IGNORED

Roadcrafter rear vent

johnlt

As has been discussed on this board previously, the Aerostich Roadcrafter Jacket rear vent does little good because it only vents to the space "between the wind proof liner and the outer shell", not to the space inside of the jacket. Even if you have the armpit vents open and the cuffs open, that air cannot escape out the rear vent. Aerostich finally recognized this anomaly and offers a correction to this issue as an "alteration". They installed a 6" by 18" mesh panel "in the liner" in front of the rear vent which allows air coming in from a partially unzipped front, the cuffs, or the armpit vents to truly vent out the rear giving a significant improvement in air flow. See pic below.

StichVent-L.jpg

Aerostich finally recognized this anomaly and offers a correction to this issue as an "alteration". They installed a 6" by 18" mesh panel "in the liner" in front of the rear vent which allows air coming in from a partially unzipped front, the cuffs, or the armpit vents to truly vent out the rear giving a significant improvement in air flow.
Wouldn't that compromise the water resistance of the suit? The windproof shell is waterproof as well and if you open a big hole in it it would seem to me that it would allow the water to come in.

I use the venting so that it comes in my wrists and out my neck. I'll soak my shirt and as the air runs up my arms it feeds out thru the opened neck and actually cools that as well. Never found much use for the back vent myself.

Not at all Jim. The mesh panel is only in the "liner" not in the outer shell. You have to open the rear vent zipper of the outer shell under the reflective band to get any benefit. When it rains, you keep that zipper closed. There is no difference in the waterproofness of the jacket.

Good question Eric, no reason it couldn't be. I haven't looked at a "new" roadcrafter lately, maybe they have changed the design to address the issue.

Since the outer shell is wind proof waterproof, why isn't the liner mesh all over?

The RoadCrafter suits are not windproof, only waterproof.

Archived