IGNORED

BMW "Art Car" Inspired Motorcycle Wrap

Jordan Thienel

Jordan Thienel

Upon noticing BMW does an Art Car year after year it inspired me to make an BMW Art Motorcycle. Pictures don't do it justice but its supposed to look like paint is flowing over it.

photo1TIF_zps8b161a3b.jpg

photoTIF_zps3fe5cf39.jpg

photo3TIF_zps705591b6.jpg

photo4TIF_zps48e4c7a2.jpg

photoTIF2_zps3c06060c.jpg

Hi Jordan and congratulations on your job.

Two things I need to ask you.

First: are your mirrors wrapped as well? If so which material did you use?

Second: since you seem handy with these things I have a question for you. Which wrapping material would you use in high wear applications? I've asked a few car wrapping businesses and got different answers (and obviously different prices).

Thanks for your time.

Jordan Thienel

Second: since you seem handy with these things I have a question for you. Which wrapping material would you use in high wear applications? I've asked a few car wrapping businesses and got different answers (and obviously different prices).

Thanks for your time.

Thanks everyone!

Yes my mirrors are wrapped as well. I used 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fiber to wrap those. When I got the bike from the PO they had some damage from falling off his lift. :(

Regarding high wear areas it depends what you're looking to achieve. If you would like to change the color I would wrap it with whatever you would like, followed by a urethane paint protection film. It's clear(virtually invisible from 5+ feet away), comes in a matte or clear finish and is very strong. If you're just looking to protect certain areas the latter option(urethane paint protection film) is your best bet.

If you should have the need to remove it down the road it peels off easily and leaves the paint underneath just as good as the day you put it on. With the occasional bit of adhesive left behind.

If you're looking for area specific paint/plastic protection PM me and I'll get you more information.

I think this is spectacular. I had no idea there was a film one could apply to achieve results like this. Guess I got bypassed with this knowledge somehow

It looks nice and interesting, an eye catcher for sure.

This concept would work very well to cover up some minor road rash or garage rub.

Just curious , what would some think like that cost, to cover a bike like that?

The pattern it self looks nice but I would request omitting pink (unless I am buying it for my a lady friend) and substitute it with blue or greenish color.

Guest Kakugo

Thanks for your time.

Thanks everyone!

Yes my mirrors are wrapped as well. I used 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fiber to wrap those. When I got the bike from the PO they had some damage from falling off his lift. :(

Regarding high wear areas it depends what you're looking to achieve. If you would like to change the color I would wrap it with whatever you would like, followed by a urethane paint protection film. It's clear(virtually invisible from 5+ feet away), comes in a matte or clear finish and is very strong. If you're just looking to protect certain areas the latter option(urethane paint protection film) is your best bet.

If you should have the need to remove it down the road it peels off easily and leaves the paint underneath just as good as the day you put it on. With the occasional bit of adhesive left behind.

If you're looking for area specific paint/plastic protection PM me and I'll get you more information.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I am basically looking for a film to wrap the heel plates of my R1200RT with. Nothing fancy, needs just to protect the paint once I've touched it up.

I've tried vinyl-based films but I've been far from impressed with the results.

Beautiful work!

I've been thinking of having this done on my bike, as I've seen some amazing colors on some custom cars and trailers that would look great on the bike.

Are you concerned at all about the wrap coming loose around the cylinder heads from the heat?

Jordan Thienel

Thanks a lot! Yeah, there are A LOT of beautiful wrap color choices now.

It'll definitely be a good test!

I'm not too worried though. We've wrapped the underside of a hood on a Ford Mustang and it's held up thus far.

This is pretty cool. Beautiful work. I have to share my initial impression when I first pulled up this post, only because I think it's a good laugh on me...

Easter Egg

Sorry. On a slightly more serious note, this really opens up the possibilities when considering a cosmetic change for your ride. I'm still happy with my red, but down road, who knows.

WOW. Very creative and impressive. We have busses and subway cars "wrapped" here in New York City...both on the exterior and the interior of subway cars. They use a wrap that has pinpoint holes to let passengers see outside the car while the wrap seems like a solid message board to people looking into the car from the outside. I would imagine the small holes also allow trapped air to escape as the wrap is applied on the surface.

Thanks for sharing this project.

Jordan Thienel

Wraps are taking off all over! I got some better photos this past week for a magazine it will be featured in and Ill include some shots taken while I was applying it.

texasaggie97

Wow that is cool. How long with the wrap last and does it have any residual effect on the original paint? I always though you could do a really cool paint job on your bike and if you wanted to change back or get a new one you could just remove the wrap. Nice job!!!

