IGNORED

Tires and battery charging

ChipSoars

I have a 2013 R1200RT.

About 7k miles and the OEM Bridgestones, especially the front are soon ready for replacement. Yes I know there have been posts before, but as of this point I would a appreciate recommendations.

I would like to hook a trickle charger up. The manual says to use the power ports. Does this mean either the front port or the one at the rear seat. Is there a better solution.

Rode today for a couple hours. 35F. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Evening Chip

On the tire question: That is very difficult to answer as you & I ride on different road surfaces, at different aggressiveness, & more than likely at different speeds. All those things effect how a tire holds up & how a tire meets the riders needs.

Lots of riders seem to like the PR3 but for me personally they don't work for my roads & riding style & I seem to wear them out quickly.

I guess what I'm saying is, is to keep trying different tire brands until you find what works best for you.

On the battery charging question I can be more specific.

Those OEM power sockets can ONLY be used to charge the battery IF you use the very expensive BMW CanBus charger (or similar). Those onboard sockets need a special charger to keep the bike's computer alive so the power sockets remain active.

You can charge with a regular battery charger if you add an SAE pigtail directly to the battery then charge through that-- BUT-- the charger MUST NOT EXCEED 15 volts (ever) & should be compatible to charge your battery type.

On my 2013, I replaced the front aux outlet with one from powerlet wired directly to the battery. when the bike gets put away, the charger gets plugged in. This also eliminated any current restrictions at the rear plug if my wife both wanted heated gear.

I have a 2013 R1200RT.

About 7k miles and the OEM Bridgestones, especially the front are soon ready for replacement. Yes I know there have been posts before, but as of this point I would a appreciate recommendations.

I would like to hook a trickle charger up. The manual says to use the power ports. Does this mean either the front port or the one at the rear seat. Is there a better solution.

Rode today for a couple hours. 35F. Enjoyed every minute of it.

As per tyres, you'll find a surprising majority of people here use the same tyre: Michelin Pilot Road 3. I am heavily biased towards Michelin tyres, but if so many persons with so many different riding styles and requirements speak so highly of it there must be a reason.

Mind Michelin had a new touring tyre coming out in January (Pilot Road 4, with the GT version especially recommended for the RT family) so you may want to wait to either try it out or get a better deal on the PR3.

Other tyres you may want to check out are the Metzeler Z8, the Bridgestone T30 and Pirelli Angel.

As per charger: I've always charged all my bikes either by fitting a piggy tail extension to the battery (often supplied with the charger itself) or by simply using the alligator clamps. Even the RT, and the BMW Electronics Fire Goddess hasn't cursed me yet. :rofl:

If you want to use the port, there is an alternative to the frankly obscenely priced BMW charger:

Optimate 4 Dual Program

If you want to use the port, there is an alternative to the frankly obscenely priced BMW charger:

Optimate 4 Dual Program

Ouch it's overpriced, but so is a new RT. If you can swallow the expense, I recommend the Optimate.

Relative to CTEK chargers (which are better than Tecmate and are "Odyssey approved") it sure is, but as far as I know it's the only aftermarket "CAN-Bus" compatible charger available, so it's either that or BMW.

And, given what I've seen lately, I would never call an RT overpriced. :grin:

What do I need with the Optimate to connect properly? The BMW charger seems to have a nice mark up for the name.

And all that responded, thank you very much.

What do I need with the Optimate to connect properly? The BMW charger seems to have a nice mark up for the name.

And all that responded, thank you very much.

If you buy the CAN-BUS Edition, nothing. It already comes with a socket connector.

I run Michelins PR 2's and now PR 3's. I have been getting 16 - 17,000 km on the rears and about 20 - 21,000 km on the front.

