IGNORED

R1100 RT HID Kit

Jordan Thienel

Jordan Thienel

I couldn't find anything through a search and i was wondering if anyone here has installed a HID kit in their R1100 RT.

Did you like/dislike it?

Hard install?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Yes.

Liked, like many others.

No.

I used a chinese kit for Bi-zenon H4 conversion. V V M E kits It was plug and play. It had a solenoid that uncovered the high beam reflector for the high beam. Other kits might have a second lamp in halogen flavor for the high beam.

Downside? Slightly higher illumination on the right side. I took some time, in an evening, to work the adjustment to not blind drivers I was passing since it wanted to shine in their driver's side mirror.

The factory headlamp sucks so, just about anything is an improvement. Very soon after getting that bike, I looked into the upgrade after going to Laguna Seca for a race and left, and returned, in the dark. Was not happy on a dark freeway in the Central Valley looking for what wasn't illuminated.

Jordan Thienel

Cool, thanks for the quick response.

For a '00 RT what watt and voltage would I need?

Would the bi-xenon be plug and play for that bike since it needs extra power to move the magnet?

What did you do with the extra bulb & ballast since it looks like they come as a pair?

not familiar with the 1100 but i installed a 6000k on my 1150. kit was a yana-shiki, easy to install. BUT, its too blue, maybe I should try a 5300 or a 5000.

Bottom line............in retrospect i would have buoght some higher quality halogens and possibly install a relay to overcome any voltage/ampacity issues with stock wiring.

I'm waiting for a warm stretch, and hope to install HID conversion kit on a 1999 R1100RT this month. Based on a recommendation from someone here, I ordered the kit from DDM Tuning last summer.

1 Pair of Mounting brackets for 35W DDM Ballasts

HID-Bracket-Slim-35W $2.99

1 DDM Motorcycle HID Kit, 35W, H4 High / Low, 4500K

Bulb Color: 4500K

Bulb Type: H4 Hi/Lo

Wattage: 35W

DDMMoto35W.H4HL.4500K $37.50

Subtotal: $40.49

Shipping: $16.76

Sales Tax: $0.00

Total: $57.25

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Jordan

Pretty much what everyone else says.

Lower "temperature" provides more yellowish light. It is actually white though. Higher temperature gives you the blue and purple lamps that tuners and squids seem to like so that others can see what you have....no offense to anyone intended.

35W is plenty.

I forgot that that was a car kit on vvme.com. I just hung the extra ballast in the cowl in case I ever needed it as a backup. The extra bulb went into the spares tool kit.

I think I found a m/c kit for the R1200 with a single ballast and bulb. Maybe ddmtuning?

Did it to my 1100, it was easy, love it. This Xetronic kit was suggested to me by Fernando, and it is high quality Japanese engineered stuff. The light pattern is fine, no blue hint with the 55W/4300K bulb.

IMG_0973-S.jpg

Jordan Thienel
Did it to my 1100, it was easy, love it. This Xetronic kit was suggested to me by Fernando, and it is high quality Japanese engineered stuff. The light pattern is fine, no blue hint with the 55W/4300K bulb.

IMG_0973-S.jpg

Thanks Jake. Did you need an extension cable between the ballast and the bulb? Is that Xetronic kit Plug & play?

IMG_0973-S.jpg

Good timing Jake. I've been shopping for an HID solution for the RSL and just didn't like the Chinese versions.

I installed the Bike Master HID kit on my 11RT. It's a fairly easy install....if you want pics of the placement of the ballast,igniter.etc...PM me as I don't know how to post pics to the forum using a mac.

Anyway back to the HID kit. The kit is good quality,$80 if I remember right. purchased from Motorcycle Performance in Middleton. HOWEVER if you experience intermittent drop outs for the light during engine start. Change the relay in the wire harness that comes with the kit you buy! Mine was junk and needed a new one. it's just a standard issue 12 volt auto relay like you would get with a fog or driving light set.

The upgrade is worth the money! It made a bike with a horrible headlight setup drivable at night in my opinion!!!

Give me a few days to produce the write up for my 11GS LED (yes I said LED!!) headlight conversion!!! I bought the light from eBay. It's produced by a American firm called Truck-Lite. USA made even!! Part number for the light is 27450C is your interested in checking it out.

The adapter to allow for the fitment into the GS is manufactured by fellow on the ADV rider forums(great site by the way!) The guy's forum name is Coppergreen. He did a get job on the building of it.Stainless steel construction.Very rugged and bulletproof for GS riding!

Perry

Thanks Jake. Did you need an extension cable between the ballast and the bulb? Is that Xetronic kit Plug & play?

No extension needed, and it was pretty much plug and play for me - I purchased the bi-xenon option which provides for the high beam. I had no problems with the install, finding room for everything. With the nose cone off, you have an opportunity to tidy up the wiring, so keep your zip ties and dual lock handy. Fernando suggested that I might have to cut a larger hole in the existing rubber housing for the main bulb, but I did not have to do that.

Lighthiker90

Thanks Jake as well. I am going to add these to my winter project list.

Jordan - how about a close up of the artwork on your bike? Is that paint or decals?

Archived