IGNORED

Tire Plug vs. New Tire

Nathan Margolis

Nathan Margolis

Doing a quick search on this Forum- did not see this addressed but sure it is somewhere as there are lots of opinion.

I know all the tire manufacturers recommend a new tire and most shops will not plug. Tire manufacturers want to sell more tire and have been told my motorcycle repair shops that insurance prohibits them from doing but insurance companies objectives is not having the insured take any chances.

My personal opinion is if the tire has lots of rubber left, it is a simple flat (nail in or around the center of the tire), and not a slice from glass- plug and go.

All the nay sayers have never been able to tell me a story of a catrostrophic event from a plugged tire with the exception a plug will pull out on occasion. When this occurs, it is not like a blowout, but a slow leak that will be noticable.

Clearly, I would not plug on a sport or track bike where you are running constant speeds in excess of 100 plus MPH but for most BMW riders, I feel plugging is an OK practice. Calculated risk? Maybe so but one that I will take.

Thoughts or stories that would change my mind or in agreements.

Thanks,

Nathan Margolis

2013 BMW R1200RT

2004 BMW R1100S

1973 Triumph 750 Tiger

My standard answer is... if you have a near-new tire with a clean puncture then yes, it is extremely dangerous and you risk turning into a mushroom cloud if you attempt a repair. Send it to me for proper disposal.

My standard answer is... if you have a near-new tire with a clean puncture then yes, it is extremely dangerous and you risk turning into a mushroom cloud if you attempt a repair. Send it to me for proper disposal.

That smiller guy is a fraud. I'm the true and only one that these tires should be sent to with PR3 or the new PR4 the preferred models.

Doing a quick search on this Forum- did not see this addressed but sure it is somewhere as there are lots of opinion.

I know all the tire manufacturers recommend a new tire and most shops will not plug. Tire manufacturers want to sell more tire and have been told my motorcycle repair shops that insurance prohibits them from doing but insurance companies objectives is not having the insured take any chances.

TRUE

My personal opinion is if the tire has lots of rubber left, it is a simple flat (nail in or around the center of the tire), and not a slice from glass- plug and go.

Your opinion is shared by many others

All the nay sayers have never been able to tell me a story of a catrostrophic event from a plugged tire with the exception a plug will pull out on occasion. When this occurs, it is not like a blowout, but a slow leak that will be noticable.

Clearly, I would not plug on a sport or track bike where you are running constant speeds in excess of 100 plus MPH but for most BMW riders, I feel plugging is an OK practice. Calculated risk? Maybe so but one that I will take.

Good Thinking!

Thoughts or stories that would change my mind or in agreements.

A Patch-Plug is the best and safest repair,requires dismounting the tire.

I have used the"gooey string/rope" type repairs available at any autoparts store or auto section of any big box store,with good effect on both MC and car tires,never had any leak issues and ran all the tires to end of useful life.

Thanks,

Nathan Margolis

2013 BMW R1200RT

2004 BMW R1100S

1973 Triumph 750 Tiger

JR3565

This year I had the distinction being a "nail magnet" and getting three flats (all rear) in almost as many months - ~ 1,200 miles on the first tire to the flat, 150 miles on the second tire to it's flat. and about 500 miles on the third to it's flat.

Bought replacement tires for the 1st and 2nd flats.

Two of the three were punctures in pretty much the center of the tread, while the third was offset, and actually had two punctures.

Took the two best of the three to local auto tire store that I've supported for about a decade with multiple full sets of tires for multiple vehicles, and two boxes of donuts got an inside plug / patch (at least 3" in diameter) applied.

The worst of the three wasn't worth it to me due to the proximity to the sidewall.

Now running the 150 mile patch job on my 2003 R1150RS, and have a 500 mile patch job sitting in the rafters.

"Doing a quick search on this Forum- did not see this addressed but sure it is somewhere as there are lots of opinion."

I'd wager there are 1000 posts wrt this topic.