For charging the battery, I have been using a Battery Tender Jr on my bikes for the last 9 or 10 years. Connect it to the battery and only $30.00. Works great.

aggieengineer

I had not seen the Bridgestone T30 mentioned above, but Revzilla has them at a very reasonable $232 for a pair. I go through a set of tires every year, and have used many different brands. I have found them all to be quite satisfactory, although I'm not the most aggressive rider on the road. I've never seen a tire comparison using scientific controls - new tires, same motorcycle, rider not aware of what brand he's testing.

I have been using Michelins for the last few years, but that's based on ease of installation (they're quite flexible), and the fact that Michelin sent me a check to replace a punctured, nearly new tire. I had only asked for their recommendation on acceptable repair locations. Great service makes loyal customers.

I'm among the happy converts to the PR3's. I run Dunlop Sportmax Q2's on the 848, though, as I find them a bit stickier and better wearing than the Pilot Powers, which I've liked pretty well in the past. My experience with Bridgestone over the years is that they don't offer the same level of comfort and grip as either Dunlop or Michelin, and when the temps drop below about 40 F, they feel as though they're made of wood and offer almost no grip at all. In cold conditions especially (but not exclusively), when they break loose, unlike the competing brands noted above, it is not in a predictable, progressive manner. As in "This is all so sudden." Your results may vary....

I got the Optimate Can Bus edition. I checked it, and it was configured out of the box from Amazon.

On tires, I will likely go the Michelin route. I haven't seen any posts big on Bridgestone.

Thanks All! Happy New Year and safe riding.

BTW, I'm fairly certain on the PR3's, there's a version specifically made for heavier bikes. Your dealer / installer should know what the specific designation is, but if you're ordering them direct, be sure to get the right ones. Not sure if Michelin has a similar (somewhat stouter) version to theirs, but it's worth checking.

On the charger issue, is the use of Battery Tender really not a good idea? I have both the gel and standard versions, and the dealer indicated that the OEM battery in my 2013 RT is gel -- didn't say anything about using a Can Bus-specific charger, but there's an Optima in my Amazon cart right now. I also asked the dealer which power outlet is appropriate for charging the battery, and the service manager said the forward (rider's) outlet is wired (by them) as part of set-up.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my PR4 GT's from Revzilla. They were less expensive than the PR3's, about $320 for the pair, including shipping. They arrived in a day and a half.

Can't go wrong with Michelins although Z8s are good too. As for charging the battery, ride the bike every day and it shouldn't be a problem... :grin:

Nathan Margolis

On the battery charging issue, it got me thinking too about Battery Tender Jrs. Called Battery Tender and their engineer really puzzled me as he said "Talk to BMW" as if he was concealing something.

However, after calling 3-4 dealers across the country and asking this question to service managers, it was consentous that connecting a Battery Tender Jr. directly to the battery on a CAN-BUS electrical system is perfectly safe.

On the battery charging issue, it got me thinking too about Battery Tender Jrs. Called Battery Tender and their engineer really puzzled me as he said "Talk to BMW" as if he was concealing something.

However, after calling 3-4 dealers across the country and asking this question to service managers, it was consentous that connecting a Battery Tender Jr. directly to the battery on a CAN-BUS electrical system is perfectly safe.

When I told my dealer's head of assistance I was charging the battery straight from the cables I expected to be at very least excommunicated. Instead I got nothing more than "We do it all the time ourselves"... as proof they had a GS being charged from a simple trickle charger in the shop.

So, yes, it's perfectly safe. :grin:

It is safe to charge from a outside source. As long as the charger you are using does not exceed 14 volts at any time during the charge.

