IGNORED

Suggestions on obtaining a spare key?

basketcase

I received only one key from the previous owner and so far he has not located the other one.

Can a 2000 model R1100RT spare be cut by any locksmith, or is it one of the new programmed keys that has to be provided by a dealer?

Not sure if it's different for an '04 1150, but I got a blank from the dealer, who recommended a local (to the dealer) locksmith. I didn't have time that day, and when I took it to another locksmith, he said he couldn't cut it because it was a steel key. I still haven't gotten around to getting the spare cut.

I've found that to be true sky sort of quickie key places, but "real" locksmiths I have tried have done it no problem. Key from the dealer will get you a matching key, but a shop with a full selection of blanks will be able to find something that works (my 78 r60 had several spares cut on PO box blanks).

Not sure if it's different for an '04 1150, but I got a blank from the dealer, who recommended a local (to the dealer) locksmith. I didn't have time that day, and when I took it to another locksmith, he said he couldn't cut it because it was a steel key. I still haven't gotten around to getting the spare cut.

That has been my experience as well. No locksmith I have found will cut a steel key because it ruins their expensive cutter. On ebay you can find keys that look identical to the original keys but for the BMW logo. These keys aren't steel ones and any locksmith will cut them for 2-3 bucks. They work just as well as the original keys.

My 96 RT uses the same key blank as my 89 325iS. I think that would probably work for all the bikes of that generation or at least it's a good starting point for what to look for.

Hi Don, with all due respect, cutting a key on one of these duplicator rigs is no rocket science.

If you want a quick 1 stop shop I'd go to my local hightstreet shoe repair place - 'Mr Minute'. The blanks are not special and they work fine (no fancy rubber cover on them as standard though).

I just received a set of these,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110854475310

They are not steel keys so it should be no problem finding someone to cut them. They are a bit thinner than the steel keys but they slip right into the lock cylinders and do have the BMW logo on them. I haven't had any of them cut yet for my RT or LT but for $7.99 for 5 of them including shipping you really can't go wrong. It took just 6 days from the day of the order for these to arrive in AZ from China, now that is impressive.

I bought blanks from my BMW dealer and took them to a locksmith to have them cut. He had blanks for my bike there as well. I bought a couple of the keys without the rubber. I cut one down a little on the bench grinder. Then I used the new putty epoxy and glued it into the black cap off of a two cycle oil bottle and made a knob for my glove box. I've been thinking about making another. It really cleans up the ignition area to just have the black knob.

Archived