IGNORED

Clutch change and i also have a rubbing sound

nick1345USMC

i have taken appart me 2003 1150r to change the clutch. fluid from the out put cylineder clutch was leaking on the clutch assembly. befor i stoped riding the transmission mede a rubbing sound. it also makes the sound why seating in neurtal. i think that one of the grooved ball bearing on the ends of the spline shaft have went out. the spline will spine but it sticks. any advice or suggestions.

Morning Nick

Yes, the trans has to be split apart to change the bearings.

On your rubbing noise?-- for us to help you there we will need a LOT more info from you on what it sounds like, when it happens, does it change cold to hot, is it at engine RPM or a at some off order?

As you have found out it is very difficult to pinpoint a trans noise with the bike running in front of you & almost impossible over the internet without massive amounts of info from the rider.

Thanks for the info I think that the bearings are the problem. After I took the bike apart when I would spin the spline shaft it would stick.the bike would make the rubbing sound even in neutral.it not a hot or cold thing it does it as soon as you start the bike. Any advise on split the transmission?

Afternoon Nick

The BMW 1150 6 speed trans is pain to set up yourself at home. There are height fixtures needed to set the shaft spacing & stack height.

It CAN be done at home using a TALL height gauge (the way I do it) or even setting up some basic measurements using the trans case as a fixture .

It's way too complicated to just post a few sentences here & have you do it properly.

My suggestion is to get a BMW service manual then read & study it many times until you know exactly what needs to be set up. Then see what you have available to make or circumvent the needed BMW fixtures.

Archived