IGNORED

2013 Saphire Black R1200RT

bmwdavid

Has anyone seen this color in person and what do you think? I almost purchased a 2013 Midnight Blue at Max BMW this summer but got cold feet and now they don't have anymore in stock.

They are willing to honor the same deal on a Saphire Black and even install ASC to make it comparable to the Blue one we agreed on.

How do you think the black paint will hold up and will it be a nightmare to keep clean? Is it a nice metallic black?

I think the paint will hold up for the next 20-30 years if you take care of it. BMW N43 Black Sapphire metallic paint looks great as long as it is clean. Black can show swirl marks and dust a bit more.

I have exactly the same color as Moshe.

It's as hard to keep clean as any other paint scheme, with the added bonus the paint used by BMW is actually more durable than that used by, say, Kawasaki.

The paint is easily available for touch-up should you need it (same as used on a bunch of BMW cars) and is easy to polish to an as new condition with minimal effort. It easily rivals the best finishes Honda used to offer in quality, which is a big compliment.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the paint will hold up. As much as I would love to wait and buy the 2014 it is going to be $24-$25 before taxes. Don't think I should pass this deal up again. Besides the paint holding up, was the Black with darker trim everyone's last choice say compared to the midnight blue?

Also on another topic, what is your opinion on ASC? The dealer has agreed to retrofit it to the bike so why not get it but is it useful?

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the paint will hold up. As much as I would love to wait and buy the 2014 it is going to be $24-$25 before taxes. Don't think I should pass this deal up again. Besides the paint holding up, was the Black with darker trim everyone's last choice say compared to the midnight blue?

Also on another topic, what is your opinion on ASC? The dealer has agreed to retrofit it to the bike so why not get it but is it useful?

No, mine is black and silver because it was the last Hexhead the dealer had available hence it was take it or leave it. :grin:

Regarding ASC: given the tyres available today it's less crucial than Honda TCS was in 1992, when the hard-as-wood touring tyres then available made spinning tyres in the wet a very real possibility.

I only had it come on three times: twice because of gravel on the road and the third because of a combination of ham-fisted acceleration, worn tyres and bad road surface.

I consider it a bit like ABS: you may not "need" it but it's nice to know it's there. ;)

That's the one. Max is setting it up with BMW Nav, 49 liter black top box and throwing in 600 mile service. Guess I have to just do it and forget about the 2014. WC version. Does anyone know what paint code the black top box is? I assume it is not sapphire black but it must be a better match than the silver version.

You're talking about the 90th Anniversary Limited Edition. Get it! :thumbsup: Best looking paint / accent panels to date.

13r1200rt.jpg

Pat

Not at all a black fan but that one looks nice!

I love the look of black BMWs. My 1100RT was black, and it took more work to keep clean, but I loved the look.

I think the 12RT looks great in black.

What would it cost to have old-style white pinstriping? That would be the icing on the cake! :)

My 2006 325xiT is the same Sapphire Black Metallic. It's beautiful when it's freshly cleaned and polished. It gets dirty and grey-looking very quickly, but its clearcoat is still very durable after 7 years, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. BMW's non-metallic Jet Black paint is beautiful, too, but without clearcoat it's notoriously easy to scratch and dull.

Back in July I had a choice of SBM 90 Jahre or Midnight Blue for my new '13 RT. They're both beautiful, but I went for blue. If you're set on blue, I'd think that Max should be able to find one for you somewhere. Either way, don't worry about paint durability.

I hinted a couple times to the salesman at Max that I have been dealing with but didn't come right out and ask them to find me one. I assumed they wouldn't be able to give me as good of a deal on a bike they would have to get from another dealer. The Black is starting to grow on me, I should just do it and stop procrastinating.

Paul In Australia

I have the 90 th anniversary model and I love it more every time I look at it. People just walk up and say what a great looking bike and for some reason it seems to look "smaller" than in other colours. It does get dirty easily but they all do.

Buy it and love it.

If the dealer wants to put ASC on it let him. Even if you think you don't need it ( and most do eventually thank god they have it) it will increase resale value when sold.

I reckon the blue is no way as stylish

Regards

I hinted a couple times to the salesman at Max that I have been dealing with but didn't come right out and ask them to find me one. I assumed they wouldn't be able to give me as good of a deal on a bike they would have to get from another dealer. The Black is starting to grow on me, I should just do it and stop procrastinating.

You'll hopefully live with the bike for a long time to come. The RT is an expensive bike, but the good-deal will be a distant memory when you're out riding. It can't hurt to ask Max if they can find a blue for a similar deal. I'd say try to get the color and options and bike you really want. If you really do like the black, go for it! Either way, you'll love the '13 RT.

Dave sounds like MAX BMW is giving you a nice deal. Take the bike. ASC is a option that you may never use but it may save you from going down or wiping out. My 2012 is loaded. I paid extra for the ASC at the dealer. I also have the 49 liter top case in silver. Have not gotten around to painting it yet. The BMW NAV is a BMW promotion. I believe it is a $800 value. If you can afford it and are ready to buy then go for it. Sounds like a winner to me. I paid extra for my topcase, ASC, BMW GPS NAV and my 600 mile service.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Visibility. How visible is the black bike?

I know people have told me the black helmet, which I always used was not as visible.

So my plan now is to go with a silver helmet.

I know the black is visible to us, as riders, but what about to Granny, or Aunt Madge when she is about to make that left turn in front of you?

dc

I bought my RT used and, though it is silver, when I went to give it a first wash, I noticed that it had 3M clear protective film over it. As in, every single body panel as well as the headlight. I don't know where the guy got it done (he had the headers ceramic coated, too), but it's a nice touch and makes it incredibly easy to keep clean & free of nicks, scratches & small dings in the paint job.

