IGNORED

Columbia River Gorge

mistral

I am planning a trip from Texas to the west coast. NM,CO, ID to Oregon hit Crater lake and take 199 down to Crescent City, CA. Up the Oregon coast and do the Columbia River Gorge ( should I stay on the north side of the river for the best ride)? After that Lolo pass, Yellowstone, Tetons, and I hope to work in Bear tooth Pass.

Thanks,

Ron

Can't speak about the entire Gorge area but I highly recommend doing the south side out of Portland for awhile. Cool little towns, waterfalls and rain forest foliage . Beautiful area for sure.

Note: A ride out to the coast from Portland to Astoria is also very nice.

Sounds like a great trip, I am writing on my fathers account, I live in Vancouver and we have rode through all of the places you plan on going. Hwy 12 (lolo Pass) is one of our favorite rides. As far as the Gorge, I would stay on the north side, far less traffic and trucks. If you want to see Bonneville Dam or Multnomah Falls you can cross at Bridge of the Gods (50 cent steel grate toll bridge) If you have time I would recommend heading East out of Woodland on Hwy 503 to Cougar along the lakes then South to Carson , a great ride if you like a very technical road (gas in Woodland) plan on adding about 3 hours but well worth it. I would also recommend hwy 4 on the Washington side to head East from the coast, nice road with very little traffic.

Todd (Norms Son)

Make sure, as you approach (or leave) Portland, to get off of I-84 and check out the Historic Highway (30). It runs parallel to the interstate and was built as a scenic route for people from Portland to get out and enjoy the wild - or what was the wild when they started the project a hundred years ago.

It runs from Troutdale (just west of Portland) to the Dalles - about an hour from Troutdale on the interstate or maybe a couple of hours on the highway.

It's tiny, often crowded in the summer, and completely worth it. Goes right by all the falls mentioned above.

If you're on the north side of the river, you can also get off the main Highway (14) and look for Washougal River Rd - a local favorite that goes through the farmlands up above the gorge.

I'd also recommend a crossing of the Bridge of the Gods between Stevenson WA and Cascade Locks OR.

Have fun googling!

josh

Assume this is a summer trip, if so you should stop in Hood River (on the south side of the Columbia) and catch the windsurfers. If you're into photography and have the right lens you can get some of the most amazing shots...on a good day the surfers literally cover the river.

Assume this is a summer trip, if so you should stop in Hood River (on the south side of the Columbia) and catch the windsurfers. If you're into photography and have the right lens you can get some of the most amazing shots...on a good day the surfers literally cover the river.

Yeah I will look for the windsurfers I know all about the Gorge and windsurfing. I am a 20+ year windsurfer myself, awesome sport. We are going around labor day.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm? I believe I will be going against the current of opinion and recommend the north side. I 84 is scenic but you got a lot of traffic. Sure you can detour on OR 30 to hit some spots but after that... yawn. The north side has some great twisties going around Cape Horn area. Then some great sweepers and curves for the rest of the route. There's also some incredible side trips - Wind River and Goldendale hill. Lots of funky towns with some great road food too.

As a local my rule is I 84 if you're in a hurry, SR 14 if you want to relax and have fun.

Hmm? I believe I will be going against the current of opinion and recommend the north side. I 84 is scenic but you got a lot of traffic. Sure you can detour on OR 30 to hit some spots but after that... yawn. The north side has some great twisties going around Cape Horn area. Then some great sweepers and curves for the rest of the route. There's also some incredible side trips - Wind River and Goldendale hill. Lots of funky towns with some great road food too.

As a local my rule is I 84 if you're in a hurry, SR 14 if you want to relax and have fun.

:thumbsup:

JR356

Archived