A good trickle charger will start a charge at what ever rate it is rated. So lets say you have a 1.5 amp trickle charger it will initially charge at 1.5 or slightly higher and as the battery top charges the rate of charge will decrease to a very low rate. I have placed a digital amp meter on a few trickle chargers and found that it will charge down to a rate of .0xx amps when in a float mode. When I turn on the ignition and lights it jumps back up until it tops off again. This is what a good trickle charger does. I have a Deltran Battery Tender Plus and a Dura Boost 1000 both purchased at Cycle Gear. Both chargers do exactly the same thing. I recommend both or either one.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Parts/Batteries/Battery-Chargers/brand/DELTRAN/Battery-Tender-Plus/p/36545_46370

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Parts/Batteries/Battery-Chargers/brand/DURABOOST/Battery-Maintainer-1000/p/42959_00000

Morning All

From BMW service bulletin on battery charging a BMW Can-Bus motorcycle-- "Commercially available chargers must not exceed a charging voltage of 14.4 volts DC, or be designed to run desulphurization cycles." -

From another BMW service advisory--

"Gel batteries can be exposed to a charge voltage of 14.4V for only a limited period of time. Continuous charging with 14.4V or higher will damage the battery. When charging at 14.4V excessive quantities of Hydrogen and Oxygen gas are produced that cannot be recycled into water and will cause the internal pressure of the battery to increase drastically. When a certain internal pressure is reached, the pressure relief valve opens allowing the gasses to escape. The opening of the relief valve will render the battery useless."

There is also another advisory to NEVER exceed 15 volts with the battery still connected to the bike as on-board electronics could be damaged.

(desulphurization cycles can easily exceed 15.5 volts)

As for using a Deltran Battery Tender or Tender Jr.-- you might want to monitor the charging voltage with a good voltmeter as I have seen a few of them exceed that 14.4 volts DC while doing the bulk charge.

If the bike has an aftermarket battery (non BMW Gel) then go by the battery documentation for the battery being used. BUT in no case ever exceed 15 volts with the battery still hooked to the bike's electrical system.

I'm not sure IF the later CamHead 1200RT bikes still use a Gel battery, some of the newer GS's seem to not have a Gel battery as they come from the factory .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Morning All

From BMW service bulletin on battery charging a BMW Can-Bus motorcycle-- "Commercially available chargers must not exceed a charging voltage of 14.4 volts DC, or be designed to run desulphurization cycles." -

From another BMW service advisory--

"Gel batteries can be exposed to a charge voltage of 14.4V for only a limited period of time. Continuous charging with 14.4V or higher will damage the battery. When charging at 14.4V excessive quantities of Hydrogen and Oxygen gas are produced that cannot be recycled into water and will cause the internal pressure of the battery to increase drastically. When a certain internal pressure is reached, the pressure relief valve opens allowing the gasses to escape. The opening of the relief valve will render the battery useless."

There is also another advisory to NEVER exceed 15 volts with the battery still connected to the bike as on-board electronics could be damaged.

(desulphurization cycles can easily exceed 15.5 volts)

As for using a Deltran Battery Tender or Tender Jr.-- you might want to monitor the charging voltage with a good voltmeter as I have seen a few of them exceed that 14.4 volts DC while doing the bulk charge.

If the bike has an aftermarket battery (non BMW Gel) then go by the battery documentation for the battery being used. BUT in no case ever exceed 15 volts with the battery still hooked to the bike's electrical system.

I'm not sure IF the later CamHead 1200RT bikes still use a Gel battery, some of the newer GS's seem to not have a Gel battery as they come from the factory .

I recently purchased a 2013 GSA and decided to update my battery charger as well. Before reading dirtrider's comments above, I purchased a Dual Program Optimate 4 charger by Tecmate. After reading dirtrider's comment, I read the technical specs on this Optimate 4 which state that the unit can charge as high as 16V. So, I contacted the Tecmate Tech help department via their "contact us" page with questions. They promptly responded to my first question via return email. To my follow-up question, they took the time to call me personally even though I purchased the unit via the web site named after the big river that begins with A.

According to Jeff at the Tecmate Tech help desk; the Optimate 4 is programmed to never exceed 14.3V as long as the battery is still connected to the bike. The Optimate 4 can sense or detect when it's connected and will not exceed 14.3V in either the Standard or CAN bus programming modes.

I have no skin in the game. Just wanted to share what I was told. Great tech support from such a large company though! :grin:

Archived