IGNORED

Max BMW R90S build

rich t

Max BMW has been doing an r90s build by ordering from their parts fiche. When done, they will put together a condensed video. For now, they are doing a live feed during business hours.

I've been following this on and off. Brings back fond memories of wrenching the old airhead. They won't answer the question of how much all the parts cost, but it's still cool to know that you could build an r90s from the parts fiche if you were so inclined.

http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/max_bmw_r90s_build/

Max BMW has been doing an r90s build by ordering from their parts fiche.

They won't answer the question of how much all the parts cost,

http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/max_bmw_r90s_build/

Just a guess here but wouldn't doubt it would cost you or me a hundred grand to do the same thing. :eek:

Second Wind BMW Triumph Owner, Darrell Faulkenberry is doing something similar but different. :) He more or less resurrects them from the dead.

http://undeadmoto.tumblr.com/

Pat

Cool link. Thanks. Yeah, I'm sure that the price of parts would just lead one to buy something more modern.

Buying an intact bike that needs tlc is really the way to go.

As I understand they are doing it with all new parts BMW has manufactured, not NOS.

Probably just slightly more costly than the R90S sold for new. :Cool:

I just spent the last twenty minutes looking at this picture. The non mechanical part of me is impressed that someone could take all those bits and make a very nice, running, stopping motorcycle.

The not very self-aware part of me, on the other hand says, dude - that doesn't look like too much of a puzzle; I bet we could put that together. (It helps that the transmission appears to be there as a unit already.)

I can't find petcocks or fuel line - I suppose the petcocks might already be on the tank, but it seems unlikely since nothing else appears to be on the tank. I'm really not that mechanically adept and engine and transmission internals to me are like magic. What do smarter people notice to be missing?

full-exploded-2K.jpg

It looks like by day three, they were working the same way I do: doing the same things over and over again until I get them right. :)

Or maybe it's just a problem with the site showing the same photos.

I did something like this in 98 starting with an old r90/6 as a donor, using what I could, acquiring what I didn't have or didn't want to use. I paid for engine and transmission work, powder coating,and paint. The result was a double encrypted, password protected quicken file, to hide the costs but it came out pretty cool, was fun and I learned a lot in the process, like stainless screws twist off easier.

I had a 78, and didn't have trouble getting parts for it. There may be some esoteric gutsy transmission parts that may be out of production, but the general parts that break are all available.

BMW Motor Tradition is pretty good at keeping the parts available.

I did notice that the build did not include transmission or short block assembly.

The body parts were scarce 5 years ago from the Fatherland.

Some were unobtainable then, but, I believe BMW still has the capacity to produce "new" parts.

Some were unobtainable then, but, I believe BMW still has the capacity to produce "new" parts.

If it's like Moto Guzzi, any part is available outside of official channels. ;)

Maybe, but our service manager had an R90 S and bought the "last"

available X (body part) years ago from BMW (according to them).

Now somewhere there is a bloke sitting on a "new" or NOS part

that might be purcha$ed...

They won't answer the question of how much all the parts cost,

Eons ago (early/mid 70's), when I was with Cycle World, I wanted to do a story about what a motorcycle costs, piece by piece. It wasn't an assigned story, but one of those ideas you tackle on the side, and then present to the publisher to see if he will greenlight it. I selected a Honda CB360, which had an MSRP of something like $969. I had looked up everything but the controls (tank, seat, headlight, handlebars, turn signals, footpegs, levers, cables, etc.) and was at more than $8000 when I decided to stop. No good could come from a story like that unless it was for a business class trying to show what the costs of ordering, handling, warehousing, picking, packing and shipping did to the retail price of individual componentry vs. assembled goods. Parts can be pricey to produce, but they aren't all that expensive when compared to what it takes to eventually get them into your hands.

BMW Mobile Tradition

It looks like by day three, they were working the same way I do: doing the same things over and over again until I get them right. :)

Or maybe it's just a problem with the site showing the same photos.

I went to BMW tech school in Jan '77. When we walked in on Monday morning there was a /7 rolling chassis on a lift. Frame, forks, shocks, & wheels. Nothing else. As we went through our training, in the same room, one tech proceeded to put the bike together. Wiring harness, everything. Mind you, this was separate from our class, & nothing was said about it. The only help he had was putting the engine in place.

He started & test rode it on Tue. afternoon.

Let's just say that BMW really is producing all of those parts. Due to emissions regulations, BMW could not sell complete /6 bikes, but they could sell kits to build the bikes.

I would be willing to pay an imprudent amount of money for the parts to build a new R75/6.

Bob

From the finished video, there were 6 parts that were no longer available. Motometer is no longer in business, the rear swing arm was used and a couple other minor parts.

Total bill was north of $46k! Can you say Bring More Wallet?

This is a lesson to be sure to get the 'runningest' bike you can find when looking classic or vintage, but don't fret the broken stuff too much. Enough money can replace just about anything on these old beauties.

Archived