IGNORED

Garmin/Zumo

farmerp

I was wondering if anyone had any information on upcoming Garmin/Zumo products. I am thinking of getting the 660LM. If there is something new/improved coming down the pipe I might reconsider. Also, any feedback on the 660 would be appreciated. Thanks

The 660 is the second generation… behind the 550 series and I believe it is approaching the time in the product life-cycle when it is getting "mature."

I have no information of course but I'll bet that something new will be along within the year.

But, having offered that fact-less opinion I have to suggest that a product like the 660 may be a great buy.

I got a 660 in 2012, to replace a Navigator III (2610) with a broken mounting tab and for which map updates were no longer available, and I've been very happy with it. I haven't used it really extensively, but it took me from San Diego to Torrey via NorCal and back, using mostly routes I'd pre-planned in BaseCamp, quite successfully.

That being said, it has several features I don't use. I don't use it to play music, because I'm an Apple user, and getting music into the 660 from iTunes is a pain. Also, it takes something like three button presses to pause the music, which is two too many for me (I use an iPod nano with an iJet remote control on the bars instead). I also don't use any of the Bluetooth functionality. I still run my audio through a wired Autocom setup, and I don't want to have anything to do with my cell phone when I'm riding.

I got a 660 in 2012, to replace a Navigator III (2610) with a broken mounting tab and for which map updates were no longer available, and I've been very happy with it. I haven't used it really extensively, but it took me from San Diego to Torrey via NorCal and back, using mostly routes I'd pre-planned in BaseCamp, quite successfully.

That being said, it has several features I don't use. I don't use it to play music, because I'm an Apple user, and getting music into the 660 from iTunes is a pain. Also, it takes something like three button presses to pause the music, which is two too many for me (I use an iPod nano with an iJet remote control on the bars instead). I also don't use any of the Bluetooth functionality. I still run my audio through a wired Autocom setup, and I don't want to have anything to do with my cell phone when I'm riding.

I believe the BMW Nav III GPS is based on Garmin's 2820, not the older 2610. I've been using my Nav III for several years, and hate to think what will happen when it finally dies.....I love it, and love using Mapsource! I keep looking at the newer Garmin GPSs, and don't see much that interests me, but I would need the BT navigation and cell phone pairing....I don't need the MP3 player, etc. The main thing I wish I could find is a Garmin 28xx/Nav III with a larger screen! Then I'd look no farther!

PS - I'm one of those guys who detest Basecamp.....tried it twice now and just can't handle it! :P

CoarsegoldKid

PS - I'm one of those guys who detest Basecamp.....tried it twice now and just can't handle it! :P

They keep updating it. It's getting better every update. That said it took me awhile to get it sorted in my mind. Now I don't know what all the fuss is about.

They keep updating it. It's getting better every update. That said it took me awhile to get it sorted in my mind. Now I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Just FYI, or anyone else's, there is a really good BC tutorial over at the MotorCycle Tourer Forum.

But I'm avoiding learning BC until the very last second! As long as Mapsource, my PC and GPS continue to work together, I'm a happy camper!

I've had a 550 for years, and didn't buy the 660 because the improvements did not justify the cost, for me.

But honestly, in my cars I am more likely to use iPhone apps than the GPS units I own. In my RV I use an iPad with a Bad Elf GPS dongle - it's great to have a big screen for those milliseconds I can take my eyes off the road when driving a 32,000 lb bus. I still have the 550 on the bike, but lately I've been using my iPhone in the clear window of my tank bag... the maps are up to date, plus I use some apps to show me where interstates are congested in near real time. And instead of paying for XM on the 550, I'm just listening to my own tunes on the iPhone.

Honestly, I think the days of $600 standalone GPS units are coming to an end.

Re Basecamp: I use it because what else? But it really seems like it was written by a 1990's PC guy who had never ever seen a Mac before. Or since.

I got a 660 in 2012, to replace a Navigator III (2610) ...

I believe the BMW Nav III GPS is based on Garmin's 2820, not the older 2610. ...

Yeah, I think I misremembered the Roman numeral. It was a Nav II/2610.

I got a 660 in 2012, to replace a Navigator III (2610) ...

I believe the BMW Nav III GPS is based on Garmin's 2820, not the older 2610. ...

Yeah, I think I misremembered the Roman numeral. It was a Nav II/2610.

There ya go! :Cool:

• 1 month later...

I dipped my toe into the GPS three years ago with a refurbished Garmin nüvi 265W, at $70 the cheapest thing I could find that seemed to offer decent features. After 3 years, I decided that a GPS really is useful to me, but the battery on the 265W is all but dead, the power switch is flaky, the screen is dim, and map updates cost money.

