IGNORED

Oil cover lid, leaks, a little?

bulletbill

What is the best way to correct the small amount of leakage from the oil fill lid on the left valve cover?

The best way is to fit something like This.

The cheapest way is to fit a new O-ring to the plastic insert to the head and to the plug (two o-rings in total).

A new insert from BMW is cheap too.

The first option is permanent, the second temporary.

Andy

Cheap: Clean the o-ring and the plastic seat thoroughly with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Good: Buy a new o-ring.

Best: Buy a new o-ring and filler pipe assembly from a BMW dealer.

oil-fill-parts.png

Cheap: Clean the o-ring and the plastic seat thoroughly with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

oil-fill-parts.png

+1

just need to clean it now and then, and then replace it when that stops working.

oil-fill-parts.png

+1

just need to clean it now and then, and then replace it when that stops working.

That'll work...unless the parts didnt come in. My o-ring flattened around the outer part and cleaning method failed so I went with plan-B/NAPA store. Yall know how the trip schedule goes,

I've found that sometimes a little bit of grit gets lodged behind the o-ring or even the plastic seat. I've cleaned these areas out and had no leaks, at least for a while.

With the location of the filler cap, hanging out in the wind (necessary, I know), it kind of begs to get polluted with foreign material.

As others have said, the only fool-proof method with be the locking metal plug.

Cheers,

Mark

Archived