IGNORED

2012 RT gear box oil change

MJDO

Going to change the gearbox oil myself for the first itme. Looks like I need to pull off the entire right-side bodywork. Is this correct or is there an easier way to do this?

Try not to get the gear oil on the mufflers when you drain the transmission. It's a sticky mess and will stink and smoke when hot. Guess how I know.....

Check out the MAX BMW website, they have several really good videos covering bike maintenance jobs. I know that they've helped me to get a better understanding of how to do things!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Don't forget, the fill plug gets removed first! Simply to verify that it can be removed before draining all the oil out.

I just did my RT. The method I used might not be a good idea for all.

I put the bike on the sidestand, pulled the plug and let it drain while righting the bike from the right side. Leaning a little to the right to get the last few drops to drain. Let it back onto the sidestand, wipe the area and reinstall the plug. No mess on anything. Centerstand is out of the way.

Like I said before, don't attempt unless you are confident enough in your ability to manage the bike and not drop it on yourself.

Frank

Archived