IGNORED

2013 RT gps power lead

walton66

How many amps are available at the GPS connector before it shuts off? I would like to use the connector for charging an iphone or ipad in my tankbag. thank you, Merry Christmas

Bill

Since you are not getting much response, I'll chime in until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

The GPS socket is on the same 10A circuit as your other accessory socket(s). Its wiring is probably heavy enough to charge a phone OR an Ipad, though probably nothing else. You will need a "repair plug" to match the harness connector, I think it is part 06 83 30 0 413 585 REPAIR PLUG, 3-PIN, about $21.00. Verify this with your dealer before ordering. You will also need some sort of converter from the supplied 12V to 5V with, I presume,a USB socket.

If you do not absolutely require a switched outlet, there are many other options for direct to battery connection..

Try Ebay for some cheaper options. Some of these claim more power output for multiple devices and a standard 12V socket.

Thanks, I have my front accessory socket replaced with one from powerlet wired to the battery to facilitate battery maintenance and have moved the rear one to a switched connection from a fuse block. What I plan is to use the factory connector to facilitate a connection to my tank bag for charging my phone and perhaps my iPad mini.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Bill

Not sure if this will help or not.

My riding buddy, who isn't on here often, is building up a system to charge and use an Android phone as his GPS and phone while riding. He had to source a special cable that will allow for sufficient current to prevent discharging.....while charging and useage. I don't recall the people who make it though. Apparently, the total draw is greater than most USB adapters will provide.

Peter, I'd like to hear how that works out for your friend. I'm also using my smartphone(Galaxy S2) as a GPS and have the same power draw problem.

The GPS, Bluetooth, MP3 player and constant screen display gradually deplete the battery and the entire phone gets quite warm. After five or six hours the battery is so low that the phone turns off when the charger is unplugged. I'm using an adapter that claims 2.1A output instead of the usual 0.5A. I wonder if even higher current capacity could damage the phone or battery.

For now, I get by with a simple route list on my tank bag and reserve the GPS for voice directions in congested urban areas.

Larry, if your converter is actually capable of 2.1 amps at 5 volts then the problem is in the USB cable itself.

There are two factors determining max charging rate which you need have to ensure continuous operation without draining the battery at the same time.

1) For max charging, you need at least 1 amp capacity of your 5 volt source. Many USB power adapters only put out .5 amp, so checking the spec on the converter is important

2) Most USB cables are engineered to operate as both a data and power conductor. Using this type of cable, the phone thinks its connected to a data source and will only charge at .5 volt even though your converter is capable of more. You should purchase a dedicated charging USB cable which Peter mentioned.

Googling a bit yesterday brought up numerous hits on USB charging cables, and additional uncertainty.

Some say a charging cable just needs the data wires shorted on the device end. This is an easy DIY hack. (Then why don't the dedicated chargers just short the data pins internally?)

Some say the data wires need to be shorted AND connected via resistors (value varying by device) to +5V.

I've some extra cables, maybe I'll experiment a little.

The Red Band cable looks pretty good, I like the right angle connectors.

I think what I would really like is a simple adapter that could plug into my existing cables to provide fast, charge only functionality. Or maybe a cable with a switch.

Archived