Is this your business or do you work there?

I'm partial owner.

Thanks for disclosure.

How about a real "one-time" (per board rules)

that tells or links us to production time/costs etc?

Looks great.

Is this your business or do you work there?

I'm partial owner.

Thanks for disclosure.

Looks great.

Jordan, what Tim is referring to is the fact that we're a non-commercial board, but do allow our members a one-time disclosure of a business or service that the members might be interested in. As such, this would be your opportunity to present your work, your business, and to present pricing for similar work. After this thread has been exhausted, you would only be allowed to mention your business if a member asked about these types of products. And you could only respond in a reactive, non-marketing manner (i.e. if pricing was brought up, you would have to reply privately). You could however, maintain a link to your business in your signature line.

So take advantage of this opportunity and let everyone know about your business and how they can take advantage of the products and services you offer.

Jordan Thienel
Wow that is cool. How long with the wrap last and does it have any residual effect on the original paint? I always though you could do a really cool paint job on your bike and if you wanted to change back or get a new one you could just remove the wrap. Nice job!!!

The wrap will last many years. It's prone to scuffs and scratches, however we completely wrapped a K1200LT about 2 1/2 years ago and it still looks great! If something should happen its nice that you can replace only whats needed.

Should I want to take the wrap off, it may leave some adhesive but leave the paint underneath just as good as before the wrap was installed.

Thanks for disclosure.

Looks great.

Regarding production time and costs, I have at least 10+ hours into this bike.

For a custom design wrap the process starts with taking rough paper and pencil tracings of the areas to be covered. Once those outlines are in the computer they are sized appropriately, layed out and the design process begins. For this project a Wacom tablet was used, meticulously drawing out each paint stroke in Photoshop until it was just right. Once the final design was complete which took about 3 hours, it is printed to automotive vinyl wrap material and laminated for longevity. After being printed its time to begin applying it to the bike. This bike took about 10 hours in total to install and trim. Considering design time and labor, a bike with a custom design would run around $1600*.

If someone would be looking for simply a solid color change rather than something custom it would run around $1200-$1400*.

*The estimate reflects materials and installation labor. It varys greatly depending on the size/coverage area of the motorcycle.

Other than wraps we also have the widest range of pre-cut Motorcycle Paint Protection Kit collections out there. We use a optically clear, highly durable polyurathane film thats great for protecting wear areas from clothing, stone chips, bugs acids, road tar, etc. From 5+ feet away you wouldnt even know its there.

Our main passion though is pre-cut custom graphics for your car or motorcycle. We're always designing new graphics and are always willing to work with customers to make their car/motorcycle stand out, just how they want.

Thanks for the interest and opportunity to share some information about our passion and what we do.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent work. Is it possible to order a wrap and install it yourself? I have the same bike. The pattern sizes should already be on file. A quick look at your site didn't show wraps available.

Jordan Thienel
Excellent work. Is it possible to order a wrap and install it yourself? I have the same bike. The pattern sizes should already be on file. A quick look at your site didn't show wraps available.

Yeah you can order a wrap to install yourself. What're you looking to do? Completely change the color, a custom design? We dont have any other designs for the R1100RT on file but I can help you out.

Thanks for the interest

Thanks for the "in-process" pictures. Would I be correct to assume that at some point you use a heat gun? Otherwise, it's hard for me to imagine how the film conforms to such complex curves.

Jordan Thienel

Yeah, your assumption is correct.

Vinyl has a memory and likes to pull back once it cools down after being heated and stretched, so we try to install as much as we can without heat, than use heat and a little adhesive promoter to help it stay down in the curvy areas.

I tried to wrap parts of a KLR once, wasted about 100.00 on vinyl. I would love a Satin blue on my RT but for 1400 you could do one whale of a paint job!!

Don't get me wrong, that looks awesome but sure seems cost prohibitive

Chris

Jordan Thienel

Like I mentioned the cost varies greatly depending on the amount of coverage you may have. A GS will obviously cost less due to less square footage to wrap than an RT.

Vinyl material meant for wraps is a bit more costly than standard vinyl you'd make decals from and installation is a lot of the cost. Given your experience; its more difficult than it may seem and getting it to look A+ around edges and in seams takes time.

Thanks for the compliments though. I cant wait to get back on this spring!

Archived