IGNORED

185 MPH You know it wasn't an RT

Bud

For you who have travelled 150 or so........Does that look like 180??.....Wouldn't the sign posts go by faster?.....Wasn't a Gopro wide angle as I know they make speed look faster than reality......

I'm more inclined to think his speedo reads in KPH.

Dunno..............

But the gear indicator shows 6 and he is at redline.

"The cycle, which according to the manufacturer tops out at 186 mph...."

Dunno..............

But the gear indicator shows 6 and he is at redline.

"The cycle, which according to the manufacturer tops out at 186 mph...."

Yeah..."Meebi so"....Didn't think to look at tach and gears.........Been somewhat over basic triple digits on RT and it seemed a whole lot faster than that...... :P

Early 90's I was riding a CBR600 and did almost 150 (way younger and WAY dumber) and it sure felt faster than what that video was showing. Biggest thing I remember was the pressure inside my helmet!

Chris

I agree.......The speedo was nowhere near redline at 180+, and acceleration tends to be somewhat less vigorous at such high speeds. I am thinking a 600cc sportbike, with a KPH speedo.

I agree.......The speedo was nowhere near redline at 180+, and acceleration tends to be somewhat less vigorous at such high speeds. I am thinking a 600cc sportbike, with a KPH speedo.

There is the problem I have, my speedo doesn't have a redline. :wave:

Definitely KPH.

Video was shot in the dark, making landmark references harder, but the speed differential between the bike and other vehicles, as well as stationary object, just doesn't indicate 180MPH.

I know some of my students do stuff like that and they think they are expert motorcycle riders. Some also do wheelies and stoppies while doing various poses on the bike. I once challenged them to follow me and we soon found out that they could not ride at slow speeds around a parking lot. Most had their feet down soon and often and I am not particularly good compared to most police motor officers. They had expected something else and tried to minimize their embarrassment with various excuses. One fell down and two almost did??? These are the same guys who do this speed stuff in traffic in public and then run from the police. I really support bike confiscations for this behaviour. Oh well, Darwin takes care of some of them, unfortunately they sometimes take others with them. To do this at night?? Crazy

There is the problem I have, my speedo doesn't have a redline. :wave:

Doh!.......The TACH was nowhere near redline when the SPEEDO was at 180+.

By the way, I have had my '02 RT up to higher speeds than this, on public roads......Though the road I was using was a lot less public........Hiway 50 in Nevada does not get a lot of traffic.

russell_bynum
Early 90's I was riding a CBR600 and did almost 150 (way younger and WAY dumber) and it sure felt faster than what that video was showing. Biggest thing I remember was the pressure inside my helmet!

Chris

When you're on the bike at speed, you've got your own panic making everything seem much faster than it really is.

When I was recording video of myself riding on the track, it was always depressing to see how slow the video looked compared to how fast it felt when I was on the bike.

This is from Streets of Willow on my '03 CBR600RR. Halfway decent laptime. Felt like Valentino Rossi. The video looks like it's playing in slow motion.

russell_bynum

That said...many sportbike guys go with lower gearing for better accelereation and depending on where the bike takes it's speedo reading, that might make it read higher than it is actually going.

russell_bynum
Fastest I've been is a little over 170 on a GSXR 750. Past 140 it all looks the same.

I remember actually being bored at 160mph. Track day at Cal Speedway in Fontana..the front "straight" is the banking on the NASCAR tri-oval. So...you come up out of the infield onto the banking, tuck in behind the fairing, and shift up through the gears as necessary with the throttle pinned. Then you just sit there and wait for the chicane so you can sit up and have some fun. It was interesting how that part of the track went from terrifying to boring in the course of the day.

Archived