IGNORED

2003 R1150RT Brake control circuit bleeding

Phil50

Many moons ago someone posted a BMW bulletin that advised a different and simpler sequence for bleeding the control circuits on the servo/abs unit for 2003/2004 R1150RTs from that shown in the maintenance manual.

I've searched to the best of my ability and can't find it. I wonder if anyone can point me to it please.

Many thanks

Phil

Morning Phil

The simpler I-ABS bleeding procedure is for the 1150 bikes with later Stahlflex brake lines. The main gain was the longer period on the Stahlflex between control circuit fluid flushes.

The thing is: for a do-it-yourselfer you ALREADY have the tank off for the wheel circuits so why would you NOT also do the control circuits?

If you really want the simpler bleeding procedure I can do the write up BUT it really isn't that much simpler or faster & is really meant for the dealership side to allow them to lower the service price slightly.

About all the simpler bleed procedure does is eliminate the crossover passages & once you have the gas tank off & the bleed equipment hooked up it only saves the do-it-yourselfer a couple of minutes & eliminates a couple of bleed fittings on the ABS controllers. (why shortcut the process unless you are charging $90.00 an hour?)

If bleeding it at home yourself you might as well do all the bleed fittings as it only takes a couple of minutes longer.

If you still want the crossover elimination let me know.

Morning D.R.,

I thought it might have been you that posted the notice about only having to use one of the bleed points rather than the 1,2,3 back to 1 procedure but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Are you saying that I might as well do all 3 points while I'm at it?

Cheers

Phil

PS I don't have the braided hoses so the longer intervals don't apply to me.

Morning Phil

Yes, for the added couple of minutes involved why not get as much of the old fluid out as possible. The big savings in that BMW bulletin was to not do the control circuits as often BUT you already have the tank off for the wheel circuits so it is kind of foolish to not also do the control circuits.

The MAIN point of that BMW bulletin is a DEALERSHIP time saver to allow a more competitive price on the brake service but most dealers just used that new service procedure to pocket more money & it didn't save the customer anything.

IABSbleedseq_zps615b2ec5.jpg

Hi D.R.,

Those pictures are exactly what I was thinking about when I started the thread. I'll make sure that I don't lose it again.

Many thanks

Phil

Archived