IGNORED

Tis the season

hopz

There has been a respectable amount of chatter recently about bikes other than those made in the "fatherland". Must be something in the air.

I suppose I have been infected as well, but certainly no decisions on the horizon.

I would like to hear thoughts, experiences and chat about the Bonneville and or the T100 Triumph.

If you can put your thinking cap on and consider the Britt Bikes with regard to the second position in the garage behind the RT… ? Something reasonably comfortable, Easy to throw a leg over and good ergonomics for an old fart such as myself. I was greatly impressed with the Kawasaki W800 until I found out it was not imported here.

I like the style of the Triumph classics. I like the sound. I like the ease of living with an un-faired straight forward, twin cylinder bike… reasonable performance, comfort, etc, and besides I already have a Triumph jacket.

Thoughts?

Hi, Bob, and Merry Christmas to you and Suzi. My son-in-law had a T-100. He liked it a lot, but he's into British everything. (He's on his second A-H Sprite with right hand drive.) Anyway, his T-100 had essentially no range because of its small tank. Good for riding the local hills, but he felt he couldn't go very far on it. Sold it for an airhead.

I want a newer Bonneville, and have for a few years. Preferably one in British racing green w/ white pin stripes. I was shopping for one when my RT died and forced me to start looking for a #1 bike again instead of a 2nd bike play toy. I'll be back on the hunt later this year.

I test rode one of the last models that was carbureted ('09-'10ish) and it was fun. By no means did anything stand out as super impressive about it, but I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face for a week. I have yet to ride one of the newer fuel injected models, but I have read favorable reviews.

Actually......you know what really kills me......when I go to casually check the used inventory of my favorite local Triumph dealer and I find things like this for $2300

i-Hj7mbTf-XL.jpg

Actually......you know what really kills me......when I go to casually check the used inventory of my favorite local Triumph dealer and I find things like this for $2300

i-Hj7mbTf-XL.jpg

That's a lot of bike for $2,300.

Well, I had a Triple Triumph. Liked it a lot, but not all that comfortable. Good for a half hour ride but not much more.

Riding position was a little aggressive too.

I thinking Bonnie more than the T100 but I like the wheels and shock gaiters on on the 100. Bonnie has a better seat.

Time will tell.

Well, I had a Triple Triumph. Liked it a lot, but not all that comfortable. Good for a half hour ride but not much more.

Riding position was a little aggressive too.

I thinking Bonnie more than the T100 but I like the wheels and shock gaiters on on the 100. Bonnie has a better seat.

Time will tell.

I will bring my Tuono to Salida in the Spring and you can ride it around.

I have a Honda CB1300 to keep the RT company.

I would suggest that in a heartbeat but North America is the only market that never got it (officially imported even in Brazil) so may I suggest her wimpy sister, the CB1100F?

Not as well put together and much slower than the Super Four but if you like old-fashioned bikes you may find it of your liking.

Plus is a Honda, so dealers are everywhere and you know the fuel pump connector won't crack. :rofl:

I thinking Bonnie more than the T100 but I like the wheels and shock gaiters on on the 100.

The reviewers at RideApart have been quite adamant, over and over, that the 19" wire wheel on the T100 ruins the handling, compared the 17" cast wheel on the base and SE models. But the wire wheels sure do look a lot better.

First I’ll say I do like modern Triumphs as I’ve owned 2 triples and rode them over a period of 8 years. I've been fortunate to ride a vintage Bonneville in the past when it was current and the new ones on test rides. A few of my impressions on the new Bonneville’s as follows. Not a bad bike, but not really as nice as the original on weight and performance. The new ones are noticeably more top heavy and not really very quick either(takes awhile to just get up to 70mph). I had considered one myself at one time to replace my old Moto Guzzi LeMans, but the 86’ LeMans whoops it on about all fronts except smoothness. The Thruxton motor IMHO should be in all Bonneville derivatives. If it was I might own a Scrambler myself. The modern Triumphs that actually are modern day equivalents of the old Bonneville platform is the Speed Triple and Street Triple models. Quick, maneuverable, easy to handle! :thumbsup:

On my 955i Speed Triple, some Racetech front springs made a big difference for a very reasonable price. After installation the front end at least tried to glide over bumps. Everyone fits a bike different. For me the Speed Triple's handlebars were perfect for most of my riding. The foot pegs were cramped for my 5'10" height. Also suspension damping adjustments were very sensitive when approaching the closest you could get to a sweet spot. I'm talking a 1/16th to 1/8th turn on the adjusters. Best curvy road bike I've ever owned and I could ride some distance, but luggage was a challenge.

I'm now riding my BMW because it's about a half magnitude less in the twisties, but a full magnitude more for utility and high speed composure.

;)

Archived