IGNORED

Did you wonder how the Christmas trees got to the truck?

Bud

Woah! The pilot is most likely whistling some obscure tune and tapping his foot on the rudder pedals during this.

Skill for sure but you do have to wonder what the back up plan is when, not if, something goes awry. Most likely culprit would be a pickle switch malfunction I would guess. Sudden power failure could be mitigated unless it occurred just at the extremes of his maneuvering envelope.

Dave McReynolds

By the time you pay the grower, the tree cutter, the helicopter, the truckers, and the guys at the Christmas tree lot, it amazes me that there is enough profit in that business to go around.

in this video you can see a second heli...

two working in rotation, back and forth.

running two helis possibly cost a shitloads of money, it is quick, but makes you wonder... from the cost effectiveness point of view using front end loaders and trucks would make more sense. I guess not.

In the discovery channel's "axe-man" series, the heli and the pilot died doing just that,--> areal tree harvesting.

Dave McReynolds

A few years ago, I met a new client for the first time who was a partner in a helicopter business. Before I could meet with him again, he had died in a helicopter logging accident. I don't know anything about helicopters other than sitting in the side door with my feet on the skids, but I would imagine, as Phil said, if something goes wrong when you have a helicopter on one end and a log on the other, there aren't a whole lot of good options.

Helicopters depend on way too many moving parts to keep them in the air, IMHO.

There's really only one part you need to worry about:

The Jesus nut.

Remember a helo squadron in the navy that had all 6 birds go high time for Jesus nuts since we couldn't get any from supply. We had to have a helo in the air in order to land aircraft underway, but all our birds were down for high time.

Their CO took the stick himself to allow the ship to run flight ops long enough to get our supplies in. I always thought that was a pretty cool and symbolic thing he did.

Helicopters depend on way too many moving parts to keep them in the air, IMHO.

My father-in-law was a Naval Aviator of the fixed wing variety. His thought on helicopters is that they don't really fly, they just beat the air into submission. :rofl:

Woah! The pilot is most likely whistling some obscure tune and tapping his foot on the rudder pedals during this.

Skill for sure but you do have to wonder what the back up plan is when, not if, something goes awry. Most likely culprit would be a pickle switch malfunction I would guess. Sudden power failure could be mitigated unless it occurred just at the extremes of his maneuvering envelope.

"Woah! The pilot is most likely whistling some obscure tune and tapping his foot on the anti-torque pedals during this.

Skill for sure but you do have to wonder what the back up plan is when, not if, something goes awry. Most likely culprit would be a pickle switch malfunction I would guess. Sudden power failure could be mitigated unless it occurred just at the extremes of his maneuvering envelope."

terminology correction

Joe Frickin' Friday

Apparently they spent all their money on it and the camera guy couldn't afford a tripod. That video made me dizzy!

Can't recall the exact phrase, but it was something like this

A helicopter is machine of 1000s of parts, all vibrating trying to set themselves free :)

last summer rode in a Huey; at first it was nerve wrecking , but got used to the vibes (about 4-5 repetitions/ every seconds), after about 10minutes into the flight.

I figured ... it did not shake it self apart in the first 10 minutes of our flight, it will hopefully make it to the rest of the flight :)

Can't recall the exact phrase, but it was something like this

A helicopter is machine of 1000s of parts, all vibrating trying to set themselves free :)

…or, 1000s of parts flying in close formation.

This is not all that dissimilar to Navy flight ops during resupply at sea, taking multiple loads between decks. The only reason this chopper moved faster than the Navy choppers was that they were running a lot heavier loads, and it took time to clear the deck between drops. However, they could get those drops moving pretty good. It always amazed me, since I as nose to rotor tips as Helicopter Control Officer in the tower.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I know that helicopters have ungodly operating costs - various sources claim the Bell Jet Ranger can operate for $500-$1000 per hour - but if you can move $1000 worth of trees in about a minute, then I guess maybe this makes economic sense. The alternative is to drive the truck around to each bundle (time = $$$$) - and even then you'd still need a crane ($$$$) to hoist the bundles up into the truck.

Harry_Wilshusen
I know that helicopters have ungodly operating costs - various sources claim the Bell Jet Ranger can operate for $500-$1000 per hour - but if you can move $1000 worth of trees in about a minute, then I guess maybe this makes economic sense. The alternative is to drive the truck around to each bundle (time = $$$$) - and even then you'd still need a crane ($$$$) to hoist the bundles up into the truck.

Not to mention getting the trucks to the bundles.If they had rain the day before it would need to be hard surface. Does it rain much in Oregon? :)

Archived