IGNORED

At 5'8"....looking at a GSA

Rapala 50

I have been thinking about purchasing another bike ( GS or GSA ) and would like some input from those who ride one that have the same build as me...5'8" 170lb

At 5'8" on a tall day I have no problem riding a GS. A GSA would have me thinking a bit more about getting a foot down on solid ground but I still want one. ;) Fun fun bikes! :thumbsup:

Pat

At 5'8" on a tall day I have no problem riding a GS. A GSA would have me thinking a bit more about getting a foot down on solid ground but I still want one. ;) Fun fun bikes! :thumbsup:

Pat

I didn't know you could stack "firefighter" that high...

:wave:

Allow me to offer a dissenting opinion.

I have a lowered GS, and I would prefer to drop it another inch. As is, no problem if the surface is flat. However, attempting to plant my feet on a rutted dirt road can be problematic.

These days, I'm 5'8".

Bob

On a GSA, Keep the gas tank full! The huge tank actually puts more weight on the springs/shocks and "lowers" the bike. I have been told this by an owner- whether true or not may be urban legend! :P

With the low seat on the new GSW it was very manageable with my 30 inch inseam. I would not;however, enjoy riding a GSA in traffic or in some off-road situations. There are effective ways of lowering a GSA though, it's just a question of how much you value the extras the GSA offers, including great range.

I am 5'8" and 165 pounds, for reference. Currently writing an article on how to "lower" a bike without touching the suspension. Low seats, footpeg relocation, and so on. So far, the results are good, but naturally, a lower suspension would go a LONG way toward being able to truly flatfoot at a stop. My article is geared toward those who don't have the money or resources for lowered suspension.

-MKL

Check out this site. It will give you a pretty accurate depiction of how you'll fit on most every bike (both in the seat and with a foot down), given your dimensions.

www.cycle-ergo.com

I would think part of your decision should be based on the intended use. While you might be able to get your feet down or even flat foot, that does not equal stability. If the bike's height means your feet do not have much of a spread, keeping your balance/feeling comfortable will be compromised compared to a bike where you can form a good support base with your legs spread enough to give you good leverage.

The bigger issue comes into play if you intend to ride the bike off road. Under those conditions, if you need to put a foot down on an uneven surface you are going to have trouble keeping the bike and yourself upright.

I would think part of your decision should be based on the intended use. While you might be able to get your feet down or even flat foot, that does not equal stability. If the bike's height means your feet do not have much of a spread, keeping your balance/feeling comfortable will be compromised compared to a bike where you can form a good support base with your legs spread enough to give you good leverage.

The bigger issue comes into play if you intend to ride the bike off road. Under those conditions, if you need to put a foot down on an uneven surface you are going to have trouble keeping the bike and yourself upright.

What he said!

Are you riding solo, or two up? Are you packing lots of gear too?

I'm 5'11" and found the GSA to be quite a handful on uneven ground when riding two-up--with or without gear. (Think Colorado.) Honestly, for me it would be a handful riding solo with gear. Fully loaded, I couldn't quite flat-foot it.

My regular ride is an R1100RT. While it's a bit heavy, I haven't had the 'issues' that I had with the GSA. For me, having the tank full on the GSA did not make it feel easier to handle.

Miraculously, when moving at greater than idle speeds, the weight seemed more of a non-issue. I really enjoyed everything else about it!

I reason for wanting a GS or GSA is mostly for a commuter back and forth to work and once in a great while off pavement short cut. Not really looking to do any 2-up riding, plan on keeping the RT for that. I do travel a little bit around the New England states and find myself avoiding some of the remote areas because of gravel roads when on the RT. I use to ride dirt bike's and enduro's way back when and the GS has been tempting the hell out of me ( mid-life issue ???? ).....

I'm not sure the GS or GSA would make a better bike than your RT for commuting, probably not as good since the weather protection of the RT is far superior. Now if you are using that as a reason to get another bike I completely understand. :thumbsup:

Riding dirt and enduros way back is likely very different than riding a GS or GSA. They are big heavy bikes very different than what you rode in the past. I do understand your desire to ride some gravel/dirt but that need might be better met with a much smaller bike. If you wanted to stay with BMWs one of the F or G bikes might fit the bill. Those would make good commuters while being much easier to handle off road.

My situation is that I have never sat on a bike where I couldn't put my feet flat on the ground.

My opinion is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with high heels on a bike.

dc

untitled_zps1e76b79b.jpg

Or try a 1200R. Most under-rated bike in the range. My local dealer has run a succession of them as courtesy bikes - & has sold quite a few to riders who would never have tried it otherwise, but realise how good it was. If only Charley & Euan had ridden 1200R's.

Or try a 1200R. Most under-rated bike in the range. My local dealer has run a succession of them as courtesy bikes - & has sold quite a few to riders who would never have tried it otherwise, but realise how good it was. If only Charley & Euan had ridden 1200R's.

Agreed. I got an 1150R as a loaner one day while my fuel strip was being replaced and it was a blast to ride. When I turned it in and got back on the RT it felt like I had gone from a Corvette to a Cadillac.

Getting back to basics isn't always a bad thing.

JayJay

ABSOLUTELY good advice!

My buddy Matt (5'8") just traded in his first bike, a 2005 F650CS, for this gorgeous 90th Anniversary R1200R.

r1200r-mainpic.jpg

He's busy farkling the hell out of it. It can be ANYTHING you want it to be. Canyon carver? Check. Long distance comfort? Check. Short trips? Check. So versatile! So light, so fast, and so surefooted. The RT is a pig compared to this bike and most of the time, all that weather protection isn't necessary.

I often dream of unloading the RT and getting something far more basic, like Matt's bike. It's all you need, and in this case often less is more.

-MKL

Put a shine on those bags ^ and add this faring and you may just see me in the classified section. That is a nice looking bike! :thumbsup:

101978439llg5.jpg

Pat

Archived