IGNORED

Applying Touch Up Paint

Today I was looking at my RT and noticed how scuffed the side cases are. One touch today, one touch tomorrow and they are starting to look a bit tatty.

Also I have some nicely scuffed heel plates.

So maybe it's time to consider touching it up. :)

Finding the paint is no problem: I can get it from the same place I got the one I used on my Honda frame with excellent results.

The problem is applying it as not to make the bike look even tattier.

I have experience painting metal (hence I think I can do the heel plates no problem) but plastic is trickier business, especially with such a good finish as on the RT.

The choice is between spending big money to have it professionally resprayed or spend much much less and attempt to do it myself.

If I am given some good advice (as usual) I may attempt it and set aside a little extra money to contribute to the forum at the next fund raising. :grin:

Depending on how deep the "scuffed" areas are, you can improve it a lot with some good rubbing compound.

Rubbing compound has helped a lot on lesser scuffs but there are a number of areas that just require touching up now.

I am presently split between spray painting and brush painting. I have experience with both on metal parts but I am a little hesitant on plastic.

I also plan on applying clear coat (lacquer for the side cases and satin finish for the heel plates); it helped a lot to smooth the touch up on the Honda frame. Again I am a little split between brush and spray for the cases: any advice would be helpful.

I sprayed my RT cases myself with rattle can paint from a well known company.

The first trick is in the prep. If you have deep scratches, nicks etc., you have to have patience and sand them out.

The next trick is to resist laying on too much paint in the first coat and not being afraid to lay on a good up close final coat.

Wait 4/5 days before applying clear. Then polish.

If you don't like the finish, wet sand, spray clear, polish again...

Pretty darn good results if I should say so myself. I just wanted to see if I could do it.

...in the end....my time would have been spent doing something else and paying a pro to do it.....

It all depends on what your time is worth.....

Kakugo, I will give you some superb advice for next time :).

Put some paint protection film on the day you buy the machine. My paintwork is still great after two nasty scrunches.

Kakugo, I will give you some superb advice for next time :).

Put some paint protection film on the day you buy the machine. My paintwork is still great after two nasty scrunches.

I remember trying applying that film to my VFR and ending up throwing everything in the garbage... I am not good at applying protective films. ;)

FLRider, thanks for the tips: these are just small scuffs so I don't need to repaint the whole case. I think I'll start from a small, inconspicuous scuff and work my way up from there.

And at 250-300€ for the two cases... it's well worth my time!

Archived