I'm on my second plugged tire as of yesterday afternoon. The first one I plugged was a PR2 with about 5000 miles on it. Rode it with the plug for another 3000. Yesterday I plugged my Shinko 705 that only has 1800 miles. Only have a couple hundred on that plug so far.

IMHO a plug is fine. I use the gooey stick kind and haven't had an issue as of yet. Make sure you use the cleaning/boring tool and get a good clean round hole before putting the plug piece in. Other than than ride on and have fun.

I have used these several times (http://www.craftyplugger.com/). Normally I get punctures near the end of the tyre life (makes sense I guess with less rubber to penetrate) so normally I just replace fairly quickly. I did however puncture one almost brand new with a bloody great philips screw... Promptly forgot I had repaired it and did over 10,000 miles on it, quite a bit of that done above 80MPH and a little above 100MPH (not recommended obviously!).

One thing to note, I always get the GT version of tyres and in my experience these have pretty good run flat characteristics. I once punctured my front and did not realise it was flat for about 100 miles (basically when I left the motorway)... Due to this I don't feel plugging is much of a risk...

I've plugged well over a dozen times with thousands of miles on the REAR tires and never had an issue. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Strange though, that it is almost ALWAYS the rear tire. I wonder why?? Someone told me that the front tire will "flip up" a nail on it's side lining up the rear tire for a hit. I don't know if that's true or not.

BTW...I don't think I'll plug the FRONT tire. It's easier to control a deflated rear tire vs. a front tire.

I've done both front and rear. Never had a problem.

Except once on the Concours, I managed to get some curved piece of metal wedged in my rear tire and it put a quarter inch gash all the way through. Fortunately TPMS warned me about the pressure loss and I was able to monitor the situation until I got to the next town, on 10 psi.

Even a double plug didn't hold, and it was a Friday evening. I had to get a very expensive tow back home.

• 1 month later...
I have used these several times (http://www.craftyplugger.com/). Normally I get punctures near the end of the tyre life (makes sense I guess with less rubber to penetrate) so normally I just replace fairly quickly. I did however puncture one almost brand new with a bloody great philips screw... Promptly forgot I had repaired it and did over 10,000 miles on it, quite a bit of that done above 80MPH and a little above 100MPH (not recommended obviously!).

One thing to note, I always get the GT version of tyres and in my experience these have pretty good run flat characteristics. I once punctured my front and did not realise it was flat for about 100 miles (basically when I left the motorway)... Due to this I don't feel plugging is much of a risk...

The Crafty Plugger looks a lot like the Nealey kit available in the states: http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm

My personal opinion (yes, I know, opinions are like armpits. Most people have a couple, and they usually stink...), is that if you are so risk averse, as to not trust a little rubbery bit to keep the air in your tire, then why are you riding a motorcycle at all? A car is a WAY safer option, and should really make you feel better about life.....

I check the air pressure in my tires before every ride, and daily if on a road trip. Unless I hit something that immediately flattens the tire I'll catch an overnight leak pretty quickly.

I have plugged both front and rear tires with no problem.

If it's close enough to the edge of the main tread body that I am concerned the sidewall is weakened or that the plys will "saw" the plug I replace the tire.

However, I'll plug it if the puncture is at centerline of the tire body or within an inch to inch and a half off of center on either side -- but as a judgement call based on the severity of the puncture, tread left for tire life, etc.

It's an inexact science.

And as someone else said, you indeed have to accommodate your personal sense of comfort.

I experienced a flat rear tire (Kawi Mean Streak) while on the Dempster Highway (Yukon), I used a can of tire seal that held for a couple of days before it started to leak. I plugged the tire with the sticky rope stuff and rode for about a week before the plug started leaking. After plugging it about 3 more times (it kept leaking) I was finally able to get the well worn tire replaced in Haines, Alaska. The hole was triangular shaped from the rock puncture and no doubt difficult to seal. I have had to plug several tires since, in fact I only just replaced the first rear tire I wore out without needing a plug. So far I haven't had a front tire issue.

Rick

2012 R1200RT

Archived