IGNORED

Multitool

g_frey

Personally I would never leave for a motorcycle trip without my Leatherman Wave Multitool. I have used them since they came out and worn out one and broke the screwdriver in another. The company sent me a new one rather than repair the old one. I would have rather had the repaired one back but hey I can't complain. It is not so much that I use this tool on the bike (I do) but it is just so handy overall especially when camping. I am on my third/forth one now (one lost, one broken, one wore out).

I carry one with me all the time, in my RT's glove box.
I was looking at them as possible gifts to my sons (who are now riding) this year and decided against it. Seems to me that I'd still reach for all of the "real" tools like the screwdrivers, knife, pliers, etc. and if I'm going to carry the others, why carry the multi-tool? I've had them in the past and never got past their limitations and seemed to always revert to using the "real" tools. I probably have 4 or 5 of them around the garage getting old & dusty. Didn't matter if it were for the bike or for when I was backpacking.

So, do you still carry the corresponding individual tools or did you drop them out of your tool roll and now use the Leatherman instead?

I have had a Leatherman in one form or another on my belt everyday for over 15 years and grab it first. My friends used to mock me because I always have it, but after I've used it to their benefit that stopped. Now they just point to what's wrong and stand back.

I've had the Charge since they came out and love it, best design yet.

And it beats the Swiss Army Knife at every task I've ever done with it. I like the simple, utilitarian design, too. Plus, the name "Leatherman" sounds kinda kinky, yes?

pete

I carry one with me all the time, in my RT's glove box.
I was looking at them as possible gifts to my sons (who are now riding) this year and decided against it. Seems to me that I'd still reach for all of the "real" tools like the screwdrivers, knife, pliers, etc. and if I'm going to carry the others, why carry the multi-tool? I've had them in the past and never got past their limitations and seemed to always revert to using the "real" tools. I probably have 4 or 5 of them around the garage getting old & dusty. Didn't matter if it were for the bike or for when I was backpacking.

So, do you still carry the corresponding individual tools or did you drop them out of your tool roll and now use the Leatherman instead?

I understand your point. But my "real tools" are usually buried deep in my left pannier. For quick adjustments, cutting, slicing, screwdrivering, pliering, it's the tool I reach for. But yes, when I need to get under the tupperware, the full-size stuff comes out. It's just not that often compared to all the little stuff.

Actually I usually use the multitool so I don't have to get the gear off the back, then the seat off, then the roll out. This only works if the multitool will do what I want. I hope you tried out a quality multitool with locking "blades". The other kind are just not up to snuff. I added only the tools I needed to my roll in the back and none that the multi covered.

I went and gave good multitools to my relatives. Most went into a drawer somewhere, some went into a glove box, one went on a belt when "camping". Sort of an expensive waste seemed like later; so I don't do that sort of present anymore. Sort of like the mother in law who complained that she did not get a present to which her daughter in law said: "well you never used the grave plot I bought you last year".

Since we're talking about Multitools, I just have to share pictures of what I recently found at the classifieds of another motorcycle forum.

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

Not especially high quality tool, but it looks good next to my BMW business card holder and ID tag lanyard. :rofl:

Mikko

I've been using Leatherman tools since the 1970's, and I appreciate Tim Leatherman's obsessive attention to detail. Leatherman is one of the few companies where a guarantee is really a guarantee. I had an early version of the Wave, which developed a clicking noise when I walked. I sent it in, and they sent me a new Wave, with an improved design that included a small spring that maintained tension when folded, so it wouldn't click.

However, there are now two lines of Leatherman tools, one made in the USA and the other made in China. The Chinese ones are alright, but there is really no comparison with the real thing. This is one case where "buy American" really makes sense.

For around $20 on Amazon recently, the Leatherman Wingman earns a place in my tank bag.

Not the most feature rich with only:

420HC Combo Knife, Spring-action Regular Pliers, Spring-action Needlenose Pliers, Spring-action Wire Cutters

Wire Stripper, Small Screwdriver, Medium Screwdriver, Phillips Screwdriver,

Spring-action scissors

Wood/Metal File, Bottle Opener, Can Opener

Guest Kakugo

I have an old (meaning before they were bought out by Fiskars) Gerber multi tool residing in the RT radio compartment. It came in a pouch with an assortment of screwdriver bits and it's as sturdy as they made them. Oh, and it still proclaims "Made in USA". :)

I've seen more recent Gerber multi tools and they seem to have lost a lot of their luster... :P

Really for when you need to slice an apple on the road or making other small things.

Please tell me the "Wave" is not made in China now.

To the best of my knowledge, the Wave is still made in USA, but the Wingman is definitely Chinese, and has an over-polished finish that is in stark contrast to the brushed/bead-blasted surfaces of the Wave.

My current Wave is about 15 months old and, like a BMW boxer, is just getting broken in. My only complaint is the crummy nylon sheath with Velcro fastener; fortunately, leather sheaths with a proper snap are available at reasonable cost.

Selden is right, my $21 Wingman is shiny. But it seems to work OK and has the same 25 year guarantee.

It was a real value when I bought it last summer. Has gone up in price by a few bucks since then.

Please tell me the "Wave" is not made in China now.

To the best of my knowledge, the Wave is still made in USA, but the Wingman is definitely Chinese, and has an over-polished finish that is in stark contrast to the brushed/bead-blasted surfaces of the Wave.

My current Wave is about 15 months old and, like a BMW boxer, is just getting broken in. My only complaint is the crummy nylon sheath with Velcro fastener; fortunately, leather sheaths with a proper snap are available at reasonable cost.

Kind of tricky. Is a car assembled in the US from foreign parts a foreign car or a domestic car?

Here is the response from Letherman when I asked where my Wingman was made.

Hello Byron,

Thank you for contacting Leatherman Tool Group.

In regards to your question about where the Wingman is manufactured, our one and only manufacturing facility of Leatherman tools is located in Portland, Oregon. We have been headquartered and manufacturing here for almost 30 years. We provide jobs for approximately 650 Portland-area folks and our facility is approximately 90,000 square-feet.

We are often asked why we do not mark our products with “Made in USA”, or why we used to and don’t anymore. We do have a few parts that come to us from outside the US. Regardless of how small the part may be, or the fact that upwards of 60% of the finish work needed to make these parts functional (even before assembly) still happens in our facilities here, we cannot mark “Made in USA/Portland” and still sell in the State of California. Rather than mark some tools one way and others another, we have tried to keep it simple and keep our markings to just the tool name itself.

If you have any other questions, let us know. We’re proud of our manufacturing facilities here and we invite folks who live in or visit the Portland area to join us for a tour. We give tours every Wednesday at 10:00 am and you can call 503-408-5550 to reserve a space.

Thanks for taking the time to inquire and for supporting our workforce here in Portland, Oregon.

Shellee Kennedy

Customer Service

Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.

Leatherman / LED Lenser

503-253-7826

So according to them, their only "manufacturing" facility is in Portland. Where they use parts from various countries to "make" them.

Are 100% of the parts in your Beemer made in Germany? Dunno

Re Beemer parts, the answer is known and it is NO.

I tend to agree with Digger Jim. I own and carry multiools, most Leatherman which is good stuff. But I tend to reach for my real tool roll first- most jobs on newer bikes need a torx and probably another thing or two not on the multitool so by itself it won't allow completion of many repairs.

If all you need to do is pull a nail and plug a tire, however, the multi can sub for the pliers, knife, etc that you're going to need.

Archived