IGNORED

Rear visability--can you see me now?

BeemerBerg

While riding home the other night, wife was riding sweep (on her CanAm Spyder), she comments that the rear view of my RT was not very visable--the taillight does not seems sufficient to get one's attention.

I need to stand out more...suggestions? Yea, I need to get EffBees reflective reflective kit for the saddlebags (ordered). Any suggestions for lights?

Thanks

I've installed Hyperlites on all my RTs I've had.

Most recently I got a three-way kit: brake lights, red running lights and yellow turn signals in one unit. Very bright!

Hyperlites.com

My first step toward solving the same problem on my R1100RT was a license plate frame that was ringed with LEDs. It had both tail and stoplight functions.

Back Off

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The plate reflection washes the photo out but, 3M silver/white strips with a strip of red reflective pinstripe tape through the middle. In progress photo shows the red tape still on the topcase.

I was going to buy the BMW brake light but the dealer recommended against it due to problems they were having with them.

8b516000-0e87-4770-86b6-1a2274fa2d22_zpsbdf0dec3.jpg

I have used Skeen LED lights on my last two RT's. They work very well and are very conspicuous. Also a fairly straight forward install.

http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/

Doug

I just installed a set as well, and am extremely pleased. The "conspicuity flicker" is a bit much IMHO, but it was easy to disable -- 10 quick pumos of the brake immediately following key-on, and the LEDs burn stead when operating as a straight tail / running lights. All other functions (brake pulse, directionals, etc.) work as intended. I recommend getting the P3-TS set-up, which includes turn signal capability, and I too added the 3M reflective kit to my side bags awhile ago. Up front I have Clearwater Glendas, and I also recently installed a PIAA compact sports horn... which has a pretty burly sound, to say the least. Good luck in your conspicuity efforts -- it's a very worthwhile investment.

Skene P3s are excellent. Bright, plus they flicker--which equals conspicuity.

After following a rider with a Skene on the rear of his bike, I think the conspicuity provided by the flicker is distracting enough to following vehicles to be considered detrimental. Another rider used the term "target fixation" in regard to it. Otherwise I like the Skene. It shows up bright even on a sunny day.

I agree that flickering lights are unnecessarily distracting to drivers. They are to me, as are strobing headlights either oncoming or behind me in my mirrors. Motorcycles aren't emergency vehicles. I can understand maybe having brake lights flicker 3 or 4 times when first applied, but I didn't want my Hyperlites set that way. Even that is a distraction, I think. My three running/brake lights are quite bright enough without blinding followers at night. One thing that annoys me greatly at night is to follow a fat SUV like an Escalade or Lexus with their absurdly huge banks of blinding LED tail lights that can burn your retinas in afterglow for minutes. What engineer designs those elephants -- but maybe it's a "stylist" who designs them, not an engineer.

Don't think the UK law allows white reflective on the rear of a vehicle, needs to be red.

I'm going to visit a local window tinting reflective vinyl company in the new year for some red for the rear of the panniers/saddlebags.

Don't think the UK law allows white reflective on the rear of a vehicle, needs to be red.

I'm going to visit a local window tinting reflective vinyl company in the new year for some red for the rear of the panniers/saddlebags.

This is true - but I have had a set of Fernando's black-finish white reflective film on the back of my R1150RT for about eight years now without any issue - including having police cars directly behind me at night. I only have the reflectors on the luggage, not the bike so may have a defence,though probably not.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Have been wanting more light on the rear, both tail and brake/turn. Been looking at options, not a big rush right now as I won't be riding it for a couple months.

On a recent trip (pickup) I stopped at one of the big truck stops along the freeway for gas, etc. Happened to walk by the big rig accessory light display. I've noticed that the small round or oval LED lights on the back of big rigs are pretty bright - I understand the lens focus's the light directionally to make a small LED light look so bright. I'm sort of thinking about putting small red and yellow LED's on the rear of the inside part of the side cases. They're quite inexpensive and the right ones wouldn't be difficult to mount and wire. (Retired now, gotta watch the pennies!)

... I'm sort of thinking about putting small red and yellow LED's on the rear of the inside part of the side cases. They're quite inexpensive and the right ones wouldn't be difficult to mount and wire. (Retired now, gotta watch the pennies!)

I'd only mount red running lights in the rear. Yellow running lights in the rear could be confusing at night -- red running indicates rear, yellow running means side or front. Some states prohibit yellow rear running lights. Use yellow for turn signals. I've been surprised to see many car stylists lately have moved from yellow rear turn signals to red. I think distinct yellow signals are much more effective.

• 5 weeks later...

I've got the BMW motors LED taillight under my license plate on my RT and it works very well. It strobes upon brake application and then remains on high while brakes are on. Running light under normal conditions.

I've got hyperlites on the GSA next to the license plate. I like both and am impressed with alot of the others listed. Any time you can make yourself more conspicuous it is a good thing.

The MotoEquip items are cut from ScotchLite which is very good but 3M DiamondPlate is far brighter and is the best stuff to use for accent stripes, etc. Google it..

The Skene P3 are both brighter and larger in appearance than Hyperlites- both have good service.

The BMW Accessory Taillight works fie as long as you never get soap near it. If you do, water will wick into it and kill the internal board. But its got the usual 2 yr warranty.

My RT and GT have either Hyperlites or Skene P3 plus the BMW accessory tailight.

The ultimate in tail end brightness are the Whelen TIR3 or LIN3- they're actually emergency vehicle warning lights. Soe folks who install them put in a disconnect so they don't piss off folks on group rides..

• 1 month later...
The reflective tape from Fernando is great.

I have had these on my 07 RT for over 7 years and everyone tells me how conspicuous I am at night. Get them. It can make all the difference.

Archived