IGNORED

CANBUS Question.

OlGeezer

I have a 2012 GSA with almost 15k miles on it. My heated hand grips seemed to quit last night. I know I don't have fuses or relays. I haven't checked fault codes with my GS 911.

Is there anything else I should consider in my diagnostics?

Thank you,

Evening OlGeezer

Not much to go wrong unless a broken wire or something overloading the circuit.

Are you sure they quit? If so then see if your GS-911 shows anything.

If nothing on the GS-911 then see if they work next time you use them.

If they work but quit again then shut the engine off to re-set the computer then see if they come back on. If so then look for a short or possibly a low resistance heater.

If they still don't work you might look for a wire connector pulled loose or a shorted wire.

You might ohm out each grip heater independently to see if the elements are intact & have continuity.

I checked my service bulletins & came up dry but I don't have all of them so you might call your dealer & have then run your VIN to see if any bulletins on your heated grips.

Thanks, DR.

Please refresh my memory on the reboot procedure. On my 2002 RT, I would turn the key on and then twist the throttle all the way open either two or three times. I imagine the procedure is different on the CANBUS system.

BTW, I once thought my electric liner quit working. My test was to turn it off. I was working alright. It was just freaking cold outside! I did the same test, but it wasn't nearly that cold last night (about 57F).

Curious. Under wty and surrounded by dealers in socal. Why not let them solve it?

Two reasons:

1. Time. Take a morning off work, drop off the bike, ride home on the loaner. Wait a few days. Take another morning (or afternoon) off work, drop off the loaner and pick up the bike.

2. Subjecting myself to the humiliation of the service department because I didn't rule out the obvious before bringing the bike in. And, yes, they are ruthless. Taking the bike to the dealer is my last option. I would like to figure things out as much as I can (with the help of this forum, of course) so that I don't become dependent on the dealer.

:rofl:

From your name I assumed you were not working. +1 on the new dealer. I do everything but wty work on my bikes and Blue Moon treats me very well on wty work. Only a leaking rear shock and a slightly out of true handlebar so far but were both replaced quickly in a friendly manner.

You need to find another dealer.

There are plenty in the area. None would solve issue number 1. Issue number 2 is probably in my head. That's why I added the ROFLMAO emoticon.

Grips worked today. I don't know what the problem was Saturday night.

Carry on.

Turned 15k miles today. I am determined to make this a good year.

As a follow-up, I connected my GS911 to the bike (thanks to my brand new Android app -yea!). Checking fault codes, it did show both heated grips shorting in the past but that short is no longer present. It's good to know this incident wasn't in my mind, but, on the other hand, if it had been just in my hand, I wouldn't have this lingering question what caused the problem and will it happen again. Shrug. I guess I have something to look forward to.

Archived