IGNORED

Key position/ mini light

drtnsnw

This is kind of a little annoyance for me that is time to address. The only position I can remove my key is the steering lock position. It will come out in one other spot but in that spot the running lights are always on. Is this the normal state of this? Is there a way to bypass it?

Also, in the headlight housing there is this little tiny light that I have never seen work for anything. Is this factory or added after the fact??

Chris

The R1100RT does not have running lights out of the factory, so your wiring may be non-standard. The little light in the headlamp is the "Pilot" or "Parking" light, required in some European countries to park on the street at night, and is standard.

The key should be non-removable in the "Run" position and removable in the (in order, counter-clockwise from "Run") "Off", "Lock" and "P" positions. In the "P" position the tail-light and pilot-light should both be lit.

Andy

OK, got the little light in the front and the tail lights to come on with the key past lock. Understand that.

So, the R1100RT didn't have running lights in the blinkers?? Any idea about some write up to look at that will get me in the right spot to figure out why my turn signals burn steady with the key in the off position and not lock??

Chris

A popular modification in the USA is to fit after-market turn-signal kits - the Kissan Signal Minder is the one most often posted about here. It replaces the stock turn-signal relay (which is an electronic assembly and not just a relay) and can be programmed into several modes, but I have not hard of the behaviour you describe.

I do not know of a write-up, but can point you to a wiring diagram Here.

EDIT: I see someone is offering a turn-signal relay for the R1100RT in our classifieds: Linky

Andy

Did some digging around. Looks like the PO cut the BMW lights sockets out and mounted new dual filament bulbs into the turn signals. This would be great except he used the wrong lead for the power for the running lights. I am going to have to pull the side panels off and try and figure out where he pulled the power from and reroute it from a better line. I need to get a key on hot up under the cowl anyway for the GPS power so I guess I need to spend the time and run a larger gauge hot up there with a relay

Chris

DID Some searching for Run-N-Lites and there website was bad. pretty sure what needs to happen is a better switched hot to a relay to poweer both the running litghts and my GPS that I want to shut down when I turn off the key. I think I found the radio wires all taped up behind the intake horn too. Had some kind of wierd 2 prong plugs with no power (speaker) and a couple of hots too. just need to pull the front plastic off and get in there better

Chris

Archived