :/

......I've heard that the GSA offers nearly as much wind protection as the RT.....

Hmmmmmmmmm....nearly might be a stretch! :grin:

......I've heard that the GSA offers nearly as much wind protection as the RT.....

So the GSA hand and arm protection is less than the RT. I will install Moose guards before the next cold ride. My feet and thighs were cooler as well, but not bad. It was 16 out snoot as cold as the 1 temp I've ridden on the RT. My hands were really to cold to ride below 10 until heated gloves are added.

Hmmmmmmmmm....nearly might be a stretch! :grin:

Below about 5C my PR3 tires barely get up to temp. I wear an electric jacket (Tourmaster) below 10C and it's brilliant. Here in Caanada we put our ikes away in the winter, though. I've been out once at 0C - I shan't do it again!

Archived