IGNORED

The Coolest Pic of the Coolest Guy in the Coolest Car

longjohn

Don't think you'll find very many arguments with your thread title...we're talking PERSONALITY right there. Sad contrast with today's "stars and cars".

With due respect to Michael, I hope he makes a full recovery.

It does look like a one of the movie back lots, and that thing in the far left corner looks like a 50's era fabbed up roll cage for a 2 seater convertible. I hope he wasnt planning on bolting that thing in there and racing it, although it wouldnt have been uncommon in the day. James Dean did the same thing, they didn't know those cars would be worth millions 50 years later.

I had the good fortune to meet McQueen on a couple of occasions, and yes he was very cool. But that CAR!!! That's got more curves than the Kardashian girl and on the car they are actually sexy.

Also, I love what appears to be an early Vette reflected in the car's right rear fender.

Best racing movie ever made, period.

Most dont realize it but Steve was a helluva driver, he came very close to winning the 1970 12 Hours of Sebring in a Porsche 908/2 (and may have actually won) with a broken leg, nipped at the end by Mario Andrett in a much more powerful car.

I had a 908 for a time and at one of the big racecar reunions Steve's son Chad came over and talked to us for quite awhile, a really nice guy.

http://selvedgeyard.com/2009/05/12/the-legendary-1970-sebring-12-hour-race-steve-mcqueens-brush-with-victory/

It's a famous pic from Life Magazine I think. The curvaceous car in that industrial setting just does something to me. The car is Jaguar XKSS of which 18 were made. It's powered by a 3.4L 250hp straight six. You can read a bit more here: http://coendewinter.blogspot.com/2011/06/magnificent-jaguar-xkss.html

Very cool indeed. I think this photo is a contender for coolest coolest coolest honors.

1bf148fc7a6449161b32e313fc564b54.jpg

And Steve, of course, was a heckuva motorcycle rider and racer. When Bruce Brown was having a difficult time securing funding to make "On Any Sunday" he came to Steve and Steve reportedly agreed to underwrite the movie on condition that he actually be in it.

Very cool indeed. I think this photo is a contender for coolest coolest coolest honors.

Yep, that's a cool one alright. The car isn't quite as curvaceous though. Funny how both car companies are British.

It's a famous pic from Life Magazine I think. The curvaceous car in that industrial setting just does something to me. The car is Jaguar XKSS of which 18 were made. It's powered by a 3.4L 250hp straight six. You can read a bit more here: http://coendewinter.blogspot.com/2011/06/magnificent-jaguar-xkss.html

Looks like a still shot from Goldfinger. Since I am feeling quite old, I saw that movie when it was first run. He was being chased by a Hottie in a '65 Ford Mustang.

• 8 months later...

If you want to see this car in action with Leno at the helm:

Oh btw, one of the employees at Peterson thinks it has a value of 25-30 million.

russell_bynum

Looks like a still shot from Goldfinger. Since I am feeling quite old, I saw that movie when it was first run. He was being chased by a Hottie in a '65 Ford Mustang.

With all due respect to 007, that's a picture of Sean Connery ACTING cool.

Steve McQueen wasn't acting.

Archived