IGNORED

Battery minder under motorcycle cover

Fred C.

Just got to wondering whether there is necessarily any danger from covering the motorcycle for some weeks with the battery minder/charger attached? Would enough hydrogen gas be trapped right above the motorcycle to cause a fire or explosion hazard?

I remove the batteries from my other machines so this hasn't been an issue before but the RT fairing lends itself to leaving the battery in place and using the powerlet connection... I suppose a little gas will be generated over a few weeks but might it be able to escape through the waterproof cover?

If it is an AGM, they are "recombinant", meaning the gases recombine, not going to atmosphere. If it is a wet cell, a tender should be fine with the smallish charge but since I have no use for tenders, you may want to wait for a better answer.

Terry

Fred...for what it is worth....My bike has an agm battery. I keep it on a deltran tender 100% of the time I am not riding it. I keep it covered in my garage. The cover covers the whole bike. So far...after 9 years...all is well. If you have a lead acid wet battery....I don't know the answer to that type of battery.

I have 4 recreational vehicles I do the same for...

Fred

You will be fine with your set up. I will send you a PM or E-mail later answering why I don't use the tenders. By the way, which battery are you using?

Be well.

Terry

Not sure what battery is in it. The motor was recently delivered and I haven't felt like removing the fairing in the cold to look, I think it's a BMW liquid filled from something the seller said but not sure.

Archived