Last weekend I spotted a nüvi 52LM for sale at Best Buy for $120, less another $5 for a BB coupon that I had. It is a genuine improvement in every way over its predecessor. Screen resolution is the same, at 480x272, but on a 5" screen everything is more readable, and the controls are much easier to access with gloved hands — I really didn't expect screen size to make such a big difference. One of the things that I was looking for in a replacement GPS was a brighter screen, and I estimate that the 52LM is about as bright at 50% as the 265W at 100% brightness -- it's genuinely usable in bright sunlight.

The significance of improvements in both screen and user interface far exceeded my expectations. In my opinion, the nüvi 52LM provides a far better value for money than the smaller (but far more expensive) Zumos. It's not weatherproof, but I can always slip a bag over it or stow it if it starts raining.

I recently bought a BMW Nav V to replace my Garmin Montana, which will be relegated to car duty. Interestingly, this BMW unit has no Garmin equivalent (unlike previous BMW-branded units from Garmin). It is the "latest and greatest" as far as motorcycle units go. The only downside, so far, is that it's expensive (though I did take advantage of a 15% discount coupon from BMW that I obtained at the DC motorcycle show. That coupon saved me about $120)). Whether Garmin will release a MC GPS that's the equivalent of the Nav V remains to be seen.

I have the new Nav V and a Zumo 550 I bought in 2007. I like the size of the Nav V and the ability to do some screens from the selector wheel on the handlebar, but I must say the Zumo 550 is much easier to use with much more intuitive screens. If I could mount the Zumo in the cradle that comes on the 2014 RT, I would swap out the Nav V.

As far as expense...I thinkg the Zumo originally cost me about $600. Can't remember. The new Navigator V is $900, but got that included along with 600 mile check as part of sales deal...There was a page on the Garmin site for a while that showed the BMW Nav V for $500, but they have since removed it. Guess BMW didn't like that.

right now I still use my 2610. It has the basic features I want and other than the fact that the maps are no longer updated, I'm OK with it. But every now and then I look to see what's out there. I have a question about the 660LM. the web site says it has a removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, with a battery life of up to 5 hours. What do you do on long trips? Bring an extra battery? Or is there a connector to run off the bike battery like my 2610? Sorry if that's a really dumb question. . .

If you like the 2610, then grab a used 2720 on ebay for a song. (like under $50). I still love the old Streetpilots. They are great motorcycle units that are weather proof. If you don't need that silly BT voice nav stuff that mostly just annoys me, they are perfect. You can get new maps (I currently have the 2014 maps loaded) with a little effort. I'm going to grab another one just for a backup.

From Amazon.com's description of the zumo 660LM:

What's in the Box:

• zumo 660LM
  • Preloaded City Navigator® NT for U.S. and Canada
  • MapSource® City Navigator North America NT DVD
  • Motorcycle mount with integrated power cable and mounting hardware
  • Carrying case
  • Battery pack
  • Automotive suction cup mount
  • Automotive power cable
  • USB cable
  • Dashboard disk
  • Quick start manual

I hook mine direct to the bike battery (using the supplied power cable). When hooked up it also charges the battery.

The 660 has an integrated cradle that charges the device as you go. Provided that its connected to the bikes electrics . When i bought mine it came with a mains charger as well so you could charge it up in a hotel room overnight . This is useful if you want to plot a route for the following day as the battery life isnt that good .

I have used a street pilot III and a 276 c and found the zumo to be the the better unit for recalculating and drawing maps but the display in bright sunlight can be somewhat lacking.

In addition to the cradle and mains chargers, the 660 will also charge from a powered usb port if using a pc or laptop to plot routes.

Thanks to all for the replies about powering the 660, and the advice to grab a 2720 from ebay.

My 2610 is starting to get flaky with its reception (loses signal a bit too often even when in the open) so I may bite the bullet and try something new.

• 5 weeks later...

I just can't get into basecamp. I had to replace my desktop and my older mapsource would not run on Windows 8. Just purchased the DVD version of City Navigator 2014 for $70 form a vendor on Amazon. Garmain has a few left for $80. The DVD version is the only one you can do route planning on and send to your device.

Blind Squirrel

Is anyone running basecamp in windows 8.1?

I am considering moving from an ultrabook running Windows 7 to a ASUS tablet that runs Windows 8.1 to bring on my trips with me.

...The DVD version is the only one you can do route planning on and send to your device.

Not quite sure what you mean. City Navigator is only maps. To do any route planning on a computer and transfer the result (route/waypoints/via points) to your GPS, you're presumably using Basecamp, or Mapsource. As for only the DVD version allowing this, I don't understand that either. I just bought a Nav V, which came with pre-loaded maps on the device. When I updated the maps (through a download, not DVD), I simply downloaded the map update to both my GPS and to my Mac. I then plan routes etc. on my Mac and load the results onto my GPS, so there was no requirement to have the maps in DVD format to do this.

Archived