IGNORED

Can I load BMW's DVD Service Manual on Computer, or NOT?

Michael B

I'm waiting for a BMW dealer to send me a DVD Service Manual for my 2011 R1200 RT. Can I download the entire DVD onto my small laptop, or is it read only while in the computer's DVD slot? My little ASUS laptop has 2GB DDR3 RAM, 320 GB 5,400RPM drive, and Windows 8 for the tech in you.

The reason I ask is that my BMW dealer closed. With 30,500 miles I'm on my own for maintenance and looking at the 36,000 miler before too long. I've already got a GS-911 with software on my laptop, and would like to have the shop manual on the laptop as well for travel purposes. Thanks!

Michael,

I have done this. It takes several hours to copy. I don't think it's so much the size of data but the amount of files on the DVD because it covers many related bike models.

It's very handy having this on a laptop along with the GS-911 software.

Afternoon Micheal

Yes, you can simply copy the entire DVD to any convenient folder or drive on your computer just make sure you have enough room on that drive for it (the DVD content is a fairly large set of files). Be sure you get ALL the files copied.

Then find the RepRom.exe in that folder on your computer & make a shortcut on your desk top or (wherever) pointing to the RepRom.exe.

Then a simple click on that .exe shortcut will open the RepRom for usage.

A lot faster than using the DVD as it loads almost instantly.

Thanks guys for the good advice. Will download as DR instructed and hope to find the RepRom.exe file. Where will I most likely find it once downloaded? Will be very good to have the GS-911 and BMW DVD on the same computer.

By the way, DR, as a BMW motorcycle mechanic, do you use the GS-911 at work or a much more sophisticated BMW computer? Just curious.

If it is the same one I purchased for my 2012 then yes you can back it up on a folder on your laptop. Bad news is it is not compatible to Windows 8 or MAC unless they just recently updated the manual.

clip--Will download as DR instructed and hope to find the RepRom.exe file. Where will I most likely find it once downloaded? --clip

By the way, DR, as a BMW motorcycle mechanic, do you use the GS-911 at work or a much more sophisticated BMW computer? Just curious.

Morning Michael

Depending on how your operating system sees & handles the files & folders the (.exe) should be shown as "APPLICATION" under type & all mine have a little BMW roundel in a white square just prior to the name RepRom.

It should also be one the larger file sizes in the folder you load to.

On you GS-911 question-- I don't work for BMW as I work for a different brand motor company (so a GS-911 won't help me there) . My main interface with the vehicle electronics on the vehicle lines I do work with are proprietary interface programs on my laptop, or specific scan tools that directly interface with the vehicle systems being tested.

Just realized…6speedTi might have something. My new little laptop that I want to download the BMW DVD service manual on is brand new one and has the Windows 8 operating system. My new GS-911 works on it just fine.

So, is Windows 8 a problem with my new BMW DVD? I just assumed they would work together. Thanks again.

Copy the dvd to an "iso" file. This can be done with several software programs out there, I use "BurnAware Free". Download and install a program called "VirtualCloneDrive" or similar program. Now you can load the software by mounting (double clicking) the iso file. This comes in handy for any cd/dvd/blueray that you would like to backup and possibly play in your computer without the disk.

Been carrying all my shop manuals plus the GS-911 software on my netbook for years. Works well

Do expect a seriously slow copy process with a netbook ATOM processor.

Archived