IGNORED

Air filter testing. Interesting article

philbytx

This is something the sportsbike community learned many years back but still refuses to accept.

I'll give one example: Ten Kate run for many years factory Honda's in both Super Sport and Super Bike. They run OE filters. The only concession to something more exotic was removing the mesh around RR series filters on very fast tracks such as Monza.

The OE air filter installed on the 1000RR is more than enough to flow all the air even a highly tuned engine with a large volume airbox needs. Remarkable.

On the other side I've seen more than one "performance" air filter getting a bit too thin at low mileage, which is bad news for durability because what good is an air filter with a gaping hole in it?

years ago when I was considering I contacted K&N and asked for dyno reports. The person I talked to spent 15 minutes telling me that not all dyno's are the same, this and that. I finally concluded it was a scam, and today even more so. Stock filters work just fine.

Thanks for the empirical data Phil! :thumbsup: That data substantiates what I've come to believe from my own experience over the years that K&N = good a bug screen!

Empirical, scmiricle... my seat-of-the-pants testing indicates at least a 10% increase in horsepower and on the last fillup I saw a 5 mpg improvement. The only bigger gain I've ever seen was when I put the Amsoil in. Why the auto manufacturers can't figure out how easy it is I'll never know.

None of this is surprising

When I used to run a filter test lab. AC sold the standard dirts everyone used for filter testing (called CAD and FAD from the Arizona proving ground) Its no surprise the make a great filter to anyone who has tested filters.

I wouldn't get excited about that minimal initial flow difference and would expect no impact in normal use. Of far more importance is the linear plugging rate rather than the more common J curve- if you change infrequently and operate in dirty conditions that matters.

No fan of K&Ns, little reusable stainless screns and other silly devices for any normal street use.

Joe Frickin' Friday
So can I still use K&N filter cleaner & oil on my foam dirt bike filters, or are they doomed as every other engine I've used them on?

If they're 2-strokes, then I suppose you won't ever have a problem with oil consumption. OTOH, whether 2- or 4-stroke, I wouldn't expect them to go 100,000 miles without a rebuild. But then, I don't think anyone ever exepcts that with dirt bikes.

Dirt bikes use foam filters because of the greater likelihood of water getting to the filter. A wet paper filter will not filter correctly and is prone to collapsing.

Dirt bikes use foam filters because of the greater likelihood of water getting to the filter. A wet paper filter will not filter correctly and is prone to collapsing.

Geez Ed. Anyone who has turned their dirt bike into a submarine knows that! :P

Okay, I'll admit it. I put a K&N filter in my truck a few months ago.

It has 156,000 odd miles on it & already uses oil between 5K changes, so I figured it couldn't hurt. I tend to stick my foot in the ole Five Three, so my reward is I like the added intake honk. :thumbsup:

Mileage? With my foot I'm just happy to hammer past the all to common Prius that's holding up the left lane. They can think they're saving the planet while I'm making time. :Cool:

The IBMWR site used to have a tech article regarding installation of K&N filters on a K-bike.

The testing showed zero difference in airflow between

No filter installed

Stock filter installed

Stock filter installed and half blocked off

K&N

The IBMWR site used to have a tech article regarding installation of K&N filters on a K-bike.

The testing showed zero difference in airflow between

No filter installed

Stock filter installed

Stock filter installed and half blocked off

K&N

Anybody have a link to this interesting sounding comparison test ?

Empirical, scmiricle... my seat-of-the-pants testing indicates at least a 10% increase in horsepower and on the last fillup I saw a 5 mpg improvement. The only bigger gain I've ever seen was when I put the Amsoil in. Why the auto manufacturers can't figure out how easy it is I'll never know.

But did you use Marvel Mystery Oil or the Lucas Oil Treatment?

W/O those I'm sure your engine will blow up next week due to that increase in HP. :wave:

Archived