The tech who put it on did a killer job, too, because I never noticed it until I washed it. No bubbles, no crinkling, nothing. The only place I noticed it before then was the leading edge of the side cases.

You want the black bike...buy it and try not to worry about granny, she will not see the orange one either.

How true is that. :thumbsup:

Heck, (John q) has a hard time seeing big red fire trucks with flashing lights and sirens a blazing.

I think everyone here knows that we as riders are basically invisible out there. Hiviz day-glow bright whatever. Don't trust anyone!

Pat

One day I was driving a school bus that happened to catch on fire.

Flames and smoke, I still had people pull out in front of me as I headed for an empty parking lot in case of explosion...

don't count on anyone seeing you ever.

Pat, I remember a post from a few years ago where someone didn't see a fire truck with lights and sirens on and ran into it which proves your point. Guess that means we can keep our black GS's. :grin:

I had a gray 2012 1200RT. I was at the dealer one day and saw the new black 90th anniversary edition on the showroom floor and just had to have it. I really liked the black color with the bronze accents and darker gray wheels. My 2012 only had 6,000 miles on it and I traded it in on the black bike, that's how good it looks.

some cracking deals on 2013 bikes at the moment! if its new Id grab it with both hands...

If I had enough cash Id also get a GS with all the clunky boxes and the off road stuff as well, and Id get a ,,, Oh, I don't have enough cash, and Santa has already bought my 2013 model so have to wait another few years before I get anything else.

That being said the latest R1200RT in dark grey is just a dream bike to ride...

I am just waiting for Max to open on Tuesday to see if we are able to seal the deal.

Well,did you get it?

Remember,it did not happen,without pics.

JR356

Not yet. I have been going back and forth with Max for a week. We originally agreed on $20,000 for the midnight blue with 49 liter top box, 600 mile service, bmw nav and ipod adaptor. This was out the door minus sales tax.

The blue bike had ASC.

The black bike does not have ASC so it has to be installed by MAX. They are now saying the lowest they could go is $20,400 out the door minus sales tax. I assume the additional $400 is because of the ASC install and the fact that the black bike has a slightly higher msrp. It is now up to me to swpend the money.

Nice bike.

Screw around long enough and it will be gone.

Not many of these left,

MB>

+1 - Black, in my opinion, is the best for a BMW and certainly the easiest to touch up and hide any scratches or dings.

Buy it! :thumbsup:

I bought a 2013 RT in grey (specifically sought out one w/o the comm package, as I wasn't willing to shell out for Schuberth helmets (2), BMW-specific communicators, etc. to get the thing to work right -- about a $1400 hit -- especially after having already invested in Senna comm gear), and if I had it to do over again, I'd have ponied up the extra for the black anniversary edition, for sure. The first year of water cooled RT (2014) may well have some bugs to work out, and according to the wrench at my dealer, all that extra plumbing is likely to drive up maintenance & repair costs. I got mine in May and have about 6,300 miles on it so far -- best bike I've ever owned and a joy to ride. Don't hold back; that's a killer price for a 90 Jahre, and they look even (way) better in daylight than under the fluorescent lights at the dealership. Unless it comes with Metzler tires, I would recommend getting a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's spooned on before you take delivery -- they're much better tires than stock, and your dealer may credit you some for the stockies if they're still new. Good luck with the purchase, and let us know how it goes.

If you look closely, you can see a small speck of drool coming off my lip as Tom K shows me his new black anniversary edition RT. Ok ok, maybe it was drool leftover from the Q but man that bike sure was pretty! :thumbsup:

DSC08156.JPG

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

After all the negotiations with Max BMW I may end up passing on the bike. Over the summer I had inquired on and looked at a 2009 Silver 1200RT with 700 original miles. It has ESA, radio and 49 liter top box. He had the first service done and it has been sitting in a single storage unit for a couple years. It started right up and sounded good. He was asking $12,500 and came down to $11000 by the end of the summer. His bottom line is $10,500. It would be nice to save $9000 over a new one. I figured I could ride it a couple years and sell it if I decided the water cooled version is what I want. Wouldn't lose much money.

What is anyone's thought on this? Pros and cons?

2009 for that money is good. You'll to do some service.

Buy bike, farkle bike to your liking, RIDE.

Be done with it.

Good luck with the purchase.

2009 Silver 1200RT with 700 original miles. :thumbsup: It has ESA, radio and 49 liter top box. :thumbsup: It would be nice to save $9000 over a new one. :thumbsup:

Three thumbs up, hey ya can't do much better than that! ;) Honestly, not much difference between the two bikes, go for it.

Pat

Lack of warranty is a concern -- but at that price and with only 700 miles, you can self-insure with that $9000 in the bank. Ride it for 10k miles and it'll still be a great low-mileage trade-in. Good find - enjoy!

Lack of warranty is my number 1 concern. The other is that it has been sitting for two years. I will have to have all fluids changed and have a brake fluid flush. Good chance the fuel strip will end up failing. Hopefully that is all that will need to be done. Tires should be ok. I am going to take another look and a short test ride as soon as we get a warmer day.

Yeeha! Stephen
I think the paint will hold up for the next 20-30 years if you take care of it. BMW N43 Black Sapphire metallic paint looks great as long as it is clean. Black can show swirl marks and dust a bit more.

So does the Midnight Blue he wanted.... I have one.

Archived