IGNORED

Odyssey battery for GS Adventure

johnlt

John,

If you search around there are some instructions for fitting the Odyssey. Question for you, what is the charging voltage of your motorcycle? The Odyssey batteries need about 14.5 volts.

RB

Hello John.

Your friend will need the Odyssey PC535 and even then it will need a bit of fiddling. Nothing drastic but not as straight forward as fitting a PC680 to an RT.

I have a friend who fit a PC535 to his (regular) GS in 2009 and it's still going strong despite long periods of inactivity and minimal maintenance with a trickle charger.

John,

If you search around there are some instructions for fitting the Odyssey. Question for you, what is the charging voltage of your motorcycle? The Odyssey batteries need about 14.5 volts.

RB

Morning Roger

What battery temperature is that 14.5v charging figured at.

14.5v seems a bit high for a (ridden vehicle) charging rate as the battery is mounted just above the engine so battery would probably be well above 150°f for long periods of ridden vehicle charging.

We have been using the Odyssey in the 1200RT's & 1200 GS/GSA's since 2006 or so with some going on 6+ years now & no signs of problems.

Morning John

As rule we use the PC 680 in the 1200 RT & use the PC 535 in the 1200 GS/GSA.

As Kakugo pointed out the 535 is not a drop in but will fit & seems to be a very good long term choice for the 1200GS/GSA.

I personally know of an early 05 GS that had the 535 installed before a trip to Alaska in early 06 & that bike just went over 160,000 miles this summer & that same Odyssey 535 is still going strong.

John,

RB

Morning Roger

What battery temperature is that 14.5v charging figured at.

14.5v seems a bit high for a (ridden vehicle) charging rate as the battery is mounted just above the engine so battery would probably be well above 150°f for long periods of ridden vehicle charging.

We have been using the Odyssey in the 1200RT's & 1200 GS/GSA's since 2006 or so with some going on 6+ years now & no signs of problems.

Hi DR,

You raise a good question. Below is from the Odyssey Technical Manual which can be found here: The charging starts on page 1

Here are a few data points from the temperature compensation graph they supply. Note their instructions that float below 13.2 volts causing corrosion of the plates. This is where my battery tender jr. held my PC680 in maintenance mode.

Trickle charge voltage: 0C: 14.4V, 20C: 13.8V, 40C: 13.4C

Charging voltage: 0C: 15.5V, 20C: 14.8V, 70C (160F): 14.1V

Since Odssey wants a high charging rate and voltage, having the voltage high when the bike starts and is cool seems important. In the data logs I have, at least some of the R1200s have charging voltages consistent with Odyssey's requirement, I just don't know which years.

RB

From the Odyssey Technical Manual, Page 17

Temperature compensation

Proper charging of all valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) batteries requires temperature compensation of the charge voltage – the higher the ambient temperature the lower the charge voltage. This is particularly true in float applications in which the batteries can stay on trickle charge for weeks or months at a time.

[Graph is here in the Techincal manual.]

The temperature compensation graphs for ODYSSEY® batteries in float and cyclic applications is shown for ambient (battery) temperatures ranging from -40°C (°F) to 80°C (176°F). The compensation coefficient is approximately +/-24mV per 12V battery per °C variation from 25°C (77°F). Since the charge voltage and ambient (battery) temperature are inversely related, the voltage must be reduced as the temperature rises; conversely, the charge voltage must be increased when the temperature drops.

Note, however, that the charge voltage should not be dropped below 13.2V as that will cause the battery grids to corrode faster, thereby shortening the battery life.

According to both the reply I got from Enersys and many hands on experiences it seems the Hexhead/Camhead charging system is enough to maintain an Odyssey battery in good shape. It's a tad stronger than the one installed on Oilhead so no fiddling with the charging system is requires to provide the needed voltage.

Personally I am very curious to see how the new RT-LC charging system will hold up to scrutiny... :grin:

Did the Odyssey install on my '09 GSA about a year ago. There are online installation demos if you search for them. It took a bit of fiddling and about a half hour to install mine. It's been working fine.

Archived