IGNORED

Multiple Clutch Cable Failures, HELP!

Leo32

Hello again,

So i bought an 96 sienna red R1100RT 6ish months ago. It runs great and i love the bike. But, there seems to be a recurring problem.

The clutch cable has snapped at the lever handle 3 times.

The first time i just replaced it, thinking theres 60k miles on the bike and its due for a new clutch cable.

The second time i noticed there was significant wear on the lever handle making the geometry for the lever not what it should be. So, i ordered a good used lever handle. (all parts were present when i changed out the lever handle. I referenced maxBMW part diagrams)While replacing the clutch cable i followed the manual very closely.

Just last night the clutch cable broke again...

All 3 times, it breaks off where the steel cable meets the steel bead that gets locked into the lever handle.

Is there some small step i am missing when i replace the cable? Is this a common problem? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Remove the lever and inspect the recess and groove where the cable Nipple sits.

This area may have been squashed therefore trapping the cable and not allowing it to articulate properly.

When installing a new cable, test fit it and make sure it moves freely in its housing on the lever and also the cable has freedom to move in the slot.

Also, apply grease to the housing and nipple (plus the first 20mm of the cable).

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Should have read what Andy said. Not in my normal timezone so, I'm not awake.

The cable barrel must freely rotate in the handle. If it doesn't, the cable bends at the barrel on each actuation. So, clean up the handle hole making sure there are no bits of raised metal and grease the barrel before installation into the greased handle hole and then, from time to time, make sure it still rotates.

It is probably due to the crimp. Does the crimp at the lever end of the cable have a hex shape? If so, you need to file off/round the sharp edges. If this is not done, the cable end fails to rotate when the clutch lever is depressed, and eventually the cable fails at the fitting.

Hi pmurphy

I doubt it would be the nipple on the cable. If these are OEM (ir even copies, they should have cylindrical barrels.

Filing is no the way to go because these should rotate about an axis within the lever and if it is filed it will have localised pressure points.

However, I have never seen a hex barrel for one of these bikes!

Also, make sure the cable is adjusted in the proper manner, i.e. set the knurled adjuster to the proper distance (12 mm maybe), then use the adjuster on the back of the transmission to set the slack. If you don't do it the proper way, you will be putting too much stress on the cable.

Hi pmurphy

I doubt it would be the nipple on the cable. If these are OEM (ir even copies, they should have cylindrical barrels.

Filing is no the way to go because these should rotate about an axis within the lever and if it is filed it will have localised pressure points.

However, I have never seen a hex barrel for one of these bikes!

This issue (hex shaped nipple) has appeared on some new Airhead clutch cables resulting in broken cables and the fix is to file until round